abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Roreri

You're doing a man's job there. Dealing with a chopped up electrical harness would about drive me nuts, I fear. Congrats on getting the bumper on. Looks nice. Will look nicer painted. The big old FMIC makes a statement!

Earlier this summer, you were mentioning very high engine compartment temps. Like, how hot? I feel like mine is hot, and I definitely can see the heat waves off the air coming up out of the CS hood vent. It'd be good to have something to compare it to. I've taken to sticking a meat thermometer bwteeen a couple of intercooler vanes when I get to my destination. Tends to be 183F when I get to work (downhill), and 210F when I get home.

I watched your video. Love the whine of the turbo when it says hello. About power, I got about the same situation. If I want power, I keep it rapped up toward 3000rpm. It doesn't pull as well below that. Just not enough power developed. I've left the SBC powered down for now and just running 93 Octane and 8psi stock boost. How's the turbo delay with the long travel time to and from the FMIC?

abeans

Roreri":1yxouycx said:
You're doing a man's job there. Dealing with a chopped up electrical harness would about drive me nuts, I fear. Congrats on getting the bumper on. Looks nice. Will look nicer painted. The big old FMIC makes a statement!

Earlier this summer, you were mentioning very high engine compartment temps. Like, how hot? I feel like mine is hot, and I definitely can see the heat waves off the air coming up out of the CS hood vent. It'd be good to have something to compare it to. I've taken to sticking a meat thermometer bwteeen a couple of intercooler vanes when I get to my destination. Tends to be 183F when I get to work (downhill), and 210F when I get home.

I watched your video. Love the whine of the turbo when it says hello. About power, I got about the same situation. If I want power, I keep it rapped up toward 3000rpm. It doesn't pull as well below that. Just not enough power developed. I've left the SBC powered down for now and just running 93 Octane and 8psi stock boost. How's the turbo delay with the long travel time to and from the FMIC?

It's a mess, just slow progress.

Underhood temps are still a problem and not sure why, it's so bad it makes the windshield wiper motor get hot and the wipers start barely working. I have not temp gunned it. It's deprioritized.

My power issues I posted about in the pcm/tuning section. I contribute it to my tvis being deleted, I doubt the plumbing contributes much to lag or boost threshold.

Roreri

Heat like that bespeaks some kind of cooling system problem. Oil pump? Water pump? Radiator? That would worry the hell out of me.

abeans

Temps are all good on engine. It's just underhood temps.

I do need to hook up the coolant overflow bottle still but some lunatic put intercooler pipes in the way.

Roreri

Ah, understood. That’s good news. Longer term problem.

Just a thought: Could it be those turbo pipes just cooking everything? Wrap? Enough wrap? Right kind of wrap?

abeans

TB6iMiIl.jpg

My buddy wired up the amp bypass for me. What a mess, he was testing here. He cleaned it up.

rN7A3Uql.jpg

Found why the bumper didn't fit right.

TzFCUr5l.jpg

KLeCKW6l.jpg

VoRx3tRl.jpg

Coilovers protectors, brake like protectors and clever p clip mounting.

p0opGcUl.jpg

Front Mudd flaps using oem mounting screw locations with Tacoma screws slightly longer.

aC1Siayl.jpg

Mudd flaps rear. Overkill mounting using m6 jclips

abeans

hoys":1b7t5rjc said:
My good friend runs CoiloverDepot! Small world :)
Ha! Nice! I quite like the covers. From what I read the ksports biggest complaint is corrosion so I hope they will protect them some.

abeans

Posted some unfortunate findings in the other thread. Was going to toss in the lower intake and the diagram is torn so i ebay'd a used one... Thats on the way.

