ST165 project

g121

Hi,

I bought an ST165 a few months ago. I've done some work on the car since then:

n1wle0.jpg

2j3jiuf.jpg

The car wasn't starting so reading an old subject here in the forum I saw that maybe the dirty ignition switch could be the problem so I disasembled it.
Here are the pics if someone has the same issue, when dissassebling be carefull with the little balls that are located in both sides of the internal mechanism, they "lock" the switch in the different positions,

erdjxf.jpg

15p3h46.jpg

dzji39.jpg

Finally I received it :D

dcarde.jpg

The first issues I found, hope someone could help me:

This "bypass" on the co-driver's side hasn't any tubes connected, anyone knows wich tubes should be connected here:

e5pkht.jpg

And the second issue I saw when the car started is that the dashboard gauges, turbo, rpm... are not working, do you know where's the fuse or someone had the same issue?

Regards,

It might be best for you to get an ST165 service manual.

What year is your ST165? Is in a USDM All-Trac? Federal or California emissions? Need to say what you have for someone to help.

I think (but am not certain) that what you call a by-pass (not sure why you call it that) is actually your cruise control pump assembly (P/N 88251-20041), shown as reference no 88250A in the view.

Attachments

• MEJ559A.jpg
    MEJ559A.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,041
Regarding your instrument cluster, there is a 15A gauge fuse under the driver side dash (exact location I'm not sure) that should look like this (attachment) - it shows the 15A gauge fuse towards the upper left.

-

Attachments

• ST185 Inside Fuse Block.jpg
    ST185 Inside Fuse Block.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,955

g121

JRWperformance":2mtw3lk7 said:
yep... Vacuum pump for the cruise control.

The light pod is interesting...any more info on that?

Bought it from:

295e9fl.jpg

Lots of wait, but it's the only place where I found it,

g121

About the fuse I removed it and checked it with the multimeter and sometimes the current didn't pass through it, once I have the turbo and the exhaust installed I'll put a new one.

With the car started I noticed a little noise on the exhaust/turbo side.
I did a compresion test and fortunately compressions are good and identical in the 4 cylinders, so engine seems to be good.
Next, we removed the alternator, exhaust, turbo and the turbo axis is loose. Not so much but I prefer to prevent, so I'll have to look for a new turbo or try to repair this one... we'll see.

2yyxrvd.jpg

2mhd65l.jpg

e02vk0.jpg

2s9zrzb.jpg

I asked Toyota for the material I need, hoses, coolant pipes... As they said at least here in Europe some material it's still available so I'm waiting for the quotation, any suggests of webpages where to buy material for this cars?

This is how the engine looks like today:

10z5qom.jpg

88gt4DE

Rick89GTS":2q85pbi2 said:
Was the dirty ignition switch the problem?
A lotta times it's the starter relay...

I second this , this is a must do mod right off the bat .... :smokes:

88gt4DE

Where are you located ? Some parts avail still some not. Takes alot of searching based on what your after these days. Some of the aftermarket stuff is better so looking at what others have done and documented here helps as well. Good luck with her ! :smokes: