RORERI: A JDM 1992 ST185H-BLMVZ

Tippo

Yeah I jump on good deals. The fact that it was a TCS 2GR swap sealed the deal. I was ready to go $25K based on the whole package.

Previous owner (C&B handle Izzy D) gave me the concierge treatment today. Picked me up at the airport in his M2, we went and had absolutely on point Cuban food at his local hangout, insisted on treating me, then we went on a check ride. Gave me his binders with receipts and a bunch of extras. Could not have hoped for better. May all your transactions go like this one.

Aquamarine Pearl is something you have to see in person. Very cool. Only cooler color is Emerald Green Pearl. Younger me loved Super Red. Still catches the eye. But this is just *nice.*

431 flawless miles on the SW20 today. The S54 transmission is hilariously short. It’s like an Evo, wailing away in 5th at speed. 5th gear at 100mph is 5000rpm. Highway speeds at 80mph is 4000rpm. So as a result you *always* feel tight. The Drive By Wire throttle is instantly responsive. The 2GR has a ridic power band. 5th gear and forget it. The 2GR has so much power that you can just pass or whatever in 5th. 1st gear is hilarious. Arguably better to just start in 2nd, unless on an uphill, because you’re gonna be upshifting like *immediately.* And downshifting into first would be like slamming on the brakes (did not do).

It is said “Don’t launch the S54.” Okay. Challenge accepted. I do not launch my cars.

I had a couple of squirrelly moments with the Falken Azenis tires in the rain. Had some weather coming north from Miami today. I admit I did not like that sensation one effing bit. But on dry they were amazing.

Everything except the stereo head unit is analog. No ABS. Roll up windows. Manual mirrors. Manual seats. The radio antenna is a fixed always deployed wire sticking out of the roof. Hard top. Manual steering is a nostalgic af feeling. No cruise control. I guess the 2GR ecu was like “WTF is this primitive cruise control!? NO.” So foot control is it.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Will be interesting to see Ty at TCS and check up on Roreri, and then have the trip home in the SW20 to compare to the GT-Four when complete.
Glad to hear it! The S54 tranny is definitely the bottleneck for that build. The factory Turbo cars came with the e153 tranny (what my SW20 has) which has a better gear ratio and a bit stronger. If you were looking to upgrade in the future the e153 LSD would be the go-to. Also having the hardtop is a huge positive as its lighter than the T-tops and no leaks! The factory NA cars were stripped down to nothing, which is pretty much goals when it comes to weight... but I gatta tell you, I enjoy the electric power steering and power windows/doors. I was lucky enough to find a factory turbo SW20 that was loaded with a 4th gen that came with it (OG motor was blown) AND koukis.

Also my MR2 is Aquamarine Pearl; which is my favorite color. They made ST185 All-tracs in that color as well, but only for the 1991 year. VERY hard to find, but would love to get my hands on one.

Welcome to the club :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_185739_178.jpg
    IMG_20210925_185739_178.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 13

Roreri

Glad to hear it! The S54 tranny is definitely the bottleneck for that build. The factory Turbo cars came with the e153 tranny (what my SW20 has) which has a better gear ratio and a bit stronger. If you were looking to upgrade in the future the e153 LSD would be the go-to. Also having the hardtop is a huge positive as its lighter than the T-tops and no leaks! The factory NA cars were stripped down to nothing, which is pretty much goals when it comes to weight... but I gatta tell you, I enjoy the electric power steering and power windows/doors. I was lucky enough to find a factory turbo SW20 that was loaded with a 4th gen that came with it (OG motor was blown) AND koukis.

Also my MR2 is Aquamarine Pearl; which is my favorite color. They made ST185 All-tracs in that color as well, but only for the 1991 year. VERY hard to find, but would love to get my hands on one.

Welcome to the club :cool:
What a great photo. That's a wonderful MR2 you have.

It's been close to a month since I dropped the Lorelei off with Ty at TCS. I stopped by on my way back home from Miami, but it had only been a couple of weeks and nothing new had developed yet. I've been missing it. Somehow, the MR2 doesn't fill the bill, exactly. Wonderful car,

I imagine it will be another month--maybe more--before the Caldina 3S-GTE swap is done. Then I'll fly back and do a check ride from Kentucky to Colorado. That will wear the kevlar disc of the ClutchMasters FX300 in nicely.

Tippo

What a great photo. That's a wonderful MR2 you have.

