Project Lazarus: Pulled from the Ground; Save from the Grave

Talk about your project car here

Re: Project Lazarus: Pulled from the Ground; Save from the G

Postby Tippo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:58 pm

Very nice job!

A small update, picked up the transmission cooler but next time I'm definitely looping it... Here's the aftermath. I swapped out the MT90 for GL-5 75w-90. On an annoying note: I somehow crossthreaded the first two threads one of the 16x1.5 tube connectors :bangshead: but the elbow seems to be fine... If this doesn't work, going to cut it out, flare a new one on and call it a day. Either way, here's the progress:

Stripped, cleaned and painted the "new" one. Looping next time no doubt.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1992 SW20 MR2 Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Aquamarine Pearl. Project "Prissy"
1992 ST185 Celica All-Trac Turbo. Teal Metallic. Project "Lazarus"
Tippo
Club Member

Postby underscore » Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 pm

Why loop it? If you're going to change from stock just get adapters to run AN lines and an aftermarket cooler.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Alikazam » Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 pm

underscore wrote:Why loop it? If you're going to change from stock just get adapters to run AN lines and an aftermarket cooler.

This! You can even do your own bent hard lines. Its not that tough actually :) Even if you put AN fittings in the cooler and did bent AN or adapted AN lines to fit the cooler :) I know not everyone has easy access to a 37 degree flaring tool. :)
1990 Celica Alltrac - Emma
Gen 3 engine
KO Racing Street Brawler - Precision 5130 Turbo
KO Racing In Factory ECU Case - Link G4x ECU
327 AWHP @ 18psi - pump gas
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby alltracman78 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:33 pm

What's the matter with the OEM stuff if it's in good condition?

Less chance of problems IMO. :)

I'm so jealous, I haven't driven mine in years, it's just hanging out in the garage.
Good for you guys getting shit done.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby Tippo » Fri May 07, 2021 1:40 pm

alltracman78 wrote:What's the matter with the OEM stuff if it's in good condition?

Less chance of problems IMO. :)

I'm so jealous, I haven't driven mine in years, it's just hanging out in the garage.
Good for you guys getting shit done.

Exactly hah! You'll get there with enough time, patience and $ :evil:

I was just frustrated (which is why I was half joking but almost not about the loop) but I got everything attached. Got the connector tapped (expensive m16 1.5 tap) then the new lines connected. GL-5 75w-90 pumped into the car with a little help from a slippery pete. She took just around a gallon. Took her for a drive with no leaks... so far :lol: no grinds yet either!

Going to take Lazzie for another drive tonight to the car wash and keep an eye out for any more leaks. Clutch is catching a bit low and I have all new belts that are going in next and going to inspect the hoses. She's doin OK, but it's a long road ahead.

Here's the pics:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: no more leaks please :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Tippo
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Looking good! My clutch pedal has gone to the floor a few times and found after replacing master, slave, and bleeding several times, it's probably a leak at the firewall connection. So ordered adapter fittings and braided line to replace all of the factory lines with a hose. I'll let you know how that goes lol. Sometimes aftermarket is simpler. Total cost for parts: $56... This time.
Gen 3 engine
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Tippo » Mon May 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Alikazam wrote:Looking good! My clutch pedal has gone to the floor a few times and found after replacing master, slave, and bleeding several times, it's probably a leak at the firewall connection. So ordered adapter fittings and braided line to replace all of the factory lines with a hose. I'll let you know how that goes lol. Sometimes aftermarket is simpler. Total cost for parts: $56... This time.

No leaks on the clutch, just sat for 13 years lol - will definitely have to take an overhaul. Definitely let us know how those braided lines work for the clutch! Aftermarket is definitely simpler in a lot of ways, can tell you from experience :cry: :cry: :cry:

In another bit of news, brake lamps stopped working but running lights are working fine. Naturally I checked all fuses first, then tore apart the brake switch, OHMed it out and confirmed it still was in working condition and also confirmed that sheet metal under the dash is really frickin sharp. Regardless, I tried to pull the brake switch off the 1991 parts GT-S and turns out, it's totally different (WTF)? Anyways, I grabbed all the relays off the GT-S and I'm going to be fiddling around with them. For hee-haws I replaced the fuses which did nothing since they tested out fine with a test light. At least I got another goody bag out of the parts car.

Tippo
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Wed May 12, 2021 7:56 pm

I know this is a silly question but did you check the actual bulbs and plugs? Maybe a ground or common power or something broke.
Gen 3 engine
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Tippo » Thu May 13, 2021 10:59 am

Alikazam wrote:I know this is a silly question but did you check the actual bulbs and plugs? Maybe a ground or common power or something broke.

Yup! I actually replaced all the bulbs because why not. Also the plugs were actually in good looking condition. I voltage tested the wires running to the lights - the running lights obviously lit up with voltage but when the brake is depressed, the secondary had 0 voltage. My guess is either a bad ground, a bad fuse terminal or worse - a bad wire lol.

I replaced whatever relay I could with absolutely no success. I bought a new brake switch just in case, I retested the old one using ohms again and this time it was acting funny. Noise only came on incrementally which means probably not a good enough connection...

Also, my ABS isn't working and the light is on. I've read some horror stories on ABS threads and looked what I'm in for, it doesn't look good lol. A bad ABS module will most likely result in me throwing it out of the car haha - but since I'm trying to restore I'm praying that's not the case. It appears the GT-S had ABS so hopefully that wasn't removed as well :doh:
Tippo
Club Member

Postby underscore » Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Another silly question, but is the switch height adjusted properly? I had that issue in a car once, the switch was installed and working but depressing the pedal didn't actually reach it.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Tippo » Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 am

underscore wrote:Another silly question, but is the switch height adjusted properly? I had that issue in a car once, the switch was installed and working but depressing the pedal didn't actually reach it.

I tried the switch when it was uninstalled from the car with my finger like a launch button regardless of where I was pressing it, it was doing nothing. I took it out, OHMed it again for a double double check and it still worked :shrug: . Regardless, the new switch is going in tonight or this weekend and will see if that's the problem. I mean at 8 bucks, why not try another switch? Just everyone collectively pray it's the switch! :notworthy:
Tippo
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project