Project Lazarus: From Graveyard to Gen4 Swap ST185

Tippo

underscore":cogpag70 said:
And I thought the people who tried to steal mine were inept. Maybe they're cousins or something. Honestly I'd just grab a whole new door since that one is a bit mangled around the handle area anyways.

No kidding, thieves can get bent! Anyways, I actually have a whole new door but I need to get the door unlatched somehow in order to take it off the car. I have no idea how to get the door off since the entire mechanism is off kilter. I have a new latch from the parts car just in case this door can get opened. Any ideas or tricks to open the door would be great :(

Tippo

So after modifying a shower curtain rod and fighting with the son of a gun for a few hours, I got it! Here's the picture of the pulled door latch vs the old one. I had little faith in this but it finally budged.

This is me pointing to the pin that releases the door latch.

New latch and how it's supposed to look:
ACtC-3dBcjdFMOgdNCmbr600ZUrHDB8eugPKClkbvih5z7kfCPN9gk26E4MMZmSCmGD1Qa3Fg11bR7G7kMACYZ8kt0GsTzoxnfC58Y-PYR0r4zcTL0Inhn0thlfu3zeBmkcibS4OpUdxnUlESxJpZCawumd3og=w781-h1041-no

ACtC-3e_Ffce6L590hrpVtbWZ3FgV8qCMNoKj8_kVolAY_v8r0GRruxUinPIf6Bu3CmXbr-iji66cwLub_ZU_7qgN8J8wvMw_nONDWRhzAafofUPVO_ettpnQTWNVrffqFvNyB5Lqdm-L2t84GkWEEH8cOd8_Q=w586-h1041-no

And here's the old mangled one I took out of the car. anyways, victory!
Old latch (broken lock mech and misaligned out of the latch key)
ACtC-3doRUPyveQP_rkjmdKEsy_4FKMzoYvb2XI_Xyh7W_8TZDnmwwGFwm8Omt2jfd61WY64XXPqOnB--6AAHX88WoCNqHebCdEuJUBV0DFQUEDysgbd2FPnF9rjlwW3Ev1XkhI7juWtOkvyxyKVWM6sou9kwA=w781-h1041-no

Tippo

Now that I was able to open the passenger door, time for HVAC love and the most disgusting possible thing in the world: the HVAC fan. Prepare yourselves, this filled up a 12 gallon ridged shop vac.

Step 1 not bad:
ACtC-3cjjla6Qod4TFJqx_1XoK5U1fIokWNC65vPKETkc72ojF9cEAWfpZ-RVx7eKXsSZvXAWzlFOadNDxpojwiFPo-CpnDXeWQm1BbxKbadGaZ_gMECGKEkeVDsbmfvkm04pwPQuXqNCLfm9fnUV03eiqSq1Q=w734-h978-no

Step 2 uh oh:
ACtC-3d7wFKdYJ5q1HExDCvaq8t9Nu9-zmHRz99iYmm6J347-JpMKOIN1gl3XaX5egvoe8xr6-Fac_-3BdV-Scg4wFDa-phSIKsex7UQ7VlygSyzDJkYJzgNGSysi-3N68Bn62SlZJVhKFu3UlBCmPJHjV8fDA=w551-h978-no

Step 3 it gets worse:
ACtC-3dP21C8zuYpPTla5opOy4z-apti9rx7q5ATxU_ju9jtNsE_yWegJGr--RPhMDgbCmWU12QgowTNxyQDS4reEebRBYS-Ve_m4HHwQnkd4KnOU9m7jvsvzu2UFmC081mJ6yAw8zeOkSXOpCcZIH6ZPj2aGg=w734-h978-no

Step 4 taj mahal for mice. Yes, it was through the entire HVAC system:
ACtC-3cf5gQAnl2qd-4wfdkqlEwP-ijM01BpnSgOMe718Xe9CkoknVwE4ueYreTliDIEYNp2Fs2LxyaqlIERsAIkJ_i5ddowix4H0oT06xw2ruNVhYurNRueAaQjTljtF5TnmTdOfUvQz7n7UgdvNYL3LwHw6Q=w1304-h978-no

I need to shower now.

Tippo

Not many updates with the car as life is busy again, but brought Lazzie on the longest trip ever on a very fun car meet. Here's one picture that I got:

ACtC-3dIjBlND5eu7hkK7QhnxuewyexAGRSv7bOQeEDVuyT2jssypn1xgWDX_UAOzUKQVwZNFxJ8TOoJXp7-zjZ_IJXgHoM7ikDc0a-cAfD5zQmPxebYTgoaxJ-uApnkjUZoKFdIex7eYHMMdE1tAXDOvYwcag=w551-h978-no

Might as well enjoy it while she's running decent!

Tippo

Well after the trip the success was short lived. Might be replacing the rear diff and using it as a spare...

ACtC-3ct7hP8VnektLTCVTAFKeebohFxom3zBzfAC6Ld21T61LgXoaQ3YXO-rALfeP-JDrS3C5TR_e3uD93rxKQF8kMqDrKIeua6mhsmYdL5cwdl864HtEtMgFCfXsGoOtpCzYeWZ9uM66LjmFxvHpLITZXCcg=w1304-h978-no

Tippo

Went away for a few weeks, came back took the car for a short drive and the alternator blew out haha. Research says that the alternator is not backwards compatible with a ST182 2.2l. Is this correct? I have a spare kicking around, was wondering if it was before I spent the time installing it or spent the money purchasing a new 3sgte alternator.

underscore

When I tried to toss an alt from a 1993 Celica 5SFE onto my GTFour it was different, but you might be able to make it work by swapping the plug on the harness. Just make sure it has a high enough amperage rating.

Tippo

underscore":1eh9hpos said:
When I tried to toss an alt from a 1993 Celica 5SFE onto my GTFour it was different, but you might be able to make it work by swapping the plug on the harness. Just make sure it has a high enough amperage rating.

Well it appears the 5f alternator is a direct drop in, which is surprising. However, it's still not charging the system, which is ultra frustrating. No need to do anything as the plugs were all universal. I believe this whole time I've been running directly off battery! I'm not getting ANY amps from the alternator or even the connection to the battery. Something is whacky with wiring, my guess is a bad ground. Anyways, this is what I'm looking at (pictures):

AM-JKLWEFTM_cgrbysQW6e5BLkc0Sw0SG1Utf2UW0XtCu71OXWPQzXjNkswNePliQu16uKOSZAg5E2xXd1Znj1LJmR8vd6EKET5uRYyfSnd1TF26uFgXRza8okMUSqxEaEfzVKCV6Hs7nGCsKtgL6EIOV22mlA=w734-h978-no

AM-JKLW2mP_0u-oFvOsZQMcrOhg635N6jRs7KeqTEjRjPkfwW_xFUldyPoC0_BC-BwIug3PYdBZSLPcXX-y6UeAznXoQ6HaNz_NKpSnPUjkDtUM8xV4B-7kmgofM9oleTZKFEBXGxeK1doJyAcRpEvwG-FEDcQ=w734-h978-no

AM-JKLVtNZOjAPOt-ENQH_zhvDx2P5jLITSu0i5YnOQRYfCKaTz6xEdaZOTaJI_RMSezxCPcxWhgoDbyrPGQly-2u19pK57eZgXoDyJHCiAFWlCZLniUdtb065SUNbh-q7IPiJrsg2sjmzKaS-J7-0ILVsS8AA=w1304-h978-no

AM-JKLX2oDp2fDBnEfYFCeAaktEGcmjUE2xhflBlkMgKWVHo7eimlrFZ2eN-L58bSVXbotyNNIGVlVWTPbzhLWMCKh2Omp3AtEFGQqenvvJCsw7VncQQpBcho5K2LwGmE7zlqljAD-K4r44gstrUPcKvppkJHg=w734-h978-no

AM-JKLX6ekedZWp7kdoiSGwSij9RCqyyXJD-tOnbagmc2NA1xi4VnKJBX6ozD7FyBPlkAPonStiTAsHY4CsSmzDren5w_-I3BniHj44DzLUkJGi0thAaM-h6Rer7BbIotYc1rf9hGNl4z4GMvGZqBy6sVYRCKA=w945-h503-no

AM-JKLWbgpsFIqVzI2Jq5W1EtM_MSnsxJfkyPXiu7MHC8oQlED5AmJ4dUvpdjjRP7irXaf0nvUkV-1Op77PZx9CHyfvsihjCVx5ujTcjfHTM7JNsMZL1_LntGYcWqrptpVuDZzJ_jRMxrgp1ot67wJnGa5GJ2g=w734-h978-no

No dice :(
AM-JKLXJcR7Xcb9_87-5hdf7uktLlWqFTSQO8hSqOM964E5EIlG9nermkXZTUOVug18kA_DfnUqLWh9I2oAJk04FVq1-diD24gpy36HNP-XM9bYnG3Hy9G0mlEHJlhqbT87IJy0Cqi50cd69eFaSCAG1j99CDg=w734-h978-no

