ST205 Brake install on ST185

Redswan

So I recently installed the ST205 Brakes on my ST185 and wanted to dispel any myths about it. For this project I bought a set of used front and rear ST205 calipers and pads(~$600). The IS300 front rotors new from Autozone(~$80). The rear rotors from EBC; sourced overseas (~$275).
$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

FRONT: For the front the calipers need about 4mm cut off of the mounting brackets. The calipers are not threaded either so I had to use a wrench and some tape to hold the nut on while I tightened the caliper down to the hub. The IS300 rotors are 5x114 pattern so I used my 5x100 spacers as the guide for drilling the rotors. Once I got 2x opposing holes drilled I bolted them on to the rotors to better guide the drill. The bore on these rotors is 60.1mm and the ST185 is 54.1mm so I purchased an set of hub bore rings that I hammered in from the outside to center the rotors and prevent oscillation. Once drilled I found it is easiest to bolt the bottom caliper nut first and go through the dust shield for the top one. Bleed the brakes as normal and the front is done.

IS300 (290mm) vs ST185 (278mm)
15%2B-%2B1

15%2B-%2B1

REAR: For the rear there is no modification needed to the caliper or rotor as the ST205 is bolt on to the ST185. The only modification I had to do was bend back the dust shield as it touched the rotor. Once removal and reinstallation is complete, bleed the system as normal.

ST185 (285mm?) vs ST205 (315mm)
15%2B-%2B2

15%2B-%2B1

ESTIMATE: I would say from the seat of my pants feel on these that they are maybe 20% or less better than the ST185 brakes. They look pretty cool and feel more responsive at first touch than the ST185 ones. The overall stopping distance 30-0 and 60-0 seems shorter, but I really don’t have time to measure it out. Overall I'm happy with it and would do it again.

FC Zach

Awesome, thanks for the write up! I may try this.

Question: With that Lexus rotor, is there not a requirement for a spacer between the rotor/hub to allow lower ball joint clearance? If so I may go this route. Also, what year/s IS300 are the rotors from?

deecee

Good info. If possible, I would recommend showing the modification to the caliper mounting bracket. This is the key to positioning the caliper to the correct position, relative to the rotor offset.

EvanP246

Nice writeup! Can you use a larger rotor up front? Would a STI front brembo rotor work better since it's larger and already 5x100?

Redswan

FC Zach":gqo6spjf said:
Awesome, thanks for the write up! I may try this.

Question: With that Lexus rotor, is there not a requirement for a spacer between the rotor/hub to allow lower ball joint clearance? If so I may go this route. Also, what year/s IS300 are the rotors from?

IS300 2005ish? and something like this:

$_12.JPG

I bought an extra set of hub rings if you decide to do this.

Redswan

DeeCee":1v9bsttk said:
Good info. If possible, I would recommend showing the modification to the caliper mounting bracket. This is the key to positioning the caliper to the correct position, relative to the rotor offset.

I probably hould have done that before i mounted it. :doh: It was really just grinding it down on one side.

Redswan

EvanP246":1zu6wykx said:
Nice writeup! Can you use a larger rotor up front? Would a STI front brembo rotor work better since it's larger and already 5x100?

Sorry, I don't know. I didn't try that. I think if it was much bigger it would need an adapter.

CSAlltrac

You have my attention. Would you be willing to take a picture of you caliper mounted, close ups I mean. Showing what type of hardware you used and maybe where you ground of caliper material. Ive always liked the 205 caliper but everything floating around on them make it seam like its a ton of work.

Redswan

Sorry for not getting back to you Zach. I did have to bend the dust shields a little both front and rear. If you have any trouble with it I found that this thing called a BFH helps bend them.

FC Zach

Redswan":13et11fn said:
I did have to bend the dust shields a little both front and rear. If you have any trouble with it I found that this thing called a BFH helps bend them.

Ha Ha, You Funny