ST205 swap questions

simple

I'm close to done with my ST165 to ST205 swap but hitting some roadblocks. Biggest one now is throttle cable.

I tried to use the stock ST165 throttle cable and the throw is too short. I got a ST205 throttle cable and had to use the ST165 pedal, it is still too short. At least it connects now but the cable is not resting at idle. I've adjusted the nuts for more length but doesn't seem to be enough. Anyone solve this issue with their car?

I'll have more questions I'm sure.

zaluss

Interesting. On my 205 swap, I used the 165 throttle cable and I had to use a couple of hose clamps to change the position. My current position feels perfect to me and the throttle response is excellent.

CqUlYAvh.png

Tippo

I'm pretty sure Tecker185 did this before. He still lurks here, so maybe he can chime in. Iirc, it should fit length wise but you need to mod the bumper location

simple

I'm going to try to bend the tab that the pedal rests on in the interior. The bracket in the engine is the correct location for the throttle cable as they are both from the ST205

Ok next question. One of my shifter cables is slightly too long. ST205 transmission and ST165 shifter cables. Anyone make an adjustment to the tab location? It's the cable on the left of the shifter not the right one that connects to the main shifter rod. I have the ST205 cables but wonder if that would not work with the ST165 shifter location.

simple

Yeah I'm beating my knuckles on this ST205 shifter issue. The St165 cable just doesn't work with the ST205. The throw is wrong. Why is this never discussed? Seems the MR2 crowd has adjustable cables from MR2Heaven. I hope to not need those. Wish I had figured this out before installing the engine. I just assumed the ST165 cables would work and the ST205 cables visually looked short. I had some ST202 cables at one point but tossed them. Wish Toyota used adjustable from the factory.

simple

Tecker185":2iimed7o said:
Ive done this swap into two st165’s and always used the st165 shift cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok how about the cable mount at the transmission? ST205 or swap over the mount from the ST165? How about the selecting bellcrank?

Tecker185

I didn’t swap anything over when I did it. Its a strong possibility that your cables have stretched causing the throw to be off. Ive had that problem in the past. I heated the end of the shifter where the cable connects and bent it in the direction needed for more throw. Make sure your sugar cube isn’t worn that will effect throw as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simple

Thanks! So strange! I checked the cube today. I attempted to swap selecting bellcranks but the cube is different and didn't align at the trans.

I wish there was a spacer I could use.

simple

Ok back on this frustrating project.

How do I fix this shifter issue? In the photo the cable is pinned at both the shifter side and the transmission side. Cable at shifter is hooked up but not at the transmission. Shifter at neutral and transmission at neutral.

Why is the cable clocking about 1 inch off? The mount is the same on both the St165 and the new ST205 transmission so I know it wasn't adjusted 1 inch.

How do I adjust this? The cables have no adjustment. The mounts are factory set. The pin head needs to be 1 inch further? I can't adjust that so do I need to make a custom extension and weld it on?

I'm totally lost here

cbef1fd36128d37fc1d0e1579c6c5037.jpg

simple

Its in the slot and with the slide pin in on both sides. I've taken off and reconnected a few times to make sure alignment good and cable moves freely.

zaluss

simple":1g917b3j said:
Ok back on this frustrating project.

How do I fix this shifter issue? In the photo the cable is pinned at both the shifter side and the transmission side. Cable at shifter is hooked up but not at the transmission. Shifter at neutral and transmission at neutral.

Why is the cable clocking about 1 inch off? The mount is the same on both the St165 and the new ST205 transmission so I know it wasn't adjusted 1 inch.

How do I adjust this? The cables have no adjustment. The mounts are factory set. The pin head needs to be 1 inch further? I can't adjust that so do I need to make a custom extension and weld it on?

I'm totally lost here

Just based on the picture, I'm going to say that your shifter may be in the wrong position relative to your transmission. Here is a picture from my swap from several years ago. Note the compression of the shift linkage boot.

Z3SKCO3l.jpg

underscore

maybe a dumb question, but is there any chance you have the cables swapped at one end or the other (or both?)

simple

underscore":33fioahe said:
maybe a dumb question, but is there any chance you have the cables swapped at one end or the other (or both?)
Nope the cables can't be swapped they have different end types at the shifter.

Someone help me verify at the transmission. One moves the plunger and one moves the lever back and forth. I have the cable on the side of the shifter going to the plunger. The cable that goes to the bottom of the shifter rod goes to the lever.

underscore

Looking at Project Binky quickly the cable coming through on the left (facing the firewall from the front of the car) goes to the side-side arm on the trans (actually into gears) and the one that comes through on the right goes to the front-rear arm on the trans.

simple

Well I finally got another set of shift stock St165 cables to utilize! Grabbed some new bushings from prime/racerX.

Expensive solution but hey it's gonna be nice to get past this issue

cf256dffe68838743faf72e16518cae0.jpg