And the documents curtesy of Bruce (Tecker185)

AM-JKLUYDPlW_wq47AWULy31LlU6vBUmF40fgqcFWC673x3rZR6wzlXp66dQCWEOK5cGBk_s5pVlT3sEhIRVwitueLz81mWWBkkyTf_dToQq2oWVXrJjCNnD83_p50DkQSKWzZMDeODThyWrkWWtqrf1i6NFjg=w734-h978-no

AM-JKLUGRzNeZuGVi1AB_HJCg3R_X_BwE5VcHhlCfxP8Zgq3oE7dyd_vUE_6O_nwzUQ_uQrLRAR9EImbr6OdD1Xn2w9G_3KrPUOZSVjFE38i-AhSsxvgTG2NKGPgLuV8nqlEIniaZLpw4IjlLSuc5ms6bwYVtA=w734-h978-no

Still no dice, I believe bad wiring but who knows :shrug: i'll have time to look at it this afternoon

underscore

Interesting, mine was completely different at the plug and internally.

Check for continuity between the alternator output and the positive terminal. If there isn't any, or there's lots of resistance, check the master fuse between them (100A). It's bolted in from the bottom of the fuse box so don't try to just pull it out. I see that the ground wire is on the timing cover for some reason. It might work fine there, but I'd move it back since you're having problems.

Tippo

It's been a little while. I decided to get the charging issue sorted out. Bought a new cheapo alternator since I'll most likely be swapping the motor, didn't want anything fancy. Swapped the GT-S alternator out, put in the new one. I grounded the motor and wham - amps are working. Took the car to go shopping around town. 30 miles on it, all is well. Going to hold stock for a while, but I'm happy as long as she's running.

New alternator, slight crack in housing where stamp is, but a non-issue
AM-JKLWxj-kDdZpTLpvPEWcVlQziTrXkDtLy_EwQAqsuWpkUMkLED0fNqE5ylr1VXwdESC3zVRHDRBqH_XSIQ3HX9nmCbnRCGimpdgHLDSb0idfELv-BeAQnftNHWmb5_8Ovf7OLRQoxL6O0x80OFPbzb2UGXQ=w734-h978-no

AM-JKLWmDPEWUI75jupTr0Y2UBT8mnUKVymjvxoun10yo-6VKltpzOGPQCrf-dR240Tg3eOoQsNb9060_XE0g9STJF1rg1nSQQ6_JG5ydGDa18xvcImlbDfdVB0t_90YOn1G8P5H2lCvTtl59DFU-R2wEuVrTA=w551-h978-no

and car on:
AM-JKLXTKPR0PXKb8-RTzCHTYcqlQHma32GNl4fsm1gmedMwSBx6YF8xjIqeeyVHjN8gkgs0dYpa-3Y8-nRNyuWnHyvUGwD8QapRCWD5H7kd3jtqHBc9QC4jXXlvrYLag-wdGXwRXu4kRVlP2aMlLlqx5-rZiA=w511-h960-no

Next up is putting in the cloth interior and taking out the leather to get refurb. Anybody happen to have a nice set of stock carpeting? lol

alltracman78

Tippo":92gkl0cb said:
underscore":92gkl0cb said:

Well it appears the 5f alternator is a direct drop in, which is surprising. However, it's still not charging the system, which is ultra frustrating. No need to do anything as the plugs were all universal. I believe this whole time I've been running directly off battery! I'm not getting ANY amps from the alternator or even the connection to the battery. Something is whacky with wiring, my guess is a bad ground.

And the documents curtesy of Bruce (Tecker185)

AM-JKLUYDPlW_wq47AWULy31LlU6vBUmF40fgqcFWC673x3rZR6wzlXp66dQCWEOK5cGBk_s5pVlT3sEhIRVwitueLz81mWWBkkyTf_dToQq2oWVXrJjCNnD83_p50DkQSKWzZMDeODThyWrkWWtqrf1i6NFjg=w734-h978-no

Still no dice, I believe bad wiring but who knows :shrug: i'll have time to look at it this afternoon

5S and 3S have the same basic alternator. The studs on the end are different, for the 3S cooling elbow. It's possible there's a slight difference in amp rating, for the voltage regulator. I don't remember. There also might have originally be different bearings or other internals for higher RPM and heat in the 3SGTE one.
The reason the connector looks different in the manual is they consider that short extra harness the 3SGTE has to be part of the alternator. IIRC way back when if you bought a new 3SGTE one from Toyota it had the cooling elbow and extra harness as part of it. That little harness is actually different for the pre and post revision engines. But the alt itself is the same.

