Project LOLTRAC, or ST185 BS - a USDM Alltrac restoration

EvilStig

I had to take a break from the car for a couple weeks to work on the house. Now I'm back at it and ready to show probably my favorite accomplishment yet. But we'll get to that.... this will be a quick post since I only have abt 15m.

Only a damn fool wouldn't replace the hose from hell if they're already this deep in the engine. so I did.

and added some extra protection

now we're getting to the good part. Originally I intended to wrap the wheel in rubber sheet first to add OEM-like padding behind the leather for that thicker original feel, however I quickly determined that it was impossible to do by hand, so I abandoned that idea.

Natural deer hide, painted to match OEM toyota shadow grey using a custom SEM SureCoat.

It was a long process. Had to measure, cut, sew, test fit, measure, cut, un-sew, measure, mark, cut, measure, mark, sew, fit again, then begin sewing around the preimeter of the wheel...

Getting the spokes right was the hardest part. The measurements had to be exact, and the curves had to match, and the stitching and tension had to be right, and you couldn't stretch it properly when stitching the first side, since you needed the tension on both sides... it was a nightmare. Each spoke took between one and two hours just for the spoke.

Finally the finished product! Used a touch of steam to try and smooth out the last wrinkles with mixed success. Washed some remaining washable marker off with saddle soap and water, then sealed with mink oil. The leather had never been oiled before so it was thirsty! Total work time from initial measuring and cutting of material to completion: about 18 hours over 2 days.

was too dark to see when I installed it back in the car but couldn't wait to get a picture anyway.

And here it is! the interior is finally finished!

As the finishing touch on the interior, a dedication plaque to the one for whom this project is named.

EvilStig

finished assembly of bumper and lights. Replaced droopy headlight motor.

2 months of waiting and it's finally arrived, newly refurbished by ATS

final test fitment of the intercooler

So close....

Cleaned up just a bit with some masking tape and engine enamel

Core itself required a little body filler to level the dents. Didn't need to be perfect...

While that was drying I created a harness for the 02 sensor to send an emulated signal to the ECU and simulate the resistance of the heater circuit. I'll probably mount it...somewhere.

I'm a wee bit cramped for space in here. IC installed. Tape to remind me it's not filled yet.

Someone suggested I should make this photo B&W so here you go.

Okay so I noticed the ST205 IC core has a hose connector on the back of it which appears roughly the same size as the one on the back of the manifold (not visible). Is the functionality meant to be the same or is it there for some other purpose? Could I use it to send pressure to my EBC and boost gauge? or should I just cap it and stick to using the one on the back of the manifold? Or, is there another use entirely that this was intended for?

underscore

I would think the one on the back of the manifold would be more accurate as it's after the throttle body.

EvilStig

underscore":1k9x6vbm said:
I would think the one on the back of the manifold would be more accurate as it's after the throttle body.
Ok thanks, guess I just need to figure out how to reach it then... lol

EvilStig

very very carefully dissected the snap together plastic wire loom... so I could shoehorn in the new o2 sensor wires.

I didn't break any plastic tabs but I still don't trust it, so tape it is!

initial reassembly completed!

The car runs and drives, so I'm counting this as a success and moving out of the garage for the day

Unfortunately runs and drives doesn't mean well... it suffers from the same idle problems as before.

Does anyone know what this does? it connects under the bumper support. Looks to me like an ambient thermometer but afaik my model wouldn't do anything with that info so idk.

Also, what does this connect to? like I very distinctly remember the top bit with the bolt connects to the block and it hangs down toward the exhaust pipe... but what screws into the lower bit? I thought like an exhaust mounting bracket of some sort, but I can't find any such part floating around the garage!

a year in the making, it's finally garage cleaning day!

took me until 3AM but it's done... and ready for the next phase of the project.

Since the idle issue persisted, the next stage is going to involve pulling the engine one way or another... so I ordered A JDM RC motor with 55k miles on it. It should arrive with the turbo, RC intercooler, A/C compressor, alternator, transmission, ECU, and who knows what else attached... so while I wait for its arrival, I sourced a 2.25 ton engine hoist on craigslist and a 1/2 ton stand on harbor freight.

any thoughts on the primedriven clear cam gear cover? I'm considering grabbing one for the new motor.

FC Zach

EvilStig":2sms46sm said:

Does anyone know what this does? it connects under the bumper support. Looks to me like an ambient thermometer but afaik my model wouldn't do anything with that info so idk.
That's exactly what that is, for auto climate control. . Which you do have according to pictures on the previous page. Is this a '92 or '93?

Also, what does this connect to? like I very distinctly remember the top bit with the bolt connects to the block and it hangs down toward the exhaust pipe... but what screws into the lower bit? I thought like an exhaust mounting bracket of some sort, but I can't find any such part floating around the garage!
That looks like a block to bell housing brace.
47956774308_181cd4d893_z.jpg

any thoughts on the primedriven clear cam gear cover? I'm considering grabbing one for the new motor.
Not sure about that particular brand but I have a clear cover from a different company and it has discolored and cracked, I need to replace it but I still want a see through cover for inspection so I'd like to know as well.

EvilStig

FC Zach":3cfwpbjf said:
That's exactly what that is, for auto climate control. . Which you do have according to pictures on the previous page. Is this a '92 or '93?
Makes sense... '92

My SRS light is on since I re-did everything so I've been looking for unplugged sensors etc, haven't found any others yet.

Your picture shows accurately where and how it connects to the block, but the bell housing is nowhere near close enough to there. It's directly behind the cat and downpipe (and the construction is the same as the cat support brackets) hence I thought it was some kind of support for the exhaust flange, but I can find nothing nearby that would actually attach to it.

Not sure about that particular brand but I have a clear cover from a different company and it has discolored and cracked, I need to replace it but I still want a see through cover for inspection so I'd like to know as well.

primedriven is the distributor I guess the cover is zakleecorp.com or something, link here. It's expensive but the only gen2 cover I could seem to find (ostensibly gen 3-5 are different)

FC Zach

EvilStig":1umeyhv2 said:
Your picture shows accurately where and how it connects to the block, but the bell housing is nowhere near close enough to there. It's directly behind the cat and downpipe (and the construction is the same as the cat support brackets) hence I thought it was some kind of support for the exhaust flange, but I can find nothing nearby that would actually attach to it.
If I remember, I'll get (try to at least) an image of where the end attaches.

EvilStig":1umeyhv2 said:
primedriven is the distributor I guess the cover is zakleecorp.com or something, link here. It's expensive but the only gen2 cover I could seem to find (ostensibly gen 3-5 are different)

alltrac801":1umeyhv2 said:
What Brand is your clear cam gear cover? I've also contemplated buying one but didn't know how well they lasted.

Yep that's what I have. .
16032643620_b15851657f_z.jpg

and in short time has gone to shit even though, per the instructions, I applied light pressure to the hardware (notice the button-head screws, I used these specifically so I wouldn't over tighten) to prevent damage to the housing.
39178408695_9557fb056f_z.jpg

Now, with that said, I thought I had read somewhere that there was or may have been a revision to this part.

alltrac801

I was looking at buying one when I got my other engine finished but with seeing how yours didnt last I'll probably pass. I just think the look of the clear cover is cool lol.

FC Zach

alltrac801":3vh0zunm said:
I was looking at buying one when I got my other engine finished but with seeing how yours didnt last I'll probably pass. I just think the look of the clear cover is cool lol.

Something to think about. . aside from the cool looking factor, it is a useful tool. If it weren't for the cover and the ability to visually inspect my belt, I would have been left stranded. This isn't something that just happens and shouldn't be a concern to anyone (unless swapping parts) but my belt was wearing away due to a faulty tensioner pulley assembly I purchased from RockAuto which was pulling the belt inward and rubbing against the assy. Aside from that, it's nice to see belt condition and the presence of oil should there be a front main and/or cam seal leak.

35535184713_354d014a20_z.jpg

35535183963_b46e3a8284_z.jpg

36207224911_89bea3bd9f_z.jpg

Even though mine degraded in short time, I'll buy another. . that's mostly only because there's no other option out there that I know of.

EvilStig

yeah I really think that since I'm putting in a new motor I should get that while it's out so I can avoid pulling it later to inspect the belt.

