91 and 92 Restoration

80's Kid

I rescued these in 2018 from two local collectors. The cars....need some serious work, and I've finally started working out the basics, such as getting the cars into a state where they can be moved. The 92 has a gas leak that's like niagara falls, as soon as I turn the ignition, the smell comes out and gas pours freely below. I'm hoping it's a fuel pump problem, as I can replace that more easily than a leaky fuel tank. It also has a problem with the head gasket.

Both cars have rusted out intercooler piping, I've replaced it on the 91, and will soon do the same on the 92. The 92 won't be sitting in that field for long, don't worry about that. First I had to move the cars, which was an adventure of its own, both were moved last minute as a scramble.

This 92 had a really ugly front bumper, held together with a compound on the sides, and very long screws from home depot. It was a hack job to say the least. The intercooler will be eventually changed to a water-to-air one. Just as an FYI, I know next to nothing about fixing cars, so I'm starting slowly with these 2 and making progress as I go. It's pretty fun actually. I am very attached to both my cars, and want to do this right.

Both have rust on the rear wheel wells, I thought about giving up and just finding one model that doesn't have any rust, but I am determined to restore these and make them better than they were before. I found a local place that will do the rust work.

Attachments

• raptor on the move 4.jpg
    raptor on the move 4.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 1,371
  • celica field.jpg
    celica field.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 1,371
  • celica field 1.jpg
    celica field 1.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 1,371

80's Kid

This is the 91, I plan to drive it for now while doing work here and there, and focusing more on the 92. It came with 195 sized winter tires, which will be replaced. I haven't decided yet what to replace them with, any suggestions would be helpful. I am thinking of going for Proxy R1R's, as the car will never be winter driven.

So far I replaced the brakes with basic ones to pass a safety test, as well as the intercooler piping. I went with hotrodfuelhose.com with an AN6 type of hose so I can bend it more. The emergency brake had to be replaced, fortunately parts for that are easily available from Toyota as they were not made only for this car.

It has an issue with the second gear grinding when shifting, unless I wait 2-3 seconds to engage the gear. My solution is to either have it rebuilt, or find an aftermarket one.

Attachments

• celica on the move 1.jpg
    celica on the move 1.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 91 celica.jpg
    91 celica.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 91 celica 1.jpg
    91 celica 1.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 1,371

80's Kid

As you can see, the transmission cooler lines were rusted into a state where they could not be restored. They were so rusted that I couldn't even separate them into individual components. The car has of course since been rustproofed.

Attachments

• 91 celica (2).jpg
    91 celica (2).jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 1,370
  • rust1.jpg
    rust1.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • spacers.jpg
    spacers.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 1,370

80's Kid

The interior on the 91 is in better shape than the 92, but I plan on replacing both with something custom made. The engine underpanel could use some freshening up, as the leaky transmission fluid smells rancid. I would like to find a place to make a new, custom cover in case this one gets damaged.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • underpanel.jpg
    underpanel.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 1,370

underscore

Looks like you've got some solid projects on your hands. That front bumper is something else, at least it makes it easy to get to the tow hooks.

80's Kid

Yeah, I'll be busy for a while :D. I'll post updates as anything significant occurs. My dream is to rebuild the interior into something that nobody has ever seen before. We will see how it goes.