3sgte swapped 89 corolla all trac

Interwhat

The swap: 3sgte (gen 2) +gearbox into 89 ae94 all trac wagom(sadly, auto)

So yea, picked up a gen 2 3sgte and a freshly rebuilt ct26 turbo... 450 bucks! It's a JDM import, I'm in the states. I've got the valve cover, intake, exhaust, oil pan off at the moment. Valves look ok, nothing's burnt on the exhaust side, intake valve seals have some black around them like they've been leaking, typical Toyota. There was a 1cm sliver of metal in the pan... My buddy says it looks like bearing, but who really knows. There wasn't any sparkle, it was just a lonesome piece. Nonetheless, it's getting taken apart. This is gonna be a somewhat slow process, as I'm paying as I go, taking my time and cleaning and painting(valve covers, front cover, etc.) it turned over smoothly and had compression so all good.

Questions:

Would you all recommend using the stock water to air intercooler? Seems cool, and the less cutting and modding the better.

The current exhaust manifold flange is not tilted back enough for the hot side of the turbo to mount and clear the block. The guy I bought from had a gen 3 that has the right mani. Where can I find it?

Primarily, where is the best source for good quality, affordable parts? Not eBay of course

Do I HAVE to use the rav4 driver side axle or will my stock ones work? This car is automatic btw, will I run into other problems? Prop shaft, etc. I know I have to install a clutch pedal and master cylinder.

I'm going to tackle the harness myself! Yes I know I know, but I'm a technician, and with the right pin outs and a lot of wire, I think I can handle it. Send me your reference material!

I still need a trans, preferably low mileage and doesn't need a rebuild.

Wants/needs. I'm daily driving this car until I have everything for the swap, so the more info, the better, I know at some point the two pieces need to come together. I mainly want it to stay somewhat stock, this is already a huge upgrade in horsepower, but I do have a bigger, basically new turbo, and I want to use it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well, have at it!

spacetrancex

Nice sleeper Corolla project. As for the intercooler, If you decide to stick to WTA IC, I have an st205 IC that Ill probably wont need. Let me know. Again, nice Corolla :)

Interwhat

Hi guys!

So I've got everything stripped down, and pressure washed. The blocks hi temp painted, head crystal clean, and valve cover gasket wrinkle black. Rod bearings look good, a little bit of wear on the cyl walls from piston skirts, so I think I'm going to keep the factory rods and bearings, re ring the pistons and call it a day. Chime in if you like but I'm not looking to make ridiculous power, so I think stock bottom end should be fine, just going to get new valve seals and springs and relap. Anybody got a good source for a quality gasket kit?

As for tuning, I think I'm going to pick up the mega squirt pnp g2 seeing as how it's now available for the gen 2 3sgte, but they haven't confirmed if they work with the JDM gen 2, so I may just pick up a USDm harness and I'd like to run without the afm. Really would like to talk to someone who has experience tuning this setup. I really want to do all this myself, as opposed to paying an "expert" to tune this at their ridiculous prices. Will post up some pictures later, but ipad makes posting pictures a pain in the ass.

Interwhat

Also I think I'm going to go je pistons. I need to go 86mm correct? Does ring gap need to be set manually? Or are they at where they need to be?

Interwhat

Little bit. I got factory bearings and piston rings. Gonna throw those in this week. Still need to find the right gasket set. And valve stem seals that aren't 8 bucks a piece but still quality.

Interwhat

Update: 3/14/2015

I'm at a standstill with the 3s rebuild. No luck with finding a plug n play bearung set. I'm holding off on continuing forward for a few reasons: my Corolla is an automatic, so I definitely need to find all the parts necessary to convert it, I really would rather have a parts roller for this instead of piecing together junkyard stuff from different cars, that's a lot of time spent on junk.

Realistically if there is a 88-91 celica Alltrac out there in bad shape but with a good my trans and transaxle, I would benefit from the clutch pedal, master cylinder, shifter, prop shaft etc... If anyone has any info or leads, pm me. I'm also part using all known Internet resources as well. Thanks!