abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

abeans

That is helpful, thank you.

Im going to spend a bit more time on it to try to get it to work, the coolant sensor setup seems needlessly complicated, especially for an old car.

If i can't get it to work right i might just give it it's own standalone circuit and sensor. Get a SPAL relay with a sensor and hit a temp send 12v to the fan. Easy.

abeans

I gave up on the stock coolant switches. Needlessly complicated. Ended up pulling the trigger on a SPAL relay kit so it will be all standalone on some good fresh wiring and sensors.

Weekend project is dashboard. - Parts car i couldn't get it out in one piece. - Maroon car it was already broke (in the same spot no less) So i junkyard'ed this one (getting pretty good at this pulling apart Celica stuff now.)

It was a dark blue color, so wasn't going to run it As-is... so i decided to flock it. It turned out pretty good (still have some excess material on it) Looks decent with the grey trim pieces as well.

Messy job, would not do again. Might end up doing the A-pillers as well later though.

UqR3AEzl.jpg

5DcCgXul.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rUx3nSmPWc

abeans

Fuck this cars e-brake drum brakes! :pissed: #1 Bendix R529 does not fit. Must be for a rear drum brake car.

#2 I ordered 2 spring kits... and they do not include the parts needed to redo the e/drum brake setup.

So.. for now pressing on with no ebrake. :bangshead:

Installed a 5mm spacer on the rear as it seems like the +35 wheels with the 245s are a little close for my liking to the strut.. Not crazy about running spacers + hub centric rings (that barely will touch the hub now) Might revist my wheel selection in the future.
EXgy3sQl.jpg

Dropped the tank again (Best part of this car, so easy) to clean it up as well with POR-15 and the gas tank straps. Sand blasted them first, they were in pretty bad shape.
Kad6rCAl.jpg

zgCWNeRl.jpg

This was the last rear wheel bearing. This is the timken tried and true combo for a rear wheel bearing.

vm5E87Cl.jpg

Parts car came with a whiteline sway bar so i threw that on since the old endlinks were stuck to the old struts.

XRgMGCWl.jpg

Seems like the parts car came with standard non all-trac sized brakes on all 4 corners. Really strange...

Pretty close to moving under its own power, need to bleed brakes... Also should drop driveshaft and do the rear pinion seal as its got a bad case of the weaps for quite awhile before i owned it.

abeans

Well i tried playing with my radiator fan wiring got that working. Which is good news.

Bad news is the car is overheating, my basic troubleshooting shows that upper radiator hose is super hot lower is cold.

Seems like thermostat to me... Running a brand new OE took it all apart to make sure its not plugged. Fresh water, no change.

Guess i need to take it apart again.

abeans

I pulled the other thermostat from the parts cars engine, going to throw them both in some hot water this weekend if weather complies.

Here is a photo to keep someone happy, that might be reading (Assuming im not talking to myself here)

NvHun3il.jpg

underscore

Worst case you can always gut the thermostat for the time being, that way you know for sure it's not a problem.

abeans

underscore":3ktt78tj said:
Worst case you can always gut the thermostat for the time being, that way you know for sure it's not a problem.
Yeah that's a good idea, does it need the thermostat to seal properly? I can't imagine it could be anything else, but I'd be pretty dissapointed if my brand new water pump failed...

Part of me is not took suprised by this, poor engine cooling passages had so much gunk in it. I did my best to flush it while it was apart I know it flows across fine, rain some Preston's flush through it too... Hoping I just got a bad thermostat.

alltracman78

abeans":1q24gsb1 said:
Here is a photo to keep someone happy, that might be reading (Assuming im not talking to myself here)

NvHun3il.jpg

We're looking, just don't always have something to say. :)
It's looking good. Your wheels go good with that color.

I've learned the hard way the 5SFE water pumps are the same physical dimensions as the 3SGTE pumps, so they physically bolt in.
However, the impeller (at least on some aftermarket pumps) isn't large enough to move as much water as the OE 3SGTE pump.

abeans

alltracman78":31da1fby said:
abeans":31da1fby said:

Snip

We're looking, just don't always have something to say. :)
It's looking good. Your wheels go good with that color.

I've learned the hard way the 5SFE water pumps are the same physical dimensions as the 3SGTE pumps, so they physically bolt in.
However, the impeller (at least on some aftermarket pumps) isn't large enough to move as much water as the OE 3SGTE pump.
Oh boy I hope that's not it. I do remember the impeller did have a different design. I bought a Gates unit from Rockauto...

alltracman78

Was it a low hump with small fins sticking out?

*I don't have any pictures, this is from one of my previous Alltracs years and years ago. I tried looking online but a quick search couldn't find anything.
But looking online it looks like OE 5FSE pumps and some aftermarket pumps all have the larger fins. Gates is generally a pretty good parts source, so it may not be the pump. Just something to keep in mind.*

abeans

alltracman78":2pbs72f0 said:
Was it a low hump with small fins sticking out?

*I don't have any pictures, this is from one of my previous Alltracs years and years ago. I tried looking online but a quick search couldn't find anything.
But looking online it looks like OE 5FSE pumps and some aftermarket pumps all have the larger fins. Gates is generally a pretty good parts source, so it may not be the pump. Just something to keep in mind.*
Well it was a GMB brand I pulled out. It had flap style blade

The gates had more of turbine blade style

alltracman78

As long as it has decent fins I wouldn't worry about it.
The problem is when the fins are really low and don't move enough coolant.

abeans

alltracman78":erci8qe7 said:
As long as it has decent fins I wouldn't worry about it.
The problem is when the fins are really low and don't move enough coolant.

Did your pump look like this?

For reference. Gates i installed.

ToUN0fwl.png

GMB brand that was in the car.

Xn9tuUgl.png

Good news/ bad news. They both open.

eB4zISwl.jpg

SO..... Before i go tearing the timing all apart again i either need to know for sure this pump is garbage design. Or im going to install my aftermarket gauge to make sure its actually overheating (pretty sure it is)

alltracman78

It looked something like that. The impeller is cast iron just like mine was. The fins don't have a lot of area to push coolant with.
Compare that to the AISIN pump impeller (I would prefer parts from them over Gates).