Project LOLTRAC, or ST185 BS - a USDM Alltrac restoration

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project LOLTRAC, or ST185 BS - a USDM Alltrac restoratio

Postby EvilStig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:16 am

Interior at ~90%. Waiting on one switch for the dash, and have a few more things to tidy up.

found a well-preserved GT liftback at pick n pull today, nabbed some floor mats and a deck lid, although they're blue so I'll repaint them tomorrow. Bleached them tonight and are letting them dry overnight.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby gt4ferko » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Looks great! Keep it up!
gt4ferko
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:30 pm

okay so I guess my old potato camera took better color pictures after all...

was not expecting to find something so big when I took my motorcycle to the scrapyard...

After a thorough shampooing

these (and the lid) were surprisingly color-fast. Tried 10% bleach solution first, ended up soaking them in 100%, and they were still only slightly lighter blue.

after bleaching

really very happy with how the cockpit is looking.

painting

comparison old and new. Came out darker than I was hoping, won't match the fronts unless I paint them too, and I'm not prepared to commit to that since the fronts are still kinda nice as they are.

also worth noting: left rear mat fit perfectly, but right rear did not, as the edge lifts up by the tunnel, which is wider than on the standard liftback for obvious reasons.

finished intercooler plumbing, filled and tested

current issue: pump is loud, and gets louder when you tighten down the mounting clamps. I dropped it a few times during test fitments and wonder if I broke something. I'm ordering a spare to be safe, going to try some rubber isolators in the meantime.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 am

The hatch privacy lid you picked up. . did you test fit that? I ask because it has the cutout for a third brake light and since ours is in the spoiler, you'll obviously have an open void.
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby EvilStig » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:12 am

FC Zach wrote:The hatch privacy lid you picked up. . did you test fit that? I ask because it has the cutout for a third brake light and since ours is in the spoiler, you'll obviously have an open void.

yep did a test fit, it's the same except for the brakelight cutout. I knew there would be a gap there but it's really not noticeable with the hatch down anyway.

I was going to take some pics of it installed but didn't get around to it yet. Looks good.

I spent most of the day today cleaning up the house after some shitty housemates I evicted, so I didn't get a lot done on the car... but I did get the manifold, downpipe, and cat back from the cerakote shop, and spent some time chasing the threads of all the studs and sockets, and fitting the heat shielding back on.

EvilStig
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:13 pm

I had to take a break from the car for a couple weeks to work on the house. Now I'm back at it and ready to show probably my favorite accomplishment yet. But we'll get to that.... this will be a quick post since I only have abt 15m.

Only a damn fool wouldn't replace the hose from hell if they're already this deep in the engine. so I did.

and added some extra protection

now we're getting to the good part. Originally I intended to wrap the wheel in rubber sheet first to add OEM-like padding behind the leather for that thicker original feel, however I quickly determined that it was impossible to do by hand, so I abandoned that idea.

Natural deer hide, painted to match OEM toyota shadow grey using a custom SEM SureCoat.

It was a long process. Had to measure, cut, sew, test fit, measure, cut, un-sew, measure, mark, cut, measure, mark, sew, fit again, then begin sewing around the preimeter of the wheel...

Getting the spokes right was the hardest part. The measurements had to be exact, and the curves had to match, and the stitching and tension had to be right, and you couldn't stretch it properly when stitching the first side, since you needed the tension on both sides... it was a nightmare. Each spoke took between one and two hours just for the spoke.

Finally the finished product! Used a touch of steam to try and smooth out the last wrinkles with mixed success. Washed some remaining washable marker off with saddle soap and water, then sealed with mink oil. The leather had never been oiled before so it was thirsty! Total work time from initial measuring and cutting of material to completion: about 18 hours over 2 days.

was too dark to see when I installed it back in the car but couldn't wait to get a picture anyway.

And here it is! the interior is finally finished!

As the finishing touch on the interior, a dedication plaque to the one for whom this project is named.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby gt4ferko » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Looks legit. I like what you're doing.
gt4ferko
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Thu May 23, 2019 6:28 am

finished assembly of bumper and lights. Replaced droopy headlight motor.

2 months of waiting and it's finally arrived, newly refurbished by ATS

final test fitment of the intercooler

So close....

Cleaned up just a bit with some masking tape and engine enamel

Core itself required a little body filler to level the dents. Didn't need to be perfect...

While that was drying I created a harness for the 02 sensor to send an emulated signal to the ECU and simulate the resistance of the heater circuit. I'll probably mount it...somewhere.

I'm a wee bit cramped for space in here. IC installed. Tape to remind me it's not filled yet.

Someone suggested I should make this photo B&W so here you go.

