Project Lazarus: From Graveyard to Gen4 Swap ST185

Tippo

Roreri":2jinkpql said:
Man that’s super cool!

Totally! I can't wait. The track is in an absolutely beautiful location. It's in the catskills and now is peak leaf turning season. Can't wait for some nice shots with my shitbox looking car on a beautiful backdrop again. Aside from this, I kinda hope this solves the fan issue but I installed 1x 6" high flow SPAL fan along side the 12" SPAL fan. 2x puller fans and 1x pusher AC fan wired in permanently to the other 2. I did a half-ass job since track day is over the weekend and we're leaving tomorrow morning. Coolant fan temp sensor decided to die, so going to pick that up and install tonight after work. After this, FMIC is going to get installed. As much as I love the usefulness of the TMIC with the functional stock hood scoop, with more performance comes more responsibility.
But here's the fan setup and the new hose for the vacuum on the break booster... boy I hope this keeps her cool, she gets REAL hot:

AL9nZEXD09MNMXFvbC3-GR86A4sprcEsfqizH1zgi3YtrhSzjEi1FBTDiAz8HFRj9Fvo6OPg2SygxS6XijkakGqSia8XrgNJ-yPYvI7PVVIVkjCg5bgQN0p46GxsDCMP2eGgI2SvhQ4lMfhMA6cJZXO1l1m2SA=w1204-h906-no

AL9nZEUGvPo489gVyBmSPjp4AuwChtEwLdvSL0nU3N8NzHCVbRBwmQh0xOLINKYjMiZOf7v1ZXNExMtdEI7u3bjy5e4w4k8QeWl5g-iu3m04S9Yj9PYRsBkVS-ge-jA3WaShGMt_DkyDC7NZB9wtZHJNE-q2Vw=w1204-h906-no

AL9nZEVSzlc0zXd-1aY3r_FvdfBFkaXQGtvs_PJdHy9qJ9IKe5mcCI4y1AUZK8mbIB4JkHE-lJM-6jVR7OVtB0nrOCbshrmAo__5AxifTQmauLVUB1UaMotGX4-96cc1FPX6ncNbZaZrLLhYCDm3syDXhB_opw=w682-h906-no

AL9nZEUiiihSuj_a44NugoTs4zkp0RqyIAEn2J1hAhg33sfFNoUn24DA-mx7f_qXGRAT7QbDefZqIT-ckQ0XWnoRIYJ905MLmixWqtTHI5kwJjSRxkjLQS9uTZxrGZoLKOsT2xUgXRXJLJOZRVgSSSbvjo4Kig=w1204-h906-no

Tippo

Track day is done. Clutch master blew out on the track on the 2nd run, but I ran 4 more runs in 3rd gear because why not. She got a bit hot, even with 3 fans on. I definitely have some figuring out to do here.

AL9nZEUT-UN0mM1s7XPqU0EB-R2tGTmbSXrLQw7xiRQ5Y-9lJIKYfHZTGDWBTuKWL-fxbnp_48mKmH2eakuteLyWjR9IEFdHP2zDarrIP1e84hXeiMPCB4vkfwBr1fJvRGAx0Fm0g0nBOZxP2Gff-2XPdio6ng=w510-h906-no

AL9nZEVN7h4-hBYCp5R8isZ19e094mk2DvMGcLeutQNJRS-YNW9j1fQ1cPMq5TATuswdtiFKziIJcT6tizCGGKQoQP5av3zpDJIo8zDWZWkm0FrETQn7QRiNp5F4RAY_BBfi1C3rQSwFPaMm2wdwuP-4s5oHvA=w1016-h765-no

AL9nZEVLIUrUGKn2jvFcGJ8AlLyLkXRITK-_wuZ60HW-Zg5BPJukslDDIPIx6agZP1W2cigtELDAEAeHhbqM3LNTKKkigv3Y3kuWRjQ_Ms13ytXmdF_t6XmXbmDUm7XlF5F2exOkpFsMqIIGcCBPAP-Oq3BiqQ=w510-h906-no

Tippo

And here are the track photos I purchased from the photographer for the day:

AL9nZEUYg4C_o0uO4WMLp124uX13B86unR0iFTduNr_LjmdRmBX6_3_d-lXVuxbCq_2WNn-MyTQ8EEUBs_cYkzvzsB8zf9o_GiKyzBJNvM6f7CCTdS24y_dXqk2e4ygxEkECbRJiId5sQvr08E1GOUCNmql1gA=w1890-h1260-no

AL9nZEWEfIYENdWQd6QBsmN6ZXg9KHdEjYrTidXQvIO0oBqtUrXf2rNlcm-4eVr8z9b60RhbKXegdhW96N1S2kLhUALSq89k7uheVPpNcxLljXV0m8pXTezRyUgK_2Lhc3ZS4a2W1iB9MWUPtjqmoDfxrWoyXA=w1890-h1260-no

AL9nZEVdMG3D-6FGv0lXywk9v0Tduu6yCJMoQeV1KFIEeByI8cBaNZ27UWNEUnrHOjorbGtObQMhJVWJmMpBkZoAr-4XQ-KL-YH7hN_2mLEi1UCuhDB-nRrtmYQXt0ohJ2vjO0KWK0tZ3i738LqZmdceEONOJw=w1890-h1260-no

It sucks, I was just hitting a really good stride before she gave out. Oh well, let's get 'em next time.

