abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

abeans

I appreciate the tips about pulling the trans, i'll give it another go.

Let me know if anyone can ID that turbo "kit" unless its a mix and match of a bunch of stuff. I'm very likely going to ditch it in favor of the stock manifold.

Hate 80's turbo tech, but i much prefer stock plumbing, later down the road if budget allows i might send it out to get a CT27 from ATS, which seems like it would give me some of what i want.

abeans

Spent the entire day working on the car yesterday. Found some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first. Might need help finding parts for this... one of the previous owners...bangshead:

https://youtu.be/-vasutWg_W0

So if you know someone who might have all the parts im missing please let me know.

r-town

abeans":1frito1p said:
Spent the entire day working on the car yesterday. Found some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first. Might need help finding parts for this... one of the previous owners...bangshead:

So if you know someone who might have all the parts im missing please let me know.

You can re-use the whole unit from the GT and GT-S models. I have removed two units from the wreckers in the past. You have to be careful with the bolts, some of them just break too easily.

abeans":10v65x3b said:

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what all the parts are that you are missing. Maybe because I didn't have the audio on? At any rate, I see you are missing the headliner/insulation - is that what you are looking for? Or are there other parts involving the sun roof that you need?

abeans

93celicaconv":2jtapj90 said:
abeans":2jtapj90 said:

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what all the parts are that you are missing. Maybe because I didn't have the audio on? At any rate, I see you are missing the headliner/insulation - is that what you are looking for? Or are there other parts involving the sun roof that you need?

There is a bunch missing. I have the headliner and surround. Im not entirely all sure whats missing but it seems like the mechanical track parts and surround. Wood is holding it up....

There might be a GT in a salvage yard near me that may have what you need. I just wouldn't know what they would want for all the parts and what you need. Maybe when the winter subsides a bit, I can look if any are out there and if there is one or two, you can come down and grab what you want from it?

abeans

93celicaconv":26cjf6vw said:
There might be a GT in a salvage yard near me that may have what you need. I just wouldn't know what they would want for all the parts and what you need. Maybe when the winter subsides a bit, I can look if any are out there and if there is one or two, you can come down and grab what you want from it?
That would be very very helpful. Michigan junkyards are extremely domestic heavy. Maybe a 15:1 ratio to imports.

abeans

Still picking away. Below more video and tearing apart.

Good news, motor makes good compression. Clutch pedal issue was a seized clutch slave. New unit works good. :D So i don't have to pull the engine and trans, makes me very very happy.

Cleaned up the carpet some with all the mouse shit on it. Could use another scrub but way better.

WXBYKODl.jpg

kAknHV4l.jpg

This was the worst of the rust on the car. Gave it a 3 stage POR-15 treatment. Also did the other spots that rusted out on the other car (Good reference)

rscpSlHl.jpg

7nAlPOzl.jpg

DXE9VLal.jpg

xGtksdal.jpg

Here is some more of the garbage one of the previous owners did.

This is the pyrometer, i'm sure that gave a accurate reading.
8nsUbjSl.jpg

Coolant distribution block absolutely disgusting and extremely ghetto setup.
mXR0P8cl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGtZxp7chBg

This is the vacuum line configuration. I'm like 90% sure this car never made more than 1 or 2PSI... And found a dyno sheet in the car that supports that theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNAxaRmpTlE

Timing belt is too loose for my liking and there is some corrosion on the waterpump.. So got a new kit coming SKF from rock seems very affordable, any feedback on that kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAPREH3KZ7E

The turbo "kit" is off. I ended up pulling the trigger on a ATS CT27, just for peace of mind, so i won't have to pull this mess apart again for awhile.

h38gHBOl.jpg

Engine harness is off.
SOl1c1Ul.jpg

Whats next on the horizon?

pulling the vacuum like off the fuel pressure regulator had a bunch of gas in it. So i'll grab that from the other engine... I also found flow numbers for injector cleaning that was done. Shows about 530~CC and these injectors are a purple color on the car. I don't think thats factory from what i have been reading, so i might grab the parts car's injectors too.

Looks like the rear pinion (i guess thats what you guys would call it?) is leaking. So that's a rear diff out job (ignore the grass clippings, i'll clean it once it's out/running)

KHcYX0Ql.jpg

I'm not sure what this line is, but guessing it's fuel. So i'll have to look at that once i get back there, as it looks moist.

S12menRl.jpg

You have an awful lot of stuff going on there all at one time. For the miles, its hard to believe how gunked up the cooling system components are. Can't imagine what heater core and radiator must look like. And the cooling jackets within the block and head. I'm sure you'll sort it out. Nice to have a ton of parts from a donor to work with too.

abeans

Yeah, i think its a bit more project than i thought at first. Without the parts car it would not be possible to undo some of these "mods".

