[How to] Pull the engine

FC Zach

That's one way to do it but I wouldn't recommend that if you have a CS bar (they're smaller and aluminum).

GTSfreak

FC Zach":d7nvk4bi said:
That's one way to do it but I wouldn't recommend that if you have a CS bar (they're smaller and aluminum).

ohh okay, i don't even have the car yet. just planning it out.

is there any other way to use the hoist to lift the car high enough to start this process ?

GTSfreak

im assuming theres no points to pull the car up with the hoist when the engine is in the car. hopefully ramps will not be to steep of an incline that it damages the bumper. i think im just going to have to remove the bumper just to call it safe.

underscore

Why would you be lifting the assembled car with the hoist? You lift the car up just enough to work underneath with jacks and put it on jack stands (it doesn't need to be high enough to slide the engine out at this point). You disconnect everything going to the engine and transmission. You support the engine and transmission with the engine hoist. You unbolt them from the chassis. This is all the same as pulling it out the top. The difference comes in what you do next. You lower the engine and transmission onto a dolly or an old tire or something. You disconnect them from the engine hoist. You connect the engine hoist to the empty chassis and raise it enough to slide the engine and transmission out from under it. You then lower it back down onto the jack stands.

GTSfreak

I guess you have a point there. i think i was just over complicating it in my mind. because i was imagining just disconnecting as much as i can from the top. then getting the car high enough to disconnect it all from the bottom and get the dolly in place and do the motor mounts last and lowing it through the car onto the dolly.

But yeah i suppose i could just jack up the car just enough to get under it to disconnect everything like you're saying and proceed to getting it all ready to be lowered onto a tire. i know for sure my dolly wouldnt fit under the car unless it was jacked up a bit high. but maybe a dirt bike tire or pallet or something to that affect.

underscore

You might be able to get the front end that high right off the bat, but I think it would put things at a difficult angle to work on and then getting the engine to come down straight might be tricky since it's going to want to rotate right away.