New mirror didn't fix my problem, so i came up with my own solution.
2ccccfdf-35aa-44f8-9c7c-958dc0f71d37_text.gif

It's not as pretty, but it works functionally and was super cheap.
B00WZwRl.jpg

Last weekend had a chance to go to the junkyard. Had no idea this was a trim option, found on a base model coupe. Picked up a nicer rearview mirror as well, and other odds and ends...
OwOsmWql.jpg

iZ0JFdUl.jpg

F0AtRmNl.jpg

Interior is 95% there. Got the 3d Printed piece in my buddy made for me. Fits good. Got a radio with bluetooth and a microphone for hands free calling.
dFHgS2kl.jpg

Just need a few odds and ends at this point for interior. Coat hanger clips need installing. Some screws for the center console. Most rear trim piece for the trunk... and still playing with the dome light. Trying to find a better solution for it.

De-Modded the Engine mount. Out goes Brooks Racing for stocker. Much better. NVH was cut down by prob 30%... Likely going to do somthing similar to the trans mount, or at the very least drill holes in it to cut down

dV1TiTWl.jpg

6NkFewUl.jpg

With this engine mount out i can actually feel the engine in the car and not just have all the bolts rattling out from vibrations. Seems like it has a bit of a mild surging idle... Probably combination of tuning and missing sensors and lower intake butterflys and whatever else...

There is a rallycross in December i'd like to take the car out for. Suppose thats my short term goal.

Tippo

Wow, I think those trim covers are more rare than the tweeter covers lol! Nice pick there, almost all of my cars are missing them.

abeans

That's cool! I've never seen them in a car before which doesn't mean much (celica noob here) but I really don't need anymore speakers.

I think I might have some of the tweeter ones in my stash somewhere...can't remember if they broke coming off or not.

Coupe yard did have some OKAY condition seats which is another interior thing I forgot. But they are super base model with no bulsters

Roreri

I’m trying to remember if my 91ST had the plain trim corners—I think that even mine had the 6-speaker setup.

Very nice results on the engine mounts! I haven’t given much thought to that, but come to think of it there is some vibration and with this thing being 30 years old next March I would be shocked if they were still good.

How did you find replacing them? Pretty easy or pain in the ass?

abeans

Well, I actually went backward with the engine mount. Old to new back to old. The BRD mounts are far too harsh. Brooks told me to drill some holes in them, and I'll probably do that for the trans side to soften it up some.

I don't find the mounts hard at all maybe 30 minutes to pull.

Tippo

abeans":3w1jeplp said:
Well, I actually went backward with the engine mount. Old to new back to old. The BRD mounts are far too harsh. Brooks told me to drill some holes in them, and I'll probably do that for the trans side to soften it up some.

I don't find the mounts hard at all maybe 30 minutes to pull.

That's the old school method on those solid poly rubber mounts. If they were too stiff, we'd drill parts of it out to allow a little more "give."

abeans

Swapped lower intake manifold today! Didn't get a chance to drive around to test it fully, but it works! Looking forward to testing it for a rip tomorrow.

I was dreading this job but it was pretty easy.

qTGm55nl.jpg

More ghetto rig shit. SMH. :nono: Just shove a bolt in there and glob a bunch of shit on it to seal.

wMsb4XMl.jpg

qZbxAMpl.jpg

Testing actuator functionality with cell. My matesmug.

Kinda wish i would have had more time to power coat or paint the manifold, but whatever, going hella functional here folks.

abeans

Happy New year! I bought a house, big garage worthy of mentioning. 1100Sq feet. Haven't had time to play with the Celica much, but did move it to it new house on a snowy day. (dont worry too much the car was undercoated with fluid film)

Its throttle response and drivability is still very.... very poor, i need some more time to troubleshoot, but alas, house sucking all time.

zlKpxeOl.jpg

gcAf6Sal.jpg

Let my buddy drive it home, whos driveway its been sitting at for the past two years, yes i did all this in his driveway, and initially garage for a couple months.

He complained about drivability and response as well but you can see he didn't hate it.

https://i.imgur.com/rAhMAZn.mp4

KYXLRkXl.jpg

Hopefully can spend more time on her soon.