Did some more work today. Glad i got that timing kit on order, it was WAYYYY worse than it looked at first. :doh:

QsCBIkIl.jpg

9BMmzdIl.jpg

QnmJt6Dl.jpg

Here is the injectors that came with the parts car vs current car. I suspect they (the light purple) are from a Supra TT, but not positive. Either case the plan is stock ECU for now.

Really odd injector design, i don't understand the top plates purpose??? I thought it was just to hold the injector down, but has an O-RING with what looks like a shrader valve

xBF4HAdl.jpg

I pulled off the flex back exhaust which is absolutely hilarious, here is my buddy holding it.

KrOjxE2l.jpg

We then began removing the rest of the hacked and destroyed wiring harness, and replacing with the parts cars harness.

QyBgypQl.jpg

Who cuts stuff like this??????
bqDYHYkl.jpg

Out.

VklQxnKl.jpg

In with the new (old) non hacked and back together.... (Minus HVAC and dash which i am DREADING :cry: )

5QgWiB2l.jpg

Pulled the valve cover for grins. She's got ARP head studs so, that's neat.

6QozAg3l.jpg

Could someone let me know what this plate is please? Both engines have some form of this plate on the cylinder head.

bD0H91ul.jpg

Perhaps the fuel injection system exploded view below will help you with your questions.

I believe the plate you are referring to is the engine ID plate (serial no., etc.), but not certain.

Attachments

• ST185 Fuel Injection System.png
    ST185 Fuel Injection System.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,455

alltracman78

That's a homemade EGR block off plate.

It's covering the factory gasket, which has those 2 (IIRC there are normally 3?) tabs sticking up.

Not sure what Schrader valve you're talking about? I don't see one. And don't remember one on the fuel rail. You're not talking about the union bolt for the fuel supply line, are you?

Well sure enough, I never thought of looking at the EGR system when viewing that plate. But alltracman78 is spot on. You can see how the EGR attached originally to that area (bottom view, with the gasket).

Attachments

• ST185 EGR System Exploded Parts View.png
    ST185 EGR System Exploded Parts View.png
    59 KB · Views: 1,453

abeans

Hey thanks! Appreciate the diagram. It's (The EGR) is probably garbage emissions stuff anyway, so i don't won't miss it.

Just trying to get it closer to stock to keep the OE ecu happy.

So the side feed injectors have that top plate holding them all down it seems 23261 in the diagram. I guess i don't understand why the top side of the injector has a metal part open? Diagram doesn't really show it either... I'm too new school for the logic i guess. As long as they don't leak that's cool.

abeans":3ep0lnfr said:
So the side feed injectors have that top plate holding them all down it seems 23261 in the diagram. I guess i don't understand why the top side of the injector has a metal part open? Diagram doesn't really show it either... I'm too new school for the logic i guess. As long as they don't leak that's cool.
For me, you need to be a bit clearer with your questions. What do you mean by "I guess i don't understand why the top side of the injector has a metal part open?"? The top end of the injector has a vibration insulator above it, which the cover plate uses to hold the injector in place. There is no metal part open. As long as the injector is held down into the fuel rail, and the 2 o-rings (one above the fuel entry point, one below the fuel entry point) are in good shape, it can't leak.

abeans

93celicaconv":3nhim1ef said:
abeans":3nhim1ef said:
For me, you need to be a bit clearer with your questions. What do you mean by "I guess i don't understand why the top side of the injector has a metal part open?"? The top end of the injector has a vibration insulator above it, which the cover plate uses to hold the injector in place. There is no metal part open. As long as the injector is held down into the fuel rail, and the 2 o-rings (one above the fuel entry point, one below the fuel entry point) are in good shape, it can't leak.
That answers the question. Vibration isolator.

Magroo

abeans":1yrsb5dr said:
Ah! Thanks.. so i need to clock it. That makes sense.

It doesn't seem like i got 2-3" maybe 1" tops. Think thats still it? Holy smokes is that trans heavy.

Pretty sure I saw it listed at 185lbs with fluids.

On a side note. It's possible to remove the trans with the engine in the car? Ive always read from other peoples experience that its impossblr and engine and trans have to come out together.

underscore

It's physically possible, I know someone that did it. By all accounts it's very unpleasant and not likely to be any faster than just pulling the engine.

alltrac801

Damn that looks like a lot of work!

That exhaust is hilarious :lol:

On your last picture that looks like an EGR block off plate. (shit someone else beat me to it)