abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Talk about your project car here

Re: abeans st185 - Kill 1 Save Another

Postby 93celicaconv » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:11 am

No valve in the PCV system - just ventilation hoses off the valve cover (see attachment).

See the 2nd attachment for where the check valve is on the brake booster vacuum piping (bottom view of attachment).
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Attachments
ST185 PCV.jpg
ST185 PCV
ST185 Brake Vacuum.jpg
ST185 Brake Vacuum
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby Magroo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Just want to make a correction on the resistance value to bypass the egr system. Its 12k-14k ohms

Another thing about the pcv is there is no valve, but on the underside of the valve cover has a catch can/ oil return system for the breather. I didnt know what it was till last week when I took it apart and painted the outside of the cover.
Magroo
Club Member

Postby simpkins » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Such a useful thread, thanks a lot for sharing! Looking forward to see the further steps. I found an st202 three years ago in a similar condition and tried to bring it back to life but the rust was killing it from the inside and it was to late to do anything with it. So I decided to save the useful parts at least and use them in another st202 that I have in Lake Garda. But then I decided to sell it with my property in Lake Garda and only now could buy a new Toyota. I must say that the process was very fun, I like to play around with Toyotas. Cheers!
simpkins

Postby abeans » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks for the details guys. - It is extremely useful providing details like that about the car.. Haven't posted as much as my regular scheduled update, been slammed with work since Corona virus stuff.

Things to note: It makes more sense how the Celica dipstick works after buying the mr2 dipstick part... So i took the old piece out and tada celica dipstick in...

Got a real exhaust on! Parts celica had a brand new 3" catback. Looks to be the ebay but its pretty nice and fits decent. ( Much nicer than my 12' flex back )

I THINK i got all the vacuum lines sorted and finished up the cold pipes on the intercooler, not sure if i noted it. But i tossed out the garbage that was on the car. My friend donated a Threadstone TR6 intercooler. It's a bit blue and ricey for my personal taste but those china hoses are 10x nicer than anything that was on the car before and it cleans everything up.

So, where i left off last time is fuel leak. Stuck fittings. Grinder near gas, not good. Don't do.

This is the joint from the hardline to the tank. One of the PO'ers clamped rubber hose to the nylon hose... Needless to say that was the cause of the leak.

So (pictured later) i used a 5/16 compression fitting to AN6 adapter with a barb to repair. Worked great.

Re-primed the fuel system, and..... The gask tank side leaked. :owned:

So fcuk it i said. Tanks coming out. Sick of chasing this guys tail on everything he touched.

Found the rustiest Bolts on the entire car good god! (any one know if these are serviceable with OEM parts)

They cooperated... Very easy tank to drop.

GEE I WONDER WHY IT LEAKED?!

Pulled the pump assembly to check everything out. OG Walbro 255 confirmed. Redid the hose and removed the rusted clamps and yellowed zipties.

Next plan it to adapt this fuel tank fitting to AN. It looks to be M14x1.5 i got that fitting on the way.... That way i can go AN to AN in that short run... ( and it makes running AN to the front of the car int he future much easier, if i do. )

If the fuel line doesn't leak anymore i should at least find out if the old turd will crank over and idle. So many spider webs and dry grass.
abeans
Club Member

Postby Trash_Panda » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 am

Just binge read this whole thread. Enjoyed following along as you worked through all the issues, keep the updates coming! I have been in your shoes before fixing many "repairs" from a previous owner. Excited to see you get this thing on the road!

In the pic of your buddy holding the flexible exhaust (didn't know those even existed) is that a 2.5 RS in the background? I had an a 98' 2 door Imprezza (non RS) wish I kept that thing, fun car.
Trash_Panda

Postby abeans » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:44 am

Trash_Panda wrote:Just binge read this whole thread. Enjoyed following along as you worked through all the issues, keep the updates coming! I have been in your shoes before fixing many "repairs" from a previous owner. Excited to see you get this thing on the road!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Means a alot.

