Remove a 185 gas tank and install a new fuel pump

awdmofo

Finally finishing up my project 185 restoration and going to drop the tank soon to clean it up and install a TT supra fuel pump. Looking for any help you can provide. I believe i would need to remove the fuel pump first, remove strap under the tank and then just let it come down? Also the gas tank has an unknown amount of gas that's been in there for 3.5-4 years, would it basically look like jello now?

awdmofo

So before I finish a full writeup on how to drop the fuel tank I need some guidance as to the removal of the 3 fuel lines. I have the straps off on the rear side, the tank is sitting on a jack with a 2x4 8-inch block of wood and I believe that once I get the lines off I can drop it down. I found this post from 13 years ago, with some pictures, but nothing showing which way is best to get the lines off. I have the wheel off and the filler fender well cover removed, and I can kind of see the metal line that this guy says is a 19mm and 14mm flare fitting.

grip-addict

View from the cavity where the tank sits.
The flare fitting only spins on the car side, not on the fuel tank side! Very important. This image shows the piece you need to rotate with the wrench. The other side sits static. I'll try to find another pic.

20200418_193014.jpg

grip-addict

20200418_155421.jpg
Tank side. Don't spin this like I did or you'll end up replacing the sender.

The other 2 hoses should just be held on with clamps iirc.

Did you get the filler neck freed up from the quarter panel? I always drop the neck with the tank.

awdmofo

View from the cavity where the tank sits.
The flare fitting only spins on the car side, not on the fuel tank side! Very important. This image shows the piece you need to rotate with the wrench. The other side sits static. I'll try to find another pic.

Tank side. Don't spin this like I did or you'll end up replacing the sender.

The other 2 hoses should just be held on with clamps iirc.

Did you get the filler neck freed up from the quarter panel? I always drop the neck with the tank.
Ok so i'll remove the nut on the car side while holding the tank side, got it! Good advice.

I got the filler neck freed up from the quarter panel and dropped the tank a few inches to see all what's going on. I'm afraid to drop it anymore for fear of stressing the lines or breaking something. The last pic is where I can sort of see where the hardline is towards the middle of the car, im just worried about space to get my tiny hands in there. Plus there are like a million dead spiders and egg sacks and webs in there. I cleaned it the best I could but I HATE SPIDERS! By the way, don't be mad, this vehicle has spent its entire life of 33 years in southern california and has basically zero rust on it :). Outside of the brakes as you can see from sitting for 7 years.

Attachments

• filler neck.jpg
    filler neck.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 7
  • lowering tank.jpg
    lowering tank.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 8
  • lowering tank2.jpg
    lowering tank2.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 8
  • tank lines.jpg
    tank lines.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

grip-addict

You should be able to get the tank down low enough where you can reach in from the wheel well to undo the fittings.
Though... By now you probably already figured that out.
If not, good luck!
I'm doing this job -again- in the spring. Will be the 4th time I've had to do it on different alltracs. Wish me luck!

awdmofo

Yea, I see it now. I got the metal clips off the rubber hoses closest to the tank. Tried separating them from the hard line and the tank started shifting. I figure they should come off last. So, just over the rear subframe I found the 14mm flare nut and the 19mm hardline. OMG its on there tight!! I'm going to get some PB blaster, thought I had a can at my place but i left it at my parents house 4 hours away :eek:(n). Needed some fast orange hand scrub anyways.

Good luck, these are a pain if you don't have a commercial lift like dealers do.

Attachments

• image000001 (11).jpg
    image000001 (11).jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 7

grip-addict

You can see the fuel feed line.in the corner of this photo. I don't have any better shots of it from the side, wish I did.

Attachments

• 20200517_223735.jpg
    20200517_223735.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

awdmofo

You can see the fuel feed line.in the corner of this photo. I don't have any better shots of it from the side, wish I did.
So yea, on the other side of that fuel line toward the front of the car is another flarenut fitting just like the one in your photo. I can get to the one im taking about, the one you show i'd have to lower the tank a lot to just be able to reach it.

Wait, so you're saying the 19mm side of the line is what spins not the 14mm?

grip-addict

The 14mm definitely doesn't spin. Take a look at my first photo, that's the actual fuel pump sender. The 14mm is a direct hard-line on that sender and it's soldered/brazed/somethinged onto the line and definitely stays static.

The nut that is still on the car in my photos is the one you need to rotate to get the line to disconnect. I recommend line wrenches if at all possible. If you're having issues loosening the nut, besides the obv penetrant oil, try using a squeezing motion with your hand while you hold both wrenches. You'd want to start with both wrenches almost parallel and barely offset. It's much easier to close one hand over a pair of wrenches and bring them together than use 2 hands on 2 wrenches that are 90* apart or similar.

awdmofo

So after the holidays I finally got time to lower the tank a little more and get in there. What are line wrenches? Started to try and loosen that 19mm nut and it started to bend the fuel line. You can see where I'm talking about where I pointed to the kink in the line. Not much room to move around in there, do you think I can lower the tank anymore? I'm at the point I want to cut the line and see about custom steel braided lines to make this easier for me if I have to drop the tank ever again. You think that is an option?

Attachments

• image000000 (28).jpg
    image000000 (28).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image000001 (12).jpg
    image000001 (12).jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 3

awdmofo

GRIP! you were 100% correct, the 19mm nut is the one that moves and I picked up some flare nut wrenches which helped a ton! Also, lowered the tank pretty low to reach everything. I also removed the filler neck, came off super easy and made it easier to see and reach everything. Im going to do a full "How to write up" with pics, maybe we can work on it together before the final draft is ready to post.

Attachments

• image000002 (6).jpg
    image000002 (6).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image000001 (13).jpg
    image000001 (13).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image000000 (29).jpg
    image000000 (29).jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 5

grip-addict

Glad you got it done! That's great. That section you're pointing at, I think that's a flexible line, isn't it? I wouldn't worry unless you can feel a kink in there.
Nice job getting it done without wrecking the fuel pump sender.