Grip Addict's project: it's always the small things

Talk about your project car here

Re: Grip Addict's project: it's always the small things

Postby autojumbled » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:48 am

very nice update :D

Looking forward to some pics and words on the COP install!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
autojumbled
Club Member

Postby Gert » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:50 pm

I had coppers once and before that, wasted spark with an Bosch twin coil.

Wasted spark: https://www.gtfour.nl/celi018.htm

Coppers: https://www.gtfour.nl/celi030.htm

Long story short: I did not notice any improvement above the stock Toyota system.

Long story: first I installed the Bosch twin coil. But since there are no plug wires for the 3S that fits, I had to make them my own.
Then, since I have an Autronic SMC, I got myself an Autronic CDI and Yamaha R6 coils. I decided to give that a try and get rid off the igniter and stock setup.
Worked good, but the Autronic cannot handle platium sparkplugs (in fact it can, but lifespan is excessivly shortened with the Autronic CDI), so I used normal copper plugs, but the Yamaha coils are needing plugs with thread at the top, to hold the coppers. Another challenge *sigh*.
And, not to forget, what I found out later on the Autronic forum, some coppers are giving an ECU error now and then. Nothing bad, just the blinking sign in the dash, but I hate that too.

Then, when it was getting cold, it was harder and harder to start the car. So I started tweaking fuel and ignition maps, plugs, etc. But nothing helped.
So, I turned back to the original Toyota ignition system, with distributorcap, leads and platinum plugs. That is rock solid for about 80.000 kms. Bought new stuff and that is sitting in the car without any problems.

BTW, changing back to stock ignition did not solve my cold start problem. That was the reluctor interface. An reluctor interface is used with the Autronic SMC, what is in my car, and this device is changing the trigger signal from a pulse signal to square wave. When cold, this device quit working. Anyway: new device solved that headache.
Gert
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:26 pm

That's some good information Gert. I'm hoping I won't have that same experience. I'll be moving to hall effect sensors (square wave). Were you still using the factory distributor to do triggering?

I am not looking forward to pulling the gauge cluster out again to do the tach resistor mod. I feel like the cluster is coming out every year now :)
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby Gert » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:43 pm

grip-addict wrote:Were you still using the factory distributor to do triggering?

Yes, my old Autronic SMC is using the modified distributor.

Later models Autronic can use the stock trigger setup.

Changing other type off ignition only requires some software changes in the laptop. And, with the 500R CDI it needs to modify the tacho too *sigh*.
Gert
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 am

Time for the bi-monthly update!
I've put some good miles on the car since the tune. It drives nicely for the most part, still some hesitation in transient throttle conditions, but I'm throwing in the towel on that for now (see end of post for details). It pulls decently well and turbo response is good, but it takes a bit more throttle than I'd expect to get moving. It does has enough grunt to force power-oversteer once the turbo is generating pressure, which is a nice feeling to have in this car. After some recommendations from cms-gtfour like tightening up the rear coilovers, the car definitely behaves more like rwd than a plow-happy 90's Toyota. I'm enjoying it for sure.

I had to shuffle cars around a bit last week, so I thought I'd take a short video as too often we are posting about Celicas that need work and aren't actually running:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qryu0Xyan4ugdg6Siw8T7hY1jjPvaR3Q
<I'm choosing to ignore my poor red 185 that's sitting in the corner, hoping to run again some day>

I've always wanted to send oil to Blackstone for analysis, and I finally did it for the first time this year. Feel free to take a look at the results. The flashpoint for the oil is shockingly low, there is way too much contamination in the oil.

GEN 3-221214_230103_155411.jpg

At least I finally got my answer on my motor's health. I've suspected for quite a long time that it had some issues, but I was always leaning more towards head lift/gasket issues than rings. I changed the oil, strapped down the spare motor from MN, and hauled it over to Nixspeed over the weekend:
20230120_132222.jpg

The spare motor came with manifolds, fuel rails, throttle body, etc. I think between new gaskets and swapping out the idle bypass valve, I should finally have some good tip-in transient throttle response.
Well that, and Nick is building me a 3s with 9.5:1 compression ratio, forged bottom end, upgraded studs and bearings, gen4 crank trigger assembly, gsc stg1 cams, shimless buckets, and a ctxona. I think that'll help, too. 8)
grip-addict
Club Member

Previous

Return to My Project