Nice job sorting that out. Fixing other peoples mistakes on an old car is such a huge PITA.

Yours is the same color as mine. Maybe next spring if mine gets over it's agoraphobia (it's been covered in the garage for years) and yours is running we can go for a cruise together or something. Don't hold me to that right now though.

Tippo

alltracman78":6aw8x1bc said:
5S and 3S have the same basic alternator. The studs on the end are different, for the 3S cooling elbow. It's possible there's a slight difference in amp rating, for the voltage regulator. I don't remember. There also might have originally be different bearings or other internals for higher RPM and heat in the 3SGTE one.
The reason the connector looks different in the manual is they consider that short extra harness the 3SGTE has to be part of the alternator. IIRC way back when if you bought a new 3SGTE one from Toyota it had the cooling elbow and extra harness as part of it. That little harness is actually different for the pre and post revision engines. But the alt itself is the same.

Nice job sorting that out. Fixing other peoples mistakes on an old car is such a huge PITA.

Yours is the same color as mine. Maybe next spring if mine gets over it's agoraphobia (it's been covered in the garage for years) and yours is running we can go for a cruise together or something. Don't hold me to that right now though.

You are correct! I kept the old alternator with the studs for the elbow (although I broke the tip of one), you can take out the normal screws and put the studs on for the cooler. Works like a charm! However, I believe the voltages are slightly different as you were mentioning, unless the 5f was toast, it wasn't charging the car. In addition to the cooler studs, there is a missing clip / harness holder as well. If you see the pictures, I had to transplant that. It helps big time from the harness getting into the fan or touching the downpipe.

I'm totally down for a cruise if you're in the northeast. Would be cool to get a few of us together, so few ST185 showed up at the Bear Mountain meet. In fact, there were more ST205 / half-tracs lol.

Roreri

Took me a little while to get around to reading this, but kudos. You're a brave man, but AllTracs tend to inspire.

"Would be cool to get a few of us together, so few ST185 showed up at the Bear Mountain meet. In fact, there were more ST205 / half-tracs lol."

That doesn't surprise me. There are three sixth gen Celicas that I encounter rather frequently--one of them actually resides within 200 yards of where I live--but I do not run across fifth gen Celicas of any kind. I've seen one, several months ago. Whereas a 1999 Celica is as old as the F-150 I own and can daily, adding another six to nine years to that incurs a lot of fatalities, it seems.

Given the condition you got him, it's quite the job you've done even getting Lazarus running. Lots of restoration and stabilization work that can be done before improvements, still, I bet. I had some ideas I wanted to try with mine, when I got it, but I had some expenses stabilizing it, so now I'm leaving it like it is for a while too.

Tippo

Roreri":moagjfi6 said:
Took me a little while to get around to reading this, but kudos. You're a brave man, but AllTracs tend to inspire.

"Would be cool to get a few of us together, so few ST185 showed up at the Bear Mountain meet. In fact, there were more ST205 / half-tracs lol."

That doesn't surprise me. There are three sixth gen Celicas that I encounter rather frequently--one of them actually resides within 200 yards of where I live--but I do not run across fifth gen Celicas of any kind. I've seen one, several months ago. Whereas a 1999 Celica is as old as the F-150 I own and can daily, adding another six to nine years to that incurs a lot of fatalities, it seems.

Given the condition you got him, it's quite the job you've done even getting Lazarus running. Lots of restoration and stabilization work that can be done before improvements, still, I bet. I had some ideas I wanted to try with mine, when I got it, but I had some expenses stabilizing it, so now I'm leaving it like it is for a while too.

Definitely takes some inspiration to get something rough going. I've seen a lot worse get turned around - since she's got a good base I consider myself lucky here, even with the amount of miles on it... speaking of miles, here's how many she has:

AM-JKLVgU6uQrp817bf9FyUpIzB3IELjXdGzAl1WDv_7GqP5xF4Q3AORbRzJ2eaPb523TLwm0j72WfWjKCBBhUISjXS1yECs9a9aKkbF6UwHYaMBu95qsd7ePgazmRJ8UFLF6cuOabGaaVps4lcH9XkJuB5XVw=w1250-h938-no

There's a loooong long road for this car, so it's just the beginning. Just hoping my health, my job and the economy stays afloat so I can keep Lazzy for the long run.

Tippo

CarlosOrKaren":1kuc5rds said:
Thanks man. I am kind of doing the same project as you are. I am saving an all trac from the dumpster.

Awesome! Looking forward to the build thread. Saving ST185 should be a revolution. Too few are left lol