Okay so I noticed the ST205 IC core has a hose connector on the back of it which appears roughly the same size as the one on the back of the manifold (not visible). Is the functionality meant to be the same or is it there for some other purpose? Could I use it to send pressure to my EBC and boost gauge? or should I just cap it and stick to using the one on the back of the manifold? Or, is there another use entirely that this was intended for?
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby underscore » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

I would think the one on the back of the manifold would be more accurate as it's after the throttle body.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby EvilStig » Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

underscore wrote:I would think the one on the back of the manifold would be more accurate as it's after the throttle body.

Ok thanks, guess I just need to figure out how to reach it then... lol
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby EvilStig » Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 am

very very carefully dissected the snap together plastic wire loom... so I could shoehorn in the new o2 sensor wires.

I didn't break any plastic tabs but I still don't trust it, so tape it is!

initial reassembly completed!

The car runs and drives, so I'm counting this as a success and moving out of the garage for the day

Unfortunately runs and drives doesn't mean well... it suffers from the same idle problems as before.

Does anyone know what this does? it connects under the bumper support. Looks to me like an ambient thermometer but afaik my model wouldn't do anything with that info so idk.

Also, what does this connect to? like I very distinctly remember the top bit with the bolt connects to the block and it hangs down toward the exhaust pipe... but what screws into the lower bit? I thought like an exhaust mounting bracket of some sort, but I can't find any such part floating around the garage!

a year in the making, it's finally garage cleaning day!

took me until 3AM but it's done... and ready for the next phase of the project.

Since the idle issue persisted, the next stage is going to involve pulling the engine one way or another... so I ordered A JDM RC motor with 55k miles on it. It should arrive with the turbo, RC intercooler, A/C compressor, alternator, transmission, ECU, and who knows what else attached... so while I wait for its arrival, I sourced a 2.25 ton engine hoist on craigslist and a 1/2 ton stand on harbor freight.

any thoughts on the primedriven clear cam gear cover? I'm considering grabbing one for the new motor.
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 am

EvilStig wrote:Image
Does anyone know what this does? it connects under the bumper support. Looks to me like an ambient thermometer but afaik my model wouldn't do anything with that info so idk.

That's exactly what that is, for auto climate control. . Which you do have according to pictures on the previous page. Is this a '92 or '93?

EvilStig wrote:Image
Also, what does this connect to? like I very distinctly remember the top bit with the bolt connects to the block and it hangs down toward the exhaust pipe... but what screws into the lower bit? I thought like an exhaust mounting bracket of some sort, but I can't find any such part floating around the garage!

That looks like a block to bell housing brace.

EvilStig wrote:any thoughts on the primedriven clear cam gear cover? I'm considering grabbing one for the new motor.

Not sure about that particular brand but I have a clear cover from a different company and it has discolored and cracked, I need to replace it but I still want a see through cover for inspection so I'd like to know as well.
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby alltrac801 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:00 pm

What Brand is your clear cam gear cover? I've also contemplated buying one but didn't know how well they lasted.
1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac (239,000 miles)
alltrac801
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby EvilStig » Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 pm

FC Zach wrote:That's exactly what that is, for auto climate control. . Which you do have according to pictures on the previous page. Is this a '92 or '93?

Makes sense... '92

My SRS light is on since I re-did everything so I've been looking for unplugged sensors etc, haven't found any others yet.

FC Zach wrote:That looks like a block to bell housing brace.

Your picture shows accurately where and how it connects to the block, but the bell housing is nowhere near close enough to there. It's directly behind the cat and downpipe (and the construction is the same as the cat support brackets) hence I thought it was some kind of support for the exhaust flange, but I can find nothing nearby that would actually attach to it.

FC Zach wrote:Not sure about that particular brand but I have a clear cover from a different company and it has discolored and cracked, I need to replace it but I still want a see through cover for inspection so I'd like to know as well.

primedriven is the distributor I guess the cover is zakleecorp.com or something, link here. It's expensive but the only gen2 cover I could seem to find (ostensibly gen 3-5 are different)
EvilStig
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Thu May 30, 2019 3:12 am

EvilStig wrote:Your picture shows accurately where and how it connects to the block, but the bell housing is nowhere near close enough to there. It's directly behind the cat and downpipe (and the construction is the same as the cat support brackets) hence I thought it was some kind of support for the exhaust flange, but I can find nothing nearby that would actually attach to it.

If I remember, I'll get (try to at least) an image of where the end attaches.

EvilStig wrote:primedriven is the distributor I guess the cover is zakleecorp.com or something, link here. It's expensive but the only gen2 cover I could seem to find (ostensibly gen 3-5 are different)

alltrac801 wrote:What Brand is your clear cam gear cover? I've also contemplated buying one but didn't know how well they lasted.

Yep that's what I have. .

and in short time has gone to shit even though, per the instructions, I applied light pressure to the hardware (notice the button-head screws, I used these specifically so I wouldn't over tighten) to prevent damage to the housing.

Now, with that said, I thought I had read somewhere that there was or may have been a revision to this part.
1993 Yamaha GTS1000
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
FC Zach
Established Member

1992 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to My Project