88gt4de ... 165 Round # 2

88gt4DE

So I needed another project like I need a hole in my head :doh: , especially another 165 , But I couldn't resist it being it was close to home and I knew the guy for quite a few years. Checking it out it was a little rough from sitting for a while outside but the floors and rockers seem to be in decent shape. It has every single issue every other 165 had / has all at once due to the amount of time it has sat. Since bringing her home I have managed to get it to start on its own after fuel pump replacement and clutch switch replacement. Now working on the reason it was parked for ... overheating. I'm sure this will end in the head coming off like all others , just exhausting all the other possibilities first. I still have my black 165 and its not going anywhere. Not sure if I'm going to keep this one or not yet. Just wanted to save it and see how it drives and go from there. Few pics .... :smokes:

GT4times2

Congratulations!! Another one being saved! That's the spirit. What are your plans for her? Any bigger pics? Keeping it GEN1?

88gt4DE

GT4times2":cvljqcf2 said:
Congratulations!! Another one being saved! That's the spirit. What are your plans for her? Any bigger pics? Keeping it GEN1?

Thanks ! Shes been keeping me busy for sure , while my other one is watching me do all this to the new one and is waiting to pay me back. :lol: First goal is to get it tagged. Thought I had an engine issue but all is well with the new radiator so for now it will stay Gen1. So mainly get DMV stuff done to tag it and go from there. Exhaust is patched up for emissions sake but needs more work. Working on brakes now. Still not sure I’m going to keep it. I’ve taken lots of pics just haven't uploaded them yet. Hoping to have some time soon to do that. Pretty much all my free time past few months have been spent on trying to get this thing going.

GT4times2

88gt4DE":3uirq28m said:
GT4times2":3uirq28m said:

Thanks ! Shes been keeping me busy for sure , while my other one is watching me do all this to the new one and is waiting to pay me back. :lol: First goal is to get it tagged. Thought I had an engine issue but all is well with the new radiator so for now it will stay Gen1. So mainly get DMV stuff done to tag it and go from there. Exhaust is patched up for emissions sake but needs more work. Working on brakes now. Still not sure I’m going to keep it. I’ve taken lots of pics just haven't uploaded them yet. Hoping to have some time soon to do that. Pretty much all my free time past few months have been spent on trying to get this thing going.

That's great!! Hope you have it running in top shape soon. Nice to see them running. So, it wasn't the head? That's good. Any rust?

88gt4DE

GT4times2":14wkk42q said:
88gt4DE":14wkk42q said:
GT4times2":14wkk42q said:

That's great!! Hope you have it running in top shape soon. Nice to see them running. So, it wasn't the head? That's good. Any rust?

Nope. Wasn't the head. Was simply the radiator. Had an ASI in it that wasnt that old from what I was told. System was pretty dirty. Flushed multiple times. Heater clogged. Changed tstat , water pump and timing belt just because of age. Cooling fan relay bad. Wrong radiator caps meaning double pressure caps. And the hose from radiator to pressure tank clogged. Whew :twisted: No major rust but has had some poor body work. Gonna try to straighten it up best I can. Front bumper is hung wrong. Its sitting too high and when headlights close its pinching the grill. Im currently fighting the brakes. Doing the 185 calipers etc on front and after doing the right side I lost the pedal completely. Didnt run out of fluid but has no pressure when bleeding. Idk. Gonna do other side and try to bleed again. My other one gave me no issues with that swap and still feels great. :shrug:

GT4times2

Whew!!! Getting some work done on it!! Great to hear!! Keep it up and (recent/before and after) pics would nice. :notworthy: :notworthy:

88gt4DE

GT4times2":2s2u1f07 said:
Whew!!! Getting some work done on it!! Great to hear!! Keep it up and (recent/before and after) pics would nice. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks. Will do. I got plenty of pics to add. DMV tomorrow and then I can take a break for a week or so before tearing into more. :smokes:

88gt4DE

Car is officially on the road and tagged. Still shaking her down. I will upload tons of pics in the near future 8)

88gt4DE

Here's some pics .. More to come later ... :smokes:

This is before any clean up when I went to look at it.

Some kind of weird old alarm system.

Don't mind my thumb :roll:

Fog light mod.

See what's missing ? :wink:

Dirty but not rusty !

Window re-seal fun

Rear Spherical bushings :doh:

After interior clean up and dash cover ...

Hood Teaser ...

Heated Mirror repair ...

Clutch Hydraulics ....

Rolling shots after getting her on the road ...

Well that's it for now. Theres TONS more pictures but I had to cut it down a bit ... More later down the road :smokes:

giphy.gif

88gt4DE

underscore":3se1hgdp said:
Well someone has been busy!

Yes , 2 is alot more work than 1. Actually been a year for this one now. It was 5 months of just about everyday to get her going.