FC Zach

FC Zach":3vs6i9iz said:

EvilStig":3vs6i9iz said:

47974327063_b2d008264e_z.jpg

It's hard to see but there might be another piece there, I can't tell for sure. Hell, to get this picture, I had to hold the phone between the rad and turbo upside down with two fingers while holding a flashlight in the other hand. . Needles to say, this is the best view your gonna get from me without having to pull stuff off.

EvilStig

FC Zach":2k8mei9j said:
It's hard to see but there might be another piece there, I can't tell for sure. Hell, to get this picture, I had to hold the phone between the rad and turbo upside down with two fingers while holding a flashlight in the other hand. . Needles to say, this is the best view your gonna get from me without having to pull stuff off.

An impressive photo all things considering!

You're right, it looks like a bolt goes through it from the other side, in the direction of the bell housing.... hmmmm.... I'll have another look at mine tonight.

EvilStig

Look what arrived today! I spent entirely too much money on it... a JDM ST185H (GT-Four RC) motor with attached transmission and front diff.

For the first time ever I can see the back side of the engine... more on that later.

Right off the bat I'm noticing a number of differences between this motor and mine. Like for example this part of my motor is crowded with vacuum tubes and vacuum actuated devices, while this one is not. I really hope this sensor is even supported with my wire harness.

This looks like part of an electronic boost controller. I'll need to research more on it later.

back side of that part with what looks like a part number.

Let's play "spot all the times they just said 'fuck it' and cut the engine out with a plasma torch.

I'm either really good at this game or it's just really easy.

back side of the manifold where no man can see or reach with the motor in the car

closer up you can see vacuum tubing and more vacuum devices! oh joy! perhaps this is the source of the boost leak I couldn't find on my motor with it in the car...

Cleverly, previous owner covered the entire underside and front of the intercooler with heat shielding. I should probably attempt to do the same to my ST205IC

This post-MAF sensor is something I don't have on mine... not sure what it is....

but it's broken out from the MAF sensor harness using what looks like 120vAC stranded cable or oversized speaker wire.

This plastic loom looks really out of place here, but I've never dug deep enough in my engine to know if I have the same.

mystery previous owner tap and splice. Comes out of the same harness junction as the MAP sensor.

More sketchy looking taps and splices, these ones coming off the ECU

This is honestly rather concerning given the blackbox nature of this device and my limited ability to figure it out.

back to that other wire harness, there's a second device next to the MAP sensor which isn't on mine...

mine has some other vacuum thingy here instead.

Since I had previously been very curious about the design and functionality of this part of the RC motor (the timing belt cooler boot for the RC hood), I figured I'd post some detailed pics and analysis while I had the opportunity.

You can see here it's really just a smaller plastic part bolted on to the valve cover.

At the same location on my USDM motor, you can see a small gap/hole between the timing belt cover and the valve cover. I'm wondering now if that boot is really nothing more than a funnel to direct air from the hood scoop into that gap. If so, it should be trivial to custom fab an aftermarket replacement for the part to fit USDM motors.

Another view where you can see at least one of the bolts it attaches to on the RC motor is also present on the USDM one.

more detail on the RC part.

Last pic for now... I never noticed before the timing belt cover says Yamaha on it. That part is covered up by AC plumbing on mine so I can't see without removing the motor (which I am doing soon enough now...)

Stay tuned for more updates!

underscore

That sensor in the intake is weird. I'd check the part number on the ECU (and open it up), maybe someone did some kind of ghetto ECU swap.

alltracman78

It's an older style Toyota intake temp sensor. Our cars have the intake temp sensor in the AFM. Looks like for whatever reason they cut the one in the AFM out and used one they installed in the intake tube.
Also, it looks like that AFM connector is a regular one, not a homologation one. Post up a pic of the AFM itself.

The homologation engine is almost 100% identical to the regular 185 engine. Aside from the AFM connector you can take that engine and stick it right in a regular 92/93 185 and the harness will connect right up. You can run either engine with either ECU.
You can even run either AFM with either ECU (I've done it out of curiosity, not for an extended period of time. But it accelerated and ran fine. No codes, no stumbling, nothing.). I'm not suggesting you should, just that it's doable.

The different stuff is due to JDM vs USDM stuff and not homologation vs non homologation.

That "device next to the MAP sensor" is an electronic AC idle up. USDM uses a vacuum one.
The vacuum lines are slightly different for the EVAP and lack of an EGR.