Tippo

Clutch master and slave replaced. Took a while to get the right one. After bleeding it, we're back in business. Took it for a Saturday cruise and all is working OK. Still overheating a little bit when pushing, but that will be addressed. Probably going to run a spray to the intercooler and heat wrap the turbo/exhaust components.

AL9nZEWVZFs9yv9XQGskG76yNQYxpvmrTw2jFUM6QzzhKKKZOi_u_ybWPMiAVEyDhUo5TDSx0_t1pYgVDdx0kVK34nXGeK9XscIyR7L6tXd7jWVBQMG336FpmgklV3pqNDfKt5vYWcIyIxVp-GTAke88wKKmFg=w332-h440-no

AL9nZEUFC85Qim6DSANbGociHWEXUGDGXH9teGhpvqwgdwinJxEpfmlaG1N3W7WeApte1NfiGcBeJZWaGkWMr8yH1Z2B3ZmHaYF5TBSf1SSmiZTadLtAL2okGBeECwFj3glkT_pZr78Hw24x27FfV50CRAFcpA=w585-h440-no

UtahSleeper

It will be cool to see how the ECU master goes. I have been looking at them for my 215 motor as well since it looks like the sell a harness a adapter. And glad to see any Alltrac get properly used.

grip-addict

Definitely keep the thread updated with the ECUMaster process please. I had to add some extra sensors to my Haltech in order to get it to effectively work (and it's been great ever since then), so I'm curious how your experience will compare.
btw, you should consider a combo temp/pressure sensor for the coolant if you have room for another AVI. It looks like the pressure component could be useful, based on scrolling through your track experiences :)

Tippo

ECU and all other items arrived. Going to set some time aside this weekend to install. Also going to need to order a few gauges. Really don't want to mess with the interior look at all but i'll make something happen here.

Screenshot_20230412-102752.png

Tippo

So I never got around to installing the ECU yet, but time managed to escape me and a track day is coming up on May 5. I leave for it on Sunday as I'm spending the week there. There's now a clunking in the rear of the car that I also have to sort out. Seems I'm always waiting until the last minute! Anyways, I should be installing this at some point in time for a test at the very least.

Tippo

ATS has a plug and play adapter for the harness but the rest of the wiring i'll be doing myself. I actually just wired up the T100 for trailer brakes so shouldn't be too bad haha! After that Fan fiasco this hopefully will be simpler.
Also that's a great series of write ups for wiring.

Tippo

Never had a chance to plug in the ECU but still ran the car at the track. Did OK until I blew the IC cap... guess I'll plug it with an actual BOV. Here's some pics from the day:
96177559-NYST050523-981.jpg96177560-NYST050523-1000.jpg96177561-NYST050523-1094.jpg96177562-NYST050523-1173.jpg96177558-NYST050523-922.jpg

Tippo

With the new spring heat, the gas is leaking from what I believe to be the breather hose or the breather hose isn't working properly. Anybody have a quick diagram of the gas tank? In search, looks like there used to be one, but it's far removed now with a broken link.

RedCelicaTRD

There is a small plate on the tank has a hard line the soft hose attaches to. The hose then attaches to a hard line that runs along the fuel lines to the engine bay. Comes up by the fuel filter, then a soft hose attachment into the charcoal canister. Is that what your after?

Tippo

There is a small plate on the tank has a hard line the soft hose attaches to. The hose then attaches to a hard line that runs along the fuel lines to the engine bay. Comes up by the fuel filter, then a soft hose attachment into the charcoal canister. Is that what your after?
Yeah I think so, so basically in page 2 of my build thread here you can see the tank out of the car. I'm going to attach a picture here, is this correct?

Gas Tankdiagram.jpg

RedCelicaTRD

Yes. That’s the vent to the canister. It does have a roll over valve under the flange that will shut if the car is upside down. Not sure if it can stick or how much movement it has.

Tippo

Yes. That’s the vent to the canister. It does have a roll over valve under the flange that will shut if the car is upside down. Not sure if it can stick or how much movement it has.
Good to know, I wonder if the valve is somehow stuck or if something loosened up... would hate to drop the tank again for something so remedial!

alltracman78

puddle on the ground under the tank. no holes, only when it's hot
Unless you left the hose unattached at the tank you have a leak somewhere. There are only 4 openings in the tank, and none end at the tank.
Fill tube.
Fuel supply and return lines.
EVAP (vent) line.

That vent is at the highest point of the tank, unless the tank is absolutely full there shouldn't be fluid at the vent, even when it's hot.
Even if you have fluid at the vent it should go out the hose to the canister or where ever you have the hose ending.

What is probably happening is the pressure build up from the heat is forcing fluid out a small leak somewhere in your tank. Or the heat is causing something to expand enough to allow fluid out.

Are you parked on a slope?

If you can figure out how low the fuel level has to be to not leak it will help figuring out where it's leaking from exactly. And/or parking on different slopes to see how that effects it (front/back or side to side).

You're probably leaking from the fill tube seal or maybe where the 2 halves of the tank seal if it was really rusty in there.