RORERI: A JDM 1992 ST185H-BLMVZ

Roreri

Yep, absolutely. I would have loved to have filled it up to the level of the plug. But as I wasn’t able to get the fill plug loose the only way I had to get gearbox oil into it was through the top.

The gearbox oil cooler had been punctured, and the gearbox oil leaked out. It had drained out to the point where it wasn’t much coming out of the ports that lead to the oil cooler are, when I took off the oil cooler and replaced it with the MR2 loop.

As those ports are quite low on the transmission, I put in the spec amount. I am betting that I put in too much and it’s burping out of a vent. I’ll test this theory out, but I’m betting it only leaks when I drive it. When it’s sitting there idling it doesn’t leak, as best as I can tell.

Anyway, it’s just a mess at the moment. I’ll get it sorted. I have a replacement gearbox oil radiator, and I’ll get a set of transmission plugs. When the weather warms up I’ll get down there and get the existing seized plugs off, let it drain out, get the gearbox oil cooler loop reinstalled, put the drain plug back on, and then refill it to the right level through the opening on the front of the transmission.

alltracman78

Did you fill with 5 quarts or 5 liters?

When you get the new drain/fill plugs don't forget the metal seals for the plugs. Make sure you get the aluminum ones, not steel. Don't want to gouge the sealing surface.

Roreri

5 quarts which is 4.75 liters.

I’ll pay attention to the plug seals. It seems like someone previously used the red gasket material on the fill plug. Do you see it sticking out on the right side?

59D098C9-041E-488F-898B-E24175B06246.jpeg

EDIT: Confirmed today. It doesn't leak when running and just sitting there. It just vibrates off the stuff that's clinging to the outside as the engine compartment warms up. It's coming out the top gearbox vent. It's coating the works in a fine layer of Toyota anti-corrosion material.

:roll:

Roreri

Ah, okay. That makes sense. It sure didn't want to come off. But then again, the handle of the socket I was using wasn't particularly long.

Roreri

GEARBOX OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT

The weather agreed today, and so I got the Roreri up on ramps and got after it.

I guess the replacement gearbox oil cooler I got from GT4Heaven (on the left) was from an ST205. The fittings were not the same, and as you can see they just hacked off the metal tube. I was worried, but thankfully, the threads were the same, so it went together onto the ST185 hose assembly.

New and Old Gearbox Oil Coolers.JPG
I guess it's easy to see which one is the outbound port by where the gearbox oil is coming from!

Draining Gearbox Oil.JPG
About 5 quarts of gearbox oil came out before the flow had slowed to a steady dripping. Then, I took it down off the ramp to tilt the nose down my driveway and continued to collect about another 14 ounces in a cup.

Since it was pretty slow dripping at that point, I went ahead and reinstalled the gearbox oil cooler. It’s all together again.

Gearbox Oil Cooler Installed.JPG
If the weather is nice tomorrow, I’ll put gearbox oil back into it and test it out.

When it's all done, and everything is sound, I need to wipe everything down, getting up into the engine compartment from below as best I can. It smells of gearbox oil fairly strongly. But on the plus side, that passenger side undercarriage is rust protected!

Tippo

Roreri":3derkvz1 said:
GEARBOX OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT

The weather agreed today, and so I got the Roreri up on ramps and got after it.

I guess the replacement gearbox oil cooler I got from GT4Heaven (on the left) was from an ST205. The fittings were not the same, and as you can see they just hacked off the metal tube. I was worried, but thankfully, the threads were the same, so it went together onto the ST185 hose assembly.

I guess it's easy to see which one is the outbound port by where the gearbox oil is coming from!

View attachment 2
About 5 quarts of gearbox oil came out before the flow had slowed to a steady dripping. Then, I took it down off the ramp to tilt the nose down my driveway and continued to collect about another 14 ounces in a cup.

Since it was pretty slow dripping at that point, I went ahead and reinstalled the gearbox oil cooler. It’s all together again.

View attachment 1
If the weather is nice tomorrow, I’ll put gearbox oil back into it and test it out.

When it's all done, and everything is sound, I need to wipe everything down, getting up into the engine compartment from below as best I can. It smells of gearbox oil fairly strongly. But on the plus side, that passenger side undercarriage is rust protected!

Glad to see everything coming together again! I did something similar with my SW20 MR2. Hood latch came undone, flapped upwards and bent the hood out of commission, shattered my windshield, bent my roof, destroyed the wiper system and cowl. Did so much damage for something so stupid. However, there is silver lining - my windshield cowl was rotting and I was able to clean and stop the rust before it rotted through. Always look for the positives (like rust protection) when these type of things happen :)

Roreri

Yeah, absolutely!

I was a little shocked at how dirty the gearbox oil I drained was. This is the gearbox oil I added after the incident, after only about 300km. I guess there was some worn oil in there that needed to be flushed out.

