Fuel Tank Rally Shield

Roreri

My GT-Four came with an aluminum fuel tank shield. The previous owner installed this piece of spiff and put a TTE sticker on it--who knows who fabbed it. It could have been anyone.

Undertank Rally Shield.JPG
It weighs a bit, maybe four pounds, so there's that, but when I set about preparing to do a fuel tank drop in anticipation of replacing a fuel pump, I was greeted with unrotted nuts and bolts and a generally wholesome if dusty situation behind it. You can decide for yourself whether a bit of underbody protection is for you. I consider myself well served by the previous owner who installed this.

Fabbing one would be a reasonably simple job. It would require a 25" x 37.5" sheet of .0625" aluminum. You would need a metal brake and the ability to weld aluminum--or that could be worked around with rivets. Here are some photos with some tape measures:

Undertank Rally Shield Top View.JPG
Undertank Rally Shield Side View.JPG
It's secured to the car by means of a couple of straps, which are just added on under the nuts that secure the tank strap.

Roreri

Just so! Good find. I'd seen that before at some point. I guess these guys have been in business making these for a while, because the one I have is pretty old looking.

Interesting piece. It looks like it protects more than the tank. Our ST185's came with a plastic cover under the fuel tank to protect the tank. But I don't think it protects more than the tank, such as fasteners from rusting.

Roreri

It doesn't really protect more than the tank. It kept the straps from getting all rotted and corroded, if that was going to be an issue.