HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Talk about your project car here

Re: HOYS' ST185 Res-Q

Postby hoys » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:12 pm

AC compressor rebuilt. A pretty easy process. Make sure to replace the O Rings on the speed (lock) sensor and on the back housing's bypass manifold.

System is still leaking somewhere. Seeing how bad all of the orings were on the compressor I'm going to go through and replace as many as I can on the system to see if it fixes the leak. The leak is certainly slower than usual.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
hoys
Club Member

Postby hoys » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:29 am

As expected after watching the Binky video about the ID 1050x injectors, they hit the bosses in the cylinder pretty hard. Contacted ID and they are shipping me adapters to try and move the injector body upwards. It looks like this is a configurable option from the get go, just isn't the listed part number for the 3SGTE.

https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/wp-co ... .14B.4.jpg

The PN is 1050.60.14.14B. Has both a top and bottom "hat".
hoys
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 pm

hoys wrote:AC compressor rebuilt. A pretty easy process. Make sure to replace the O Rings on the speed (lock) sensor and on the back housing's bypass manifold.

System is still leaking somewhere. Seeing how bad all of the orings were on the compressor I'm going to go through and replace as many as I can on the system to see if it fixes the leak. The leak is certainly slower than usual.

I would not have thought to do that when reinstalling my AC so thanks for pointing that out.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby hoys » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

underscore wrote:
hoys wrote:AC compressor rebuilt. A pretty easy process. Make sure to replace the O Rings on the speed (lock) sensor and on the back housing's bypass manifold.

I would not have thought to do that when reinstalling my AC so thanks for pointing that out.

A few sneaky ones: High pressure side sensor is not a tapered thread but uses an O-Ring to seal. Use a wrench on the line's fitting when removing to make sure you don't twist the crap out of the line.

There are also four in the cabin on both sides of the expansion valve. I haven't done those but I figure they are in better shape than the ones in the engine bay. Also my vehicle had the expansion valve recall done in 1993 so it has newer rings than most of the system...kinda :wink:

I just grabbed a universal A/C O-Ring kit from the local parts store and it had everything I needed.

After testing some more I believe that the system is actually sealing well under vacuum its just the manifold gauge set I have isn't the best. That's what I get for buying the cheap stuff :(
hoys
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Are the expansion valve ones somewhat accessible or does a bunch of stuff need to be pulled out to get to them? I've had the lines open for ~8 years and the firewall connectors have been totally exposed for the last 4 which I'm guessing isn't great for them.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby hoys » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:43 pm

underscore wrote:Are the expansion valve ones somewhat accessible or does a bunch of stuff need to be pulled out to get to them? I've had the lines open for ~8 years and the firewall connectors have been totally exposed for the last 4 which I'm guessing isn't great for them.

You essentially need to pull the evaporator core to get to the expansion valve. You should replace the valve (and possibly the core) if your lines have been open that long.
hoys
Club Member

Postby underscore » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 pm

The core is the one inside the HVAC boxes in the cabin right? Sorry I'm really bad with A/C stuff. Thank you for all the pointers.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby hoys » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am

underscore wrote:The core is the one inside the HVAC boxes in the cabin right? Sorry I'm really bad with A/C stuff. Thank you for all the pointers.

Correct.
hoys
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project