It's been close to a month since I dropped the Lorelei off with Ty at TCS. I stopped by on my way back home from Miami, but it had only been a couple of weeks and nothing new had developed yet. I've been missing it. Somehow, the MR2 doesn't fill the bill, exactly. Wonderful car,

I imagine it will be another month--maybe more--before the Caldina 3S-GTE swap is done. Then I'll fly back and do a check ride from Kentucky to Colorado. That will wear the kevlar disc of the ClutchMasters FX300 in nicely.

Can't wait to see how Lorelei turns out. As for the MR2, what do you think is missing? Just the overall feel? Too lowbrow or too different? I'm curious because the NA stripped version of the MR2 I disliked. I had one years back, ended up getting a loaded SW20 factory turbo and it is leaps and bounds better. I've been in a few 2gr SW20 and they are torque monsters, but yeah different feel than the caldina 3sgte swapped sw20. Something about that turbo feels so good on our cars.
I actually prefer driving the MR2 over the ST185! I know, blasphemy. Lazarus handles better than Priscilla but still, there's something about that SW20 that's magical.
My least favorite is Mirum. Them BC coilovers just don't do it for me haha.
What'd they whack you overall for the swap by the way? I was about 7500 into mine including the swap from Tecker & the cost of parts.

Roreri

Can't wait to see how Lorelei turns out. As for the MR2, what do you think is missing? Just the overall feel? Too lowbrow or too different? I'm curious because the NA stripped version of the MR2 I disliked. I had one years back, ended up getting a loaded SW20 factory turbo and it is leaps and bounds better. I've been in a few 2gr SW20 and they are torque monsters, but yeah different feel than the caldina 3sgte swapped sw20. Something about that turbo feels so good on our cars.
I actually prefer driving the MR2 over the ST185! I know, blasphemy. Lazarus handles better than Priscilla but still, there's something about that SW20 that's magical.
My least favorite is Mirum. Them BC coilovers just don't do it for me haha.
What'd they whack you overall for the swap by the way? I was about 7500 into mine including the swap from Tecker & the cost of parts.
I didn't really detail it, I see. I said "Wonderful car," and then didn't elaborate.

As for things that are a little different and take some getting used to: I think that the lack of hood feel is one aspect--whereas in the GT-Four the way it sits, I feel low and roadstery, and I'm looking over the interesting visual lines of the CS hood and the fuel pressure gauge out there in the open. With the MR2 it's the steering wheel, the glass, the road. Maybe I need to drop it an inch. The NA 2GR feels different than the 3S-GTE turbo and not having the additional turbo sensations is a factor. The 2GR just works, pulls like a donkey (I am leaning toward calling this MR2 Donkey), and is a howler with that S54. But the 3S-GTE sings differently and the turbo kick in is a thing to experience as you know. The shortness of the gearing on the S54 means it feels a lot more like a little fighter jet because it's always yelling at 4000 or more. The manual everything does take a little getting used to--manual steering being the primary factor but getting over the center hump to roll down the passenger side window is a pain in the ass. The being on the left hand side as opposed to the right. I get a LOT less attention in the MR2 than I do in the RHD GT-Four.

They are going to be fun in different ways--that much is clear.

I took Donkey on a 120 mile drive today in the Rockies. She grew on me as I went. I really hadn't had any MR2 pleasure driving until today. Just the drive from Miami to Colorado which was cool but a 500 mile a day mostly straight line badump badump badump grind, and since then, some in town driving. She is definitely very planted and carves curves, even with the BC Coilovers which are as you say not top gear. The 2GR-FE power is amazing; as long as you're rolling you've got plenty of power, though I have been a doofus and stalled it on start a time or three while I am still getting used to how tight the S54 gearing is. If you want to pass and you have any room to pass you are passing. The manual steering will work you, but you feel the road. Because reasons, I'm approaching curves from the standpoint of enter at the correct speed or slower if you must, not faster. If you screw up, go wide if you can, establish a straight line toward apex and brake. No panic braking. Hit apex, accelerate through. By the end of the drive I'd gotten into her.

I need to go get weighed. With it being the NA version and the 2GR being lighter it 2500lbs wouldn't surprise me. That's what I'm calling it.

I am into TCS for $11,900 for the Caldina 3S-GTE swap. That's with all the options: seal package, fuel pump, ClutchMasters FX300 clutch, Fidanza flywheel. powder coating, custom FMIC, electronic boost controller, lightweight batter install, working AC, old tuner gear delete, my gauges hooked into the new motor. Worth it, almost certainly.

So yes I too am looking forward to seeing the Lorelei again in a month or so.

Also, I need to set up a sig line like yours with this:

1991 SW20 MR2 2GR-FE Swap. Aquamarine Pearl. "Donkey"
1992 ST185 JDM Celica GT-Four Turbo Caldina 3SGTE Swap. Black. "Lorelei"

Last edited:

Waldo88

Gen4.5 almost kinda done. Need to do the FMIC and throttle cable bracket. Fired up this Morning. Due to budget car Paint and body is on hold. This alltrac is in rough shape but will be brought back to Life.

