how to install new downpipe

alltracst185

did you make sure to get the down pipe for the ct20 and not ct26? if so it's a fairly easy task if you have any wrenching experience. Basically loosen all the exhaust side bolts from the turbo and the three exhaust bolts on the mid pipe to down pipe section. If the down pipe bracket is installed then that also has to be removed along with the o2 sensor. Hope that helps!

N.W. 92 GT-S

yep its made for a ct20b. sounds pretty straight forward. should I hit the bolts with some penatrating oil first ....... thanks

compy591

Might as well trying just taking them off first, I know mine all came of fairly easily. If that doesn't work, or you just want to go ahead and penetration oil them anyway, then go for it. As far as installing it, it is very straightforward. Good luck!

WarTowels

I would NOT try them first, even if they did by chance, come off easy.

There is no loss in putting PB Blater one, but if you try to hard on un PB'd bolts your risk breaking something.

My DP replacement was not fun. I had to remove my old stock one which was basically welded on with rust. I ended up cutting most of it off.

-Towels

compy591

WarTowels":38k03a0e said:
I would NOT try them first, even if they did by chance, come off easy.

There is no loss in putting PB Blater one, but if you try to hard on un PB'd bolts your risk breaking something.

My DP replacement was not fun. I had to remove my old stock one which was basically welded on with rust. I ended up cutting most of it off.

-Towels

Dang, mine came off like nothing. It was actually one of the only thing I have NOT had to use penetrating oil/fire to get off.

gt4me123

Is there enough room in the engine bay of a 185 to just take off the heat shield on the exhaust manifold and work from there? or does alot of stuff have to be moved out of the way?

compy591

Well, on my 165 I just unbolted the DP from both sides, turbo and midpipe, took off the O2 sensor, and dropped the DP down, it seemed pretty simple. You could probably do something similar.

TRDcelica90

Hmmm dump pipes my next mod and the lower bolt on the heat shield is rusted and rounded. cant get the bitch off. tried sockets, WD-40 and pliers its in there pretty good.. will i need to get the heatshield off?

Chai

TRDcelica90":33hch7kd said:
Hmmm dump pipes my next mod and the lower bolt on the heat shield is rusted and rounded. cant get the bitch off. tried sockets, WD-40 and pliers its in there pretty good.. will i need to get the heatshield off?

try a cutting wheel. or if not that and you don't want the heat shield anymore just bend and pull and do what ever till it breaks off.