abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Talk about your project car here

Re: abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Postby abeans » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 am

Well my power steering is back together and the plug i shut welded leaks. LOL. So going to... Come up with a new solution, i despise that stock vacuum assist sensor.

While i was down there i noticed the knock sensor. Looks to be a ATS Racing/GM sensor. I'm betting this not being connected is causing some of my on power issues. (perhaps someone can confirm)

Doesn't look like it was ever connected on the hacked apart harness originally in the car (can't say im surprised) so i never messed with it.

Got a new pigtail and i'll splice in, if i can find where that stock knock sensor wiring lives.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby underscore » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:59 am

It runs with no knock sensor? When mine was broken (along with the wire) the car ran so poorly it could barely get out of its own way.

I wouldn't bother trying to find or connect to the original wiring, it's pretty easy to damage so you're much better off just running a brand new shielded wire to the ECU.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby autojumbled » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:54 am

good write up on the pump install. Shame it STILL leaks! :P
Not sure its possible for a gen5 to exist without a leak of some kind though right?
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:13 pm

underscore wrote:It runs with no knock sensor? When mine was broken (along with the wire) the car ran so poorly it could barely get out of its own way.

I wouldn't bother trying to find or connect to the original wiring, it's pretty easy to damage so you're much better off just running a brand new shielded wire to the ECU.

It does indeed. I can't get into boost currently, but it putts around OK. I'm guessing ecu is in full safe mode when load gets put on.

That's good to know about the wiring. Once I get the car running good I'll likely refurb the whole harness.. It's a mess.

autojumbled wrote:good write up on the pump install. Shame it STILL leaks! :P
Not sure its possible for a gen5 to exist without a leak of some kind though right?

I'll get it. My buddy is going to make a plug for it. He might make some more as it seems to be a plauge on powersteering.

Ah come on, don't tell me that. I've owned Ford's and I can get them not to leak. Toyotas are supposed to be reliable. :D
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:28 pm

Power steering vaccum sensor delete - Round two.

My buddy is going to make more of these incase anyone is interested. (Once confirmed working)
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Power steering plug is a success! No stalling issues with the 245 tires and no vaccum switch. Most importantly, no leaks.

Took the car for another drive, first time with power steering and a knock sensor. Runs much much better.

Still has some serious hesitation under load. - Need to set distributor timing, hoping that fixes it...

If it doesn't, i'm wondering if it am too far away from the factory ECU tune at that point? Intake had the secondary valves taken out VRIS or whatever Toyota calls them, and missing egr and other emissions stuff. Catless downpipe and full 3" exhaust might contribute as well.
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:17 am

Car runs and drives great now after re-timing, and tightening a couple intercooler clamps. What a great feeling!

Things i noticed (So i don't forget)
-My gauge cluster is doing this: https://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48848
-Seems like the speedo cable isn't working either, I'll have another go while that's apart. (Starting to notice a pattern -with these gauge clusters)
-Power steering belt started squealing. :pissed:
-Car is too low and rubs on turns in passenger right. Must raise coilovers.
-One of the rear caliper bolts fell out on the drive. LOL. Might have to double check myself.
-Plastic burning smell, might be left over piece of harness that made it on the downpipe still burning off, i hope. (Fire extinguisher bracket incoming)
-The headlamps are terrible. Convert to halogens? very yes.
-Car smells super rich still. Might be the walbro 255? Will check wideband later.

Other than that, need to tidy up the rest of the interior. Got a couple gauge mountings i need to do, to make sure i don't blow it up. I picked up a lotek A-piller pod, as i have that on my SVT and love it. BUT on the Celica, it fits poorly. Bottom pod touches the dash. I see cutting in my future.

here is my slightly sarcastic, plan. Got quite the mix bag of gauges left over from the two cars combined.
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby underscore » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:39 am

Check out the combo gauges from Innovate, they could save you some dash space. I've got the oil press/temp combo and the boost pressure/boost controller/wideband combo and really like them.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby abeans » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am

Yes I have 3 of them on my SVT.Easily my favorite.

I picked up the water/volt combo for the car when I was troubleshooting the cooling issues.
Https://i.imgur.com/RN6Cosr.jpg

Still, it's tough to justify. I usually believe in buy once, cry once but since I have a big pile of gauges that came with the 2 cars...
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby underscore » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Ah yeah if you've already got some you may as well use them. Not soending any more money is hard to beat.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby alltrac801 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:13 pm

As far as headlights go I would suggest these or something similar!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GK ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2 ... UTF8&psc=1

I have this in my St185 and love them! A little bright but I like it bright!
1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac White (239,000 miles)
1991 Toyota Celica All-Trac Black (163,000 miles)
alltrac801
Club Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby abeans » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:10 pm

abeans wrote:-Power steering belt started squealing. :pissed:
-One of the rear caliper bolts fell out on the drive. LOL. Might have to double check myself.

These 2 ended up being related. I was wrong about the caliper bolt it was the lower power steering lower bolt. Put the bolt back in.... Tighter... :bangshead:

abeans wrote:-Plastic burning smell, might be left over piece of harness that made it on the downpipe still burning off, i hope. (Fire extinguisher bracket incoming)

This went away. Im guessing my hunch was correct. Fire extinguisher still getting installed with a mount.

alltrac801 wrote:As far as headlights go I would suggest these or something similar!

Thanks for the recommendation, i really need new housings. One is cracked. Not a fan of fluted lens's, and overall lightput is laughable. After doing a bunch of reading, and based on looks/value i think these are the choice: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E ... 0DER&psc=1

I let one of my buddys drive around last night a bit see what he thinks (got the blitz blow off valve hooked up too, wow is it loud) You can hear his post drive late night commentary. It does run pretty good over all considering where its come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyFOBacPms
1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:43 pm

Probably the first car wash in 10 years.

1990 St185 Celica
abeans
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project