Bolt In roll Cage.

dkpain

Anyone know about a bolt in roll cage available out there? I found one at autopower.com but it only fits a st165. I need one for a st185. Or is there any cages that are close and need minor modifications? I could build my own but time is limited. I'm sure that someone out there has done this? :shrug:

WideFNopen

Bolt in = junk, if you really need a cage then make sure it is for real and has the proper padding, otherwise spend your money in a different area.

wakkjobb

dang, ouch... jaded much? :wink: What's so bad about bolt-in cages? Are they acceptable for DD cars that see some track (drag or auto-x) time?

Dan

TimmyD

I've been trying to find a bolt in cage or even roll bar for mine that meets any sort of specs for the local Rally Sprint, Hill Climb, or Solosprint. The cages I've found don't meet their minimum dimensions for tube thickness or have issues with the front bars (although there are some that go through the dash). For slalom... Anything you can do to make the car stiffer is good, but it will cost you weight, and still may not give you a great place to put a harness (Which also will have to meet minimum specs) while preventing you from advancing into faster motorsports due to the cage not being up to spec. Spend the money on tires and suspension, unless you've found something new that I haven't.

So short of a custom bolt in or a full welded roll bar or cage I still haven't found anything.

rio_cyber

for european customers..

http://www.heigo.de/ASP/index.asp?PID=& ... CAT=Toyota

10423_01.jpg

http://www.heigo.de/ASP/index.asp?PID=& ... CAT=Toyota
10422_01.jpg

gt4tified

wakkjobb":1l9dumwy said:
dang, ouch... jaded much? :wink: What's so bad about bolt-in cages? Are they acceptable for DD cars that see some track (drag or auto-x) time?

Dan

In response to your post, I guess they would, otherwise no company would be foolish enough to produce them without looking at the dynamics of demand.

However, this is the RALLY ROW forum and as a result, if you do your research, you would see that most rally clubs are very stringent about roll cages. In most instances, they demand seam welded roll cages....while these are terribly expensive, they provide the most impact-resistance while keeping you safe.

Why make bolt-on ones then...well as you said, there are many drag cars and even auto-x cars that believe they are better than nothing and (although I don't believe in them) are a way of barely satisficing non-specific rules.

dkpain

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help. I know that a bolt in cage is not as good as a full welded cage. But the time that it'll save me is substantial. I'm building a ice race/rally car out of a JDM GT-4 RC. Here is the link to our local club.

http://www.iceracingthunderbay.com/

I'm looking to compete in the unlimited GTX class. The bolt in cage is just a fast way to get the basic cage in then build off of it. Connect to the front towers and tighten up the body. I was kind of guided toward the bolt in by a very experienced member of our club who races an eagle talon. He figures that its much easier. Then you can always weld it up instead of bolting. The best part is that it'll be tight to the a-pillars, and roof. You guys have so much info on this site its great.

TimmyD

rio_cyber":2wau9g7u said:

Those look like some serious bolt in cages. I obviously can't read everything there but I see a price of over 4000 Euros on one (over $5000 US) and I see FIA in one description and dimensions of 1.5-1.6 inches which would meet some but not all specs for racing. Makes me think a decent bolt in cage is possible but not necessarily as a cost saving measure. A custom welded in cage around here would be between $1K and $2K from my limited searching locally

wakkjobb

Well I learned something today... leave the street cars on the street and build a track car for the track. I didn't take into account the rules/regulations for safety regarding cages... :doh:

With the way people drive around here, maybe a helmet isn't a bad idea... got cut off by an Escalade last night around 75mph. Not fun and she was on the phone and eating something.

Could have been eating the steering wheel if I didn't swerve and brake in time.

Dan

Shaggz00

If anybody is looking for a bolt in harness bar, I got you covered. I just made one for my 165. I could make more if anybody is interested. Any size tubing you want, DOM or Chrome-Moly.

BTW, I saw a comment about the seam welded tubing ( I believe you were referring to ERW tubing, aka Electronic Resistance Welded tubing), meaning it has a seam down the inside of the tube. While some lighter regulations don't rule againt it, ERW tubing is generally not allowed. I think you meant DOM tubing (aka Drawn Over Mandrel) meaning it is seamless.

Mafix

i'll need you to get erics cage built so i can have mine! lol.
just so you guys know shaggs builds roll cages.

gt4tified

Shaggz00, what you need to start building are some underbody braces, rear strut and front strut braces for the alltracs! Conrad of Ace Eng. does them but in addition to being across the border to the north, he rents out his shop and can't deliver on orders in a timely fashion.

WideFNopen

Just to add a little clarity here:

A "roll cage" and a "roll bar" are two different things. I think it would be smart to do a bolt in roll bar but not a bolt in roll cage.

Bolt in roll bars are perfect for street/ weekend warrior rides since they do not pose a risk to the driver when no helmet is worn and they let you go to a five point restraint system.

You will rarely find a bolt in cage in a race car since they will not pass tech. If you need a cage then the first thing to do is get the rule book out and then get in touch with a tech inspector from your series and let them advise you on "what they want to see".

PS Shaggz is a good dude and I would not hesitate to put a bolt in roll bar made by him if I had a street Trac.

Shaggz00

I'll have to take some pictures of what I'm talking about. It's not a roll bar, just an extremely sturdy harness bar. It's kind of hard to imagine unless you see the pics. I guess one might say whats the point, But I kind of like it as a less bulky alternative to a roll bar. Of course I could always make a cage :p I finally finished one for an RX-8 Grand-Am cup car I've been working on forever and it came out pretty sweet.

Anyways, Lemme take pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Is the reason that some of you guys want a roll bar just for harnesses, or for the chassis stiffness?

TimmyD

A bolt in roll bar for a st185 would be sweet because that is what is required for Hill climbs locally. You don't need a full cage. It could then be used as a basis for a cage later on meaning it isn't wasted. The bar would be cheaper and wouldn't render the back half of the car useless as a daily driver.

Shaggz00

ok, so next question, interior or no interior? Any passengers (meaning, location to mount a passenger harness)?

concealer404

Shaggz00":3549id73 said:
ok, so next question, interior or no interior? Any passengers (meaning, location to mount a passenger harness)?

No interior. Yes to passenger and needing location for passenger harness. :D

At least, that's just me. What kind of price, ballpark, do you anticipate?