HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

hoys

I love it when a plan comes together.

Was looking to wire in my fuel pressure sender to the ECU. Turns out the now obsolete PIM is a 5V sensor. Repin the wires and hook the PIM signal up in the ECUMaster adapter, bam fuel pressure.

5J5FodZ.jpg

hoys

abeans":3n3gh10v said:
Very nice. I admire your quality of work.

Do you do some form of engineering/car modding for a living?

I used to work for an automotive electronic's company that was more OE facing. I've been modifying cars for about 10 or so years now and I've picked up a few tricks here and there, certainly not a professional by any means. Some of the work I did there for the aftermarket community is featured here:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/sky ... verything/

Wait till you see some of the stuff I'm working on for the new display though :)

hoys

Was starting down the path of tuning the car and ran into some issues. Mainly that the base fuel pressure was way too high. Silly me picked too small of a fuel pressure regulator for the pump I have. It's pretty big in bold lettering on the product page but I didn't read it. Oh well.

Purchased a Turbosmart FPR1200 to deal with this issue. It's slightly bigger than the Radium Bosch-derived unit and requires a different mounting solution. I can probably make do with the bracket that comes with it, but figured I'd make a nice bracket.

oyFUssx.png

78LfHDf.png

Just got the adapter in hand and ordered the new bracket.

If you ever want to get some cool parts I highly suggest www.sendcutsend.com. Really affordable pricing and quick turn-around. They made my TB adapter plate as well as some other misc things I've needed. They also have a bending service that will be bending the bracket I designed!

hoys

Some updates:

Completed bracket holding FPR:

wGhYtk6.jpg

It was the same price to order 5 of these as it was to order 1, so I have spares if anyone is interested.

Been driving the car a good bit after a decent base tune. I even put in a wee bit of boost to about 12psi. Car is suuuper fun. Dies off around 4,000 RPM, but that's about where the tuning stopped so it needs more work up top. I really just wanted to look at thermals and protect anything that was getting too toasty.

I modified the stock heat shield to fit over the turbine housing. Just had to cut the driver's side area to fit over the new center section fittings and it bolts right on. The alternator duct does not work any longer with the new downpipe. I might look into EPS and move the alternator to the position it is on the MR2. The oil drain from the turbo was also getting a bit too hot so I've ordered some fire sleeve to go over it.

The IATs are a bit high for my liking. I'm going to move a few things around and see if I can lower them.

VbgYB2t.png

I started to test fit the Mako Motorsports cluster with my ECUMaster ADU7. The ADU fits perfectly but the cluster doesn't fit well into the car. It is 3D printed so I could just shave it down, but I sent an email to Mako about the fitment with no reply (yet).

ebLQlOx.jpg

Hits pretty hard on both corners. It looks like from their rendering on the website there is supposed to be a chamfer here to allow it to fit. Mine doesn't have that.

Ez8tDiy.png

7EmroVW.jpg

Roreri

That color is sooooo sweet! Jealous. I saw Colorado Springs on the first post and got excited because I'm looking to retire there relatively soon, but then saw you're in Ohio.

Inspiring read. I have to find an a2w intercooler and get that done sometime. The previous owner did the CS hood and front bumper but kept the a2a. It gets hot.

hoys

It's been a bit so I figured I would update again!

Been a bit slow with the car due to life and a few other things, but all is well.

Decided to try some of the cheap LED headlights. Can always easily go back!

Nb9CfpU.jpg

5ykzizh.jpg

The A2W IC really wasn't good enough. Bought a cheap IC kit that had most of the piping needed. Had to do a bunch of modification to make it work, but it seems decent. Designed and got some brackets laser cut to mount really well.

CNM9BRA.jpg

a0Z5Ouz.jpg

GP0sVee.jpg

With the new IC setup, no real space left in the engine bay for the battery.

Relocating to the trunk in the spare wheel well. The spare tire had a DOT code from 1991 so wouldn't do me much anyway...

7U66jNE.jpg

ug1Zi1v.png

Did a small 3D scan of the trunk and designed a bracket to hold the battery in place towards the front of the car. There is a small shelf in the spare wheel well it sits nicely into. The bracket mounts to the spare tire mount. Should be here soon. It's an AGM battery so no venting needed. Ran a 2ga and 6ga for positive and ground respectively to allow for easier trickle charge from studs in the engine bay. Cables are easy to run till you get to the door sill.

jrvGm9o.jpg

j7f1mpR.jpg

alltracman78

Nice attention to detail! I like your brackets and such.
And interesting color. Same as mine. I take it you like it? I'm sort of on the fence. I wish it was more green. Looks good though.

Don't use a smaller gauge for the battery ground though. You'll fry the wire. Ground ALWAYS has to be at least as large as power. Both wires have to handle the same amount of amps. Unless your running crazy low amps for the wire size the ground will melt.

hoys

alltracman78":1l49phqj said:
Nice attention to detail! I like your brackets and such.
And interesting color. Same as mine. I take it you like it? I'm sort of on the fence. I wish it was more green. Looks good though.

Don't use a smaller gauge for the battery ground though. You'll fry the wire. Ground ALWAYS has to be at least as large as power. Both wires have to handle the same amount of amps. Unless your running crazy low amps for the wire size the ground will melt.

Thanks! I get a bit too carried away with detail sometime though hah! The color its really great and stands out a bit.

I'll be grounding the battery to the chassis in the trunk area as well as running a ground back to the front. I didn't entirely trust the path from the front to the rear so the additional ground seemed like a good idea. Modern cars with batteries removed from the engine bay have sheet metal specifically designed around the notion of the return trip for electrons. I can't count on that entirely in this old of a car!

alltracman78

The color looks different in your pictures. Looks nice.
Mine is covered with dust and hasn't been washed in years (not as bad as your earlier pics though). Could use some buffing too.

If your total ground is as large your good. It looked like that was your only ground. The large wire is basically for the starter anyways.

As long as you can still see the forest for the trees details are what separates the good from the great.

Tippo

alltracman78":22npx8dg said:
The color looks different in your pictures. Looks nice.
Mine is covered with dust and hasn't been washed in years (not as bad as your earlier pics though). Could use some buffing too.

If your total ground is as large your good. It looked like that was your only ground. The large wire is basically for the starter anyways.

As long as you can still see the forest for the trees details are what separates the good from the great.

We apparently have triplets! Such a rare year/color so glad to see them still alive. All your machines look so much better than Lazarus though. Kudos on the build as well here.

hoys

wcS6R5B.jpg

Alive again and on the road. Was waiting on some tubing to make the intake. Hoping to put a few miles on it. Checking my fuelups, the last time I put gas in was a whole year ago... Need to drive it more!