Trash_Panda wrote:In the pic of your buddy holding the flexible exhaust (didn't know those even existed) is that a 2.5 RS in the background? I had an a 98' 2 door Imprezza (non RS) wish I kept that thing, fun car.

Yes, that's my buddy's car where the car is at currently. He loves those, has a couple now had a bunch. Been building that car for about 3 years, its full stage rally. Pulled it from a Junkyard as a Auto car. Built the cage himself, converted to manual has short gearing, quicker rack. Group N stuff on it... ect ect.

Wish the Toyota was as light as it... and the engine/trans was as easy to pull... Although the Subarus weak link is it's engine.

I like odd ball cars, so not for me.
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:43 am

Fuel leak is fixed. Going to have to dive back in and get different angle fittings... But it will work. Don't like rubbing on subframe currently. Plus I found some of the the last gas tank mounting hardware in the country.

Got all the power to the car, sorted out some bugs. Car cranks but got no spark. Bummer...I found a thread that suggests jumping the diag port... Also could be the distributor, has been sitting forever... Ignitor is getting voltage on both wires which is on. 12v and 10.5v

Got a new cap and rotor on the way from rockauto because so cheap.

All the cranking found only one oil leak. That garbage eBay turbo oil drain feed fitting. Going to need to scrap that for a new plan... Anyone have a better off the shelf solution?
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm

abeans wrote:All the cranking found only one oil leak. That garbage eBay turbo oil drain feed fitting. Going to need to scrap that for a new plan... Anyone have a better off the shelf solution?

Found one. 60$ OOF. Well at least piece of mind will be there.

http://www.a-r-z.com/CT26-10-Turbo-Oil- ... _p_73.html
abeans
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:39 am

abeans wrote: Got all the power to the car, sorted out some bugs. Car cranks but got no spark. Bummer...I found a thread that suggests jumping the diag port... Also could be the distributor, has been sitting forever... Ignitor is getting voltage on both wires which is on. 12v and 10.5v

Got a new cap and rotor on the way from rockauto because so cheap.

Now that i think about this more...I suspect the injectors are spitting either now that i think of it.

Does the ECU it self need to be grounded? I have it sitting on the carpet currently.
abeans
Club Member

Postby underscore » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 am

I've driven my car with it sitting on the carpet.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby abeans » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 am

Alright then. I know the rail is getting fuel... Ignition coil has voltage...

But no injector no spark.. hmmm. Normally i'd say its a Crank position sensor or cam. But this car doesn't have that.

My troubleshooting skills are too modern.
abeans
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am

I don't remember if you are using the original ECU, or if you are using an aftermarket ECU.

The original setup had the ECU grounding done through the ECU wiring harness to chassis ground - the ECU body to chassis was not the means for grounding.

The original ECU gets its engine position inputs from the distributor. Those inputs coming from the distributor to the ECU would be coming in on wires G1, G2 & NE in the wiring harness. At the ECU wiring harness connector "D", G1 is pin 15; G2 is pin 2, and NE is pin 1. Grounding wire -G is on the ECU wiring harness connector "E", -G is pin 16. This is based on a USDM ST185, 1990-1991.

The above is an original factory setup. Not sure what you have.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm on the original ecu. Both cars 1990 usdm. Using the harness from the parts car as it was less hacked. (Pretty oily)

Admitting stupidity, I accidentally grounded a positive 12v up front on the car. Hoping I didn't fry part of the ecu.

I've got a check engine light on accessory on. Cranks great. Pump sends fuel. No poped fuses. All the other electrical things seem to function.

Got the Toyota manual to troubleshoot, but, was hoping it was a easy fix.
abeans
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Why not try the 2nd ECU you have (from your now scrapped ST185) to see if that does the trick?
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby abeans » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I only have one oem ecu. Parts car came with one.. maroon car came with the aem.
abeans
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project