Attachments

• 20230912_171616.JPG
    20230912_171616.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Roreri

Okay! We are near the finish line. I am expecting to go pick the Lorelei up in a couple of weeks. Was done in December but the fuel tank was discovered to be rusty and measures had to be taken. Aaron Bunch at ATS knew a guy and so the tank went there to get treated. It should be done soon and then back to TCS to be put back together and then ready for me to make the drive back to Colorado.

I have registered it to participate in a rally in South Dakota in June. So I am jazzed to have her back soon!

A couple of photos from Ty:

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 13

Roreri

Where do you have your intake routed to?
It comes up from low in the engine compartment, to the turbo. It routes around back down to the battery side of the engine compartment to the intercooler then across to the other side then back up and across the top of the motor to the throttle body.

Tippo

Okay! We are near the finish line. I am expecting to go pick the Lorelei up in a couple of weeks. Was done in December but the fuel tank was discovered to be rusty and measures had to be taken. Aaron Bunch at ATS knew a guy and so the tank went there to get treated. It should be done soon and then back to TCS to be put back together and then ready for me to make the drive back to Colorado.

I have registered it to participate in a rally in South Dakota in June. So I am jazzed to have her back soon!

A couple of photos from Ty:
SHE LIVES! love to see it. looks good so far, can't wait what you have to say about it.

Roreri

Update:

Back in July when I thought it would be another month, maybe two. Those were good times. Obviously I was overly optimistic. Very overly, as now we are approaching eight months.

BUT. I am reassured that the finished product will be 1000% satisfactory. I’ll still need to get around to setting the internal structural members on the nose right. Junkyard parts and backyard body shop work there, perhaps. And I’ll be looking around for a fuse box lid to replace the uh, somewhat melted one that is still in use. I don’t know why I thought an engine swap would eliminate that. Probably thought the Gen5 would have a completely different fusebox. BUT. The tach is set right. It was reading a bit low just before the great battery fire of 2023.

The only thing remaining is the gas tank recoating and reinstall. Now of course Carbon Microsystem is taking 900 Euro preorders for cf ST185/ST205 gas tanks—an interesting lightweight and corrosion proof option PROVIDED the tank coating won’t eventually end up as flakes and dust and gum to foul the sock and filter and try and make its way to the sides of the fuel line and injectors. The possibility of dropping XXlbs off the back is another benefit. You can take a peep at that possibility here:

But anyway, not an option for me at the moment. Those cf tanks are a year out at least. Two years more likely. Something you throw your money at and forget about until they email you with the 500 Euro shipping and handling charge.

Getting impatient. Spring is approaching and I have already slightly bent a control arm (still in use though that right front wheel is maxed out at -1 degree camber) and ruined a set of front wheels and lost a tire incidental to driving the MR2 in winter. Blizzaks would have been a good choice. Sigh. Man must suffer to be wise.

Gert

Contacted Carbon Store about that tank in october 2023. As soon as they can provide it with an fuel filler pipe, I am on it!

We rebuilded my old tank and tried to fix the filler pipe. It is pretty good now, but if I fillup the tank at max level, the car smells at gas.
Very strange, nowhere is gas leaking, but the smell is there.
So, I suppose it is in the filler pipe. Somewhere, there is some small pinhole leaking fumes, I'm afraid. Or it is the bracket, which isn't sealing properly at the tank?

vulpijp04.JPG

Roreri

Contacted Carbon Store about that tank in october 2023. As soon as they can provide it with an fuel filler pipe, I am on it!

We rebuilded my old tank and tried to fix the filler pipe. It is pretty good now, but if I fillup the tank at max level, the car smells at gas.
Very strange, nowhere is gas leaking, but the smell is there.
So, I suppose it is in the filler pipe. Somewhere, there is some small pinhole leaking fumes, I'm afraid. Or it is the bracket, which isn't sealing properly at the tank?

vulpijp04.JPG
Gert I bet it’s that gasket. It looks like a condom grand dad used back in the WW2. Get a new gasket and try it. It’s the only real place that smell could be coming from.

Roreri

Ty Saxon at TCS reports that Roreri is swap complete and refurbed gas tank reinstalled. I am flying out on the 4th of March to pick it up. Looking forward to completing what will have been a $13K and nine month saga!

(The swap was ready at the six month mark but having to send the tank off to get refurbed added a lot of time especially as it went over Christmas)

Last edited: