WTB: ST185 Coolant Overflow Bottle

Looking for parts, ask around!

WTB: ST185 Coolant Overflow Bottle

Postby Roreri » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

I've been struggling with a leaky coolant overflow bottle for months. I'm not surprised that patches and epoxy don't hold, and though it's not a large leak, I'm losing coolant slowly.

So, I'm looking for a coolant overflow bottle.

abeans had a coolant bottle and offered it to me when he was disposing of a pile of parts, but like a fool I didn't take him up on the offer. @abeans--if you still have it, I'm interested.

Alternately, I could go with an aftermarket coolant bottle, but I'd be interested in recommendations for a make and model that will work well with a (Gen2 if it matters) 3S-GTE.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: WTB: ST185 Coolant Overflow Bottle

Postby 93celicaconv » Fri May 27, 2022 6:09 pm

The ST185 Coolant Overflow Bottle (Toyota P/N 16470-74130) appears to be specific to the ST185 only. That will make it a little more difficult to source. If you haven't yet, maybe do an internet search on the part number and see if anything shows up.
Attachments
16470-74130 Radiator Reserve Tank Assy.jpg
93celicaconv
Club Member

Re: WTB: ST185 Coolant Overflow Bottle

Postby Roreri » Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Thanks much. The difficulty isn't in identifying the part, it's in finding a supplier that actually has it.

I went ahead and took the bottle off, rinsed it out with denatured alcohol, cleaned off all the failed epoxy I'd tried to date, scuffed it up, then applied two layers of JB WaterWeld epoxy putty with an hour between layers, then a layer of JB KwikWeld, all progressively spread out from the hole. Then this morning I applied three layers of high temperature primer. It held boiling water for fifteen minutes, and it held on a long test drive, and is not leaking now, so I'm considering it fixed for the moment.

I'll keep on the lookout though.
Roreri
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Return to Parts Wanted