Gearbox Oil.JPG

SECURING THE GEARBOX OIL COOLER AND COSMETIC WORK

Since the gearbox oil cooler is from an ST205, it has different connection fittings, so I used twisted wire to secure it to the structural components. It wouldn't do to have it rattling and vibrating the fittings loose. Not great looking, but sound as can be, until I get some braces fabbed and do a better job of it. Once I reinstall the plastic deck shield over the top of it, all this ugliness will be hidden from view.

Wire Tie for Gearbox Oil Cooler.JPG
I took some steel wool to the exhaust pipe, brushed on some Ospho, then primed and painted it. I used a little JB Weld SteelStik to fill in a couple of rust pinholes. Undecided about that color. It was the Toyota Magnetic Gray Metallic, but it looks pretty dark. Perhaps a dusting of silver to brighten it up. There was a larger hole at the front of the rear can that I've plugged up with JB Weld SteelStik. At some point, a new exhaust will be in order, but for now I'm working on other things. Plus, I like the sound this one makes and if I go with something else who knows what it will sound like, you know?

Exhaust Pipe Before and After.JPG
This morning I put in 3 quarts of gearbox oil, assuming that I had a quart in there, still, when I re-installed the gearbox oil cooler. I applied a patch kit to the hole in the coolant overflow bottle this morning, let it cure, then took it on a 10km short loop then an 80km long loop. Mechanically, the Roreri is sound. Stable temps, good performance.

The patch on the coolant overflow bottle didn't quite completely close up the hole. I guess I didn't apply enough epoxy to the spot right where the hole was, so it's still weeping through very slowly. A little epoxy schmutzed on there will seal it up tight, once it's dry.

No gearbox oil venting out the top. I'm going to add a bit and then test it again. Best way I can try and find the right fill, as forcing the copper crush on the drain and fill plug seals is beyond my current tools and I don't have the replacement plugs and seals yet.

I got down underneath with a brass brush and some Ospho, too, continuing along the exhaust pipe path. I will tell you that is a pain in the ass.

It's coming back together. It's been eight weeks since my order with Carbon MicroSystems, and so that replacement hood and grille are soon to arrive. All of this is just preparation for the main show!

Roreri

MORE COSMETIC AND EXHAUST WORK

The weather being beautiful again today, I went out and got after the exhaust and the front bumper. I went ahead and got a close color match to Toyota Silver Metallic for the tailpipe--it has primer, then Toyota Magnetic Metallic Gray, then Silver Metallic--I reckon it's decently protected until I decide on a new exhaust system:
Tailpipe Before and After.JPG
Then I painted over the JB Weld SteelStik I used to close up that hole in the exhaust:
Exhaust Before and After.JPG
Then I masked off the bumper and applied a close match to Toyota Black and gloss clearcoat--it'll do until I take it in for more comprehensive paint correction and minor bodywork:
Bumper Before and After.JPG
I applied some epoxy to finish sealing up the coolant bottle, then I added half a quart of gearbox oil.

I took the Roreri out on a drive, got lunch, and picked up the daughter, which (as always) got some reactions from teachers and students, even though the hood is still dinged up.

When I got home, no dripping from the vent, so that's good. I'll add the remainder of the 1 gallon jug tomorrow and try it again. I'll get under it and Ospho and paint the remainder of the exhaust as well, and maybe sand that patch on the coolant overflow bottle and paint it. It's the little things.

Roreri

Took the GT Four out on a 40 mile loop and out to get coffee this weekend. Never fails to get comments or looks--a testament to this car's appeal.

While I'm waiting on a new hood and radiator grill from Carbon MicroSystem (it feels like it's been forever!) I'm continuing to get at the little things. I got out my little bottle of Toyota 202 Black and prepped and painted the rear window wiper arm assembly.
Rear Window Wiper Before and After.JPG
Once I get the hood and radiator grill installed, I'll see to the air conditioning system.

I've planted the seed with Mrs. Mack for purchase of a set of Yellow Speed Coilovers--we shall see!

Domspun

Roreri":1d7fv73u said:
I've planted the seed with Mrs. Mack for purchase of a set of Yellow Speed Coilovers--we shall see!

I've got the gravel model, car is at the highest possible. I'm going to dial down the setting, I'm at 20 on 32 clicks, it's a bit too stiff/ bouncy. Construction quality is impressive. The fabrication delay was bit longer than advertised, was about 6 weeks to received them.

Roreri

Yellow Speed’s rally spec offering did appeal to me but it’s a decision down that path. Then you start thinking mud flaps and other sorts of rally oriented setup, ya know? My GT-Four does have a TTE rear undershield, so the previous owner was at least thinking along those lines. Just didn’t carry through, and decided on a mixed bag by dropping the front an inch and the back a half inch, and camber plates. Maybe two previous owners with conflicting ideas. I must admit that the slightly lowered stance and tight handling has endeared itself to me.

Where I’m going to take this next (Colorado) there are some many miles of gravel twisties but many miles of paved twisties. If the rally spec coilovers offer an acceptable ride on the street I’d consider it. Decisions.

Took it out Sunday for coffee. Two dudes chatted me up about it. On top of it just being enjoyable as hell to drive, if you want affirmation, the AllTrac/GT-Four will set you up!

