WTB: ST16x convertible roof system

Looking for parts, ask around!

WTB: ST16x convertible roof system

Postby AvivB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi all,

A friend of mine is rebuilding ST162 convertible.
While trying to rebuild the soft-top roof we got to the conclusion that the system itself is rusted beyond repair.
If one of you have the roof system for sale and/or know a salvage yard that might have, please let me know.

Thanks,
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
/Aviv

('92 ST182RC 1/1 :-) )
"Life is not the fact that your heart is beating but the number of times you miss a heartbeat..." (www)
AvivB
Gold Member

Re: WTB: ST16x convertible roof system

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 pm

There is a salvage yard near me that had a 4th Gen Celica convertible in it. It was there a fairly long time, and I haven't been there for quite some time, so I don't know if it is still there or what condition the frame system might be. Even if it was good, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to ship it to Israel. And I wouldn't know what you would want to be in the set - just the frame only? The hydraulic cylinder lift mechanisms? All hydraulics? Assume you don't want any top material, right? The yard is located in Neenah, Wisconsin, USA. But again, it may have been crushed by now - just haven't been there for awhile.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby AvivB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm

I guess that even if the car is still there and the mechanism is still salvageable, the soft materials probably not so I we'll replace them here.
The car my friend rebuild was exposed to nature for quite a long time so all the top frame has been rusted to the point it fall apart.
If we find something, the we'll take whatever is related to the roof even if there is part or two that we can salvage from the original car.
Do you have this place phone number, name or web site?

ps. shipping to Israel will cost probably more than the parts themselves... we know that... :-(
/Aviv

"Life is not the fact that your heart is beating but the number of times you miss a heartbeat..." (www)
AvivB
Gold Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 pm

The place that might still have a 4th Gen Celica convertible is a pick n' pull, meaning the customers go into the yard & disassemble the parts and bring to the parts counter, where a price is then determined. They may offer labor to remove engines, transmissions, large items. They most likely won't remove what you are seeking, and they certainly won't go to the trouble to prep the parts for shipment, especially for what you are seeking.

You can call them to find out for sure. The name of the business is Gibson Iron & Metal, Inc. Their phone number is 920-722-2821.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby AvivB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Do you think they will be kind enough to take some photos so we even consider the option to send someone (maybe you for a fee) to take it apart and pack it?
Shipping itself is easy to arrange remotely when it already packed.
/Aviv

AvivB
Gold Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 pm

You can call them to find out.

When I next go to the yard, I could check for you also. Just that I don't right now have a reason to go there. Also, in our part of the country, we've had a few weeks of snow already, sub-freezing high temps for the day, and quite windy/blustery conditions, so my eagerness to go out in that is not high.

Why don't you call them and see what they would be willing to do for you first. Then let me know.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Return to Parts Wanted