HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Talk about your project car here

Re: HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Postby hoys » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Alikazam wrote:What diameter TB is that? Just curious for reference.

Same as stock. Roughly 57mm. I think the stock size is just fine for any normal power levels.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
hoys
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:23 am

Any chance you came across any that fit the gen 3 factory intake manifold?
I'm also in the DBW is better camp, but clearly we are outliers within the 3sgte community.
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby hoys » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm

grip-addict wrote:Any chance you came across any that fit the gen 3 factory intake manifold?
I'm also in the DBW is better camp, but clearly we are outliers within the 3sgte community.

Do you know the dimensions of the gen3 TB? Bolt pattern and blade size?

There is a good chance there is a bosch motorsports TB available:

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/conten ... e_Body.pdf

I found the match as noted above by a lot of forum surfing. I also used photoshop to take the factory gasket and line it up in Photoshop with pictures of the throttle body.
hoys
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Gen 3 Id is 60 mm. The bolts are 72 mm center to center.
I've looked at them in the past but I think an adapter plate would need to be made to fit the 60 or 68mm bosch tb to the intake flange. I don't mean to thread jack tho, was just wondering if you saw anything drop in :)

Definitely curious to see how you handle the pedal part, too.
Thanks
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby hoys » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 pm

TB is back from getting the mounting holes enlarged. Here are pictures roughly mounted with an adapter plate I had made to allow for the normal gasket to seal to the manifold and a custom gasket to seal the TB. The OE gasket is on the wrong side of the adapter in the picture, but you get the idea.

hoys
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:22 pm

that fits very nicely!
I'm curious to see what the adapter plate looks like, did you have to add a ridge/inset to seal the channel from the IAC?
Also, do you have a mill? Jealous if so :notworthy:
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby hoys » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:58 am

grip-addict wrote:that fits very nicely!
I'm curious to see what the adapter plate looks like, did you have to add a ridge/inset to seal the channel from the IAC?
Also, do you have a mill? Jealous if so :notworthy:

The adapter plate is essentially just a flat plate of aluminum that covers the entirety of the stock gasket. No inset etc for the IAC, just blocking it off. Not "optimal" but it works. I just ordered the plates from a laser cutting place online. Easy and cheap, like 30 bucks shipped for four of them. I ordered 1/8th inch aluminum which might not be enough, but I can double stack them.
hoys
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:48 am

Looks like there is a lip inside? Might need to see about cutting that out or grinding to make it open up to the TB actual opening size. As for gasket, you might look at some of the DIY gasket material to cut out a gasket that blocks the factory IAC opening part and has the right opening for the TB. Looks good! :)
1990 Celica Alltrac - Emma
Gen 3 engine
KO Racing Street Brawler - Precision 5130 Turbo
KO Racing In Factory ECU Case - Link G4x ECU
327 AWHP @ 18psi - pump gas
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby hoys » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Alikazam wrote:Looks like there is a lip inside? Might need to see about cutting that out or grinding to make it open up to the TB actual opening size. As for gasket, you might look at some of the DIY gasket material to cut out a gasket that blocks the factory IAC opening part and has the right opening for the TB. Looks good! :)

Getting the manifold ported would certainly be ideal. I'm really just preparing the rest of the car for future plans when the stock engine bites the dust. Getting all the features of the ECU up and running on this engine is mainly just a testbed.

The adapter plate I made will block off the factory IAC opening section with the factory gasket and then the DBW TB will seal to the adapter plate.
hoys
Club Member

Postby rallygarage » Sat May 01, 2021 2:52 pm

I was told that there is a Lexus sold in Europe that has a fly by wire throttle body that fits 3sgte directly. The idea was to get a dog gear kit with sequential shifter adapter from SQS. I am told they work well. That combined with drive by wire throttle will allow programing of flat shift ECU function like you have in sequential transmission application. I want to try that in my rally car. Somebody did it on a ST205 rally car there. Worked well.
rallygarage
Club Member

Postby hoys » Thu May 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Throttle body fully mounted. I needed to stack two of my adapter plates to space it correctly. If I was a stickler I'd reorder the plates in a thicker aluminum, but this will work fine.

This is what the plate looks like from the manifold side with a new gasket:

I also designed and printed a custom DBW pedal adapter.

The pedal is a touch too far away from the brake pedal, but I can worry about that later, just trying to get this boy on the road soon.

Next up: Wiring the throttle pedal and throttle body to the ECU
hoys
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project