Waiting on that carbon fiber hood and radiator grill. Also wanting to see to the air conditioning and the coilover kit.

Go go Carbon Micro Systems! Weather is getting too nice not to daily it but I don’t want to drive my girl around with a scuffed up nose.

simple

"Where I’m going to take this next (Colorado) there are some many miles of gravel twisties but many miles of paved twisties."

Not to rain in your parade but that isn't really true. The closer you are to the front range or ski areas the roads may look fun but are constantly packed with people. The motorcycle folks looking for a good time get up really early to rip up the canyons and they find the bicyclists have done the same. Still fun!

Folks with fast cars go to one of two tracks to rip laps. Another bummer is that those two tracks are down from a dozen tracks back in the day. The drag strip has more kooks with diesel trucks than Japanese cars.

It's been a topic my friends and I have discussed for years. We have all put the fun cars aside for toys that actually let us escape from the crowds and go fast all day rather than for 2 minutes before hitting a tourist. Toys with handlebars mostly.

grip-addict

that looks really nice.
Do you have to do anything to adapt the steering wheel, or is it just plug and play?
I need to get an adapter for an OMP wheel I want to use, I just need to figure out which one i need...

Roreri

@grip-addict did you reply to the wrong thread? Or are you asking about the MOMO steering wheel I installed a while back? If you're asking about my steering wheel, I didn't have to do anything special, as it already had a MOMO steering wheel on the yoke. One came off, the other went on.

@simple you mean the decades long campaign of Colorado nativism and xeno-hostility hasn't worked as hoped? I lived there from 82-89 and again from 05-09 and have seen it change over the years. If nothing else there's the windswept flatlands east of the Front Range. You up in Denver and parts north, down toward Colorado Springs, or elsewhere? I'll be out there this summer so looking to join up with car folks.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Fortune Auto 500 Gen 5 Street Series coilovers. So, I've made my choice.

Also, in news relevant to current events, I found a listing for front internal structural parts that I could use to repair the damaged internals of my GT Four. But look closely at the shipping details...no can do!

Celica RC or CS Front Interior Structure.JPG

grip-addict

yep! I was cruising your thread and was commenting on something from page 1. d'oh, sorry about that.
I'm so desperate for car stuff at the moment, I'm totally happy to enjoy stuff vicariously. This is the year to get my car running properly, but it's too cold for me to summon the motivation just yet. The 30 degree weather inside my detached garage is keeping me inside.

I'm curious to hear how the FA coilovers work out. I have BC's on my car and if we cross paths this year as you head westward, you're welcome to see what you think about them. Hopefully you'll have your FA's by then though :)

Roreri

No apology needed—it just threw me for a loop! Actually you did me a favor because it put me in mind to try and figure out why the horn doesn’t work. It seems that the wires are still connected but no beep beep when the thumb buttons are pressed. I need to get at that some day because being mute isn’t always the best though I’m more polite for sure!

I’m looking forward to the FA coilover set. I have some question about whether what I’m getting is even an ST185 set! Though it probably is. Fortune Auto replied to my inquiry stating that they no longer sell coilovers for the ST185, so at least that substantiates that they did at one point. They also said that the Gen5s can be upgraded to Swift springs and Gen7 internals for $600. So that’s a thought…now, or later?

As an additional, FA sells the FA500 Gen 7 for the ST205, for $1599. So that might be of use to someone.

And yeah winter sucks for getting anything done, for sure.

EDIT: And as expected, motorsportsammo.com didn’t actually have a FA500 set for the ST185. At least they were quick to reply and issue a refund.

Domspun

Roreri":33ppq0yq said:
Yellow Speed’s rally spec offering did appeal to me but it’s a decision down that path. Then you start thinking mud flaps and other sorts of rally oriented setup, ya know? My GT-Four does have a TTE rear undershield, so the previous owner was at least thinking along those lines. Just didn’t carry through, and decided on a mixed bag by dropping the front an inch and the back a half inch, and camber plates. Maybe two previous owners with conflicting ideas. I must admit that the slightly lowered stance and tight handling has endeared itself to me.

Where I’m going to take this next (Colorado) there are some many miles of gravel twisties but many miles of paved twisties. If the rally spec coilovers offer an acceptable ride on the street I’d consider it. Decisions.

Took it out Sunday for coffee. Two dudes chatted me up about it. On top of it just being enjoyable as hell to drive, if you want affirmation, the AllTrac/GT-Four will set you up!

Waiting on that carbon fiber hood and radiator grill. Also wanting to see to the air conditioning and the coilover kit.

Go go Carbon Micro Systems! Weather is getting too nice not to daily it but I don’t want to drive my girl around with a scuffed up nose.

The Gravel Rally spec handle better than my previous coil-overs (CX racing). You can keep a ride height close to stock and get better handling and they won't bottom out like most coil-overs. I also added wheel spacers, 15mm front and 35mm rear and changed all suspension bushings for polyurethane ones. Feels like a brand new sport car.