T-vis gone bad, engine damaged

Gert

grip-addict":2kyoxxz1 said:
I had a gt2860r on my red alltrac and I have a gtx2860 on my white one.
Needless to say... I think the turbo line is really great for street/autox cars.
IMO it's excellent that nixspeed put the garret supercore onto a ct26 turbine housing since you get the best of both worlds - reuse downpipes intercooler setup etc but get the more-modern facets that come along with the newer turbos.

Plus, they spool very quickly and have a bit more performance headroom than the ct series.
At first sight, it looks good, those GTX series. But hey, that CT27 from ATS looked good too.

Do you have a bit more info about the differences since you have experience with multiple turbos?

ATS did modify the turbinehousing a little. What about this Nixspeed turbo's?

grip-addict

I cant' speak to the NIXspeed stuff but I can offer input from my experiences with the platform.
I was running the gt2860r at the same time a friend at a ct20b... both gen 2 3sgte's. Power levels were very similar and drivability also so. I think my turbo spooled a bit faster than his though, I could get a few psi in neutral just free-revving it. I made 280 awhp at 18 psi but normally kept it at 16 for the usual driving and was really enjoyable.

I haven't had a chance to really push the gtx2860 yet but a difference is that I DID have to port the turbine housing due to overboost. I guess it's a known issue with the gen3 3s that I just found out the hard way :). I'm using literally the same turbine housing that I had on the gt2860r... so .63 ar for both. I don't think you'll have that issue with the ct26 turbine housing since (I THINK) it's bigger than .63 ar but also it for sure has a much larger wastegate port.

Differences between the gt and gtx series can mostly just be observed in the compressor maps. The gtx comp wheel is billet and let's you stay in the sweet spot of the efficiency island for much longer.

Any other questions and I'm happy to answer. g25-550's where out when I bought the gtx... but the g25 line is all v-band and I wasn't as comfy with my fab skills as I am now. I wanted to reuse all of my old gt-series manifold adapters, downpipe, etc.

Gert

Well, since the CT26 and the 3S motors are not common anymore in Holland, I feared how my CT27 should be repaired. But, guess what, about 40 kms from my place there is a guy who rebuilds hybrid turbo's and is having an closet full off CT26 stuff.

So, he rebuilded my CT27. Everything was damaged, the axle, compressor wheel, turbinewheel, bearings, seals and bearing house.
In fact, what I have now is: the 'old' compressor- and turbinehousing and the rest is all new.

Really amazing how bad this CT27 was.
My rebuilder suspects that the CT27 builder did not use good materials and/or did not clean it good enough.

When I find the time, I will add some close-up pictures.

Finally, it put me back for 600 euro, parts only. Dunno about the labour costs.

Gert

Car is running with fresh turbo:

GT401.jpg

GT402.jpg

Took some pics off the CT27 damage. I will add them later.

Gert

Now, some pics off the CT27. First a pic of the bearinghouse and stuff together and later close up pics. Keep in mind, this turbo has run about 2½ years and about 17.500 kms in the car, with an max boost off 1,0 bar.

Overall:

CT2701.jpg

Crack:

CT2702.jpg

Damage in the center:

CT2703.jpg

Compressorwheel with damage due to maximum axial play/slack:

CT2704.jpg

CT2705.jpg

Turbinewheel with damage at the back, also due to maximal axial play/slack:

CT2706.jpg

CT2707.jpg

Anyway, before this I had an PT upgraded T04E for 18 years and more than 100.000 kms, without any problems.

My rebuilder claims that he now has rebuilded the CT27 with better parts. We will see :wink:

Gert

For those off you who are curious what ATS is doing with the CT26 turbinehousing, well they make the small area where the hot air enters the turbinewheel a bit wider.
Probably not bad, since the CT26 is having pretty much turbine (back) pressure. This mod with the bigger billet compressor wheel can be a good combo. But it would be nice if ATS stood a bit more behind their product.

Anyway: lesson learned.

CT27turbinehouse.jpg

Gert

At the moment an really irritating rattle is coming from the dash. I tried everything, removed lots off parts and went driving. But the rattle is coming somewhere exact in the middle, near to the windscreen.

Probably something came loose there.

So, yesterday I did bite the bullet and started removing the top dash pad... *sigh*. A man has got to do what a man has got to do.... :shoots:
Not difficult, but time consuming.

alltracman78

Oh god, that's a project.

Still, not even close to the worst dash to remove. It's all relative. :p

Many years ago I had a CT27 built by ATS. Took forever to get back to me and felt absolutely no different (butt dyno). I always wondered if they even did anything to it. :shrug:

Gert

Drove around without dash = no rattle.
Installed dashpad = rattel back.
Let engine idle and removed dash again = still rattle... *sigh*.

Perhaps under the wiper system?

To be continued.

Gert

Well, finally, I think, I found the cause off the rattle.
Removed the wipers and cowl, but nothing wrong there. Clean too. :)

So, perhaps something under the hood? Since this is my project car, I drove with different setups, like stock ignition, wasted spark and coppers.
Well, at the moment I drive with stock ignition, hmmm, oh my ... the wiring and connectors for the coppers are still present but are laying useless somewhere in the engine bay. So I taped and tie-wrapped this connector loom rattle free in the engine bay and hey, rattle gone ..... *sigh*.

It appears that this connector(s) were rattling against the fire wall. In the end, actually an two minute job :bangshead:

Time now to rebuild the car.

Gert

Discovered an fuel leak. Only with cold engine and when the fuel pump primes the fuel system, fuel was pooring out of the hose at the connection with the feulrail (to fuel pressure regulator).
Installed an new hose and clamps and problem solved.

But!!! I saw that the rubber throttle intake adapter had an tear. Tried to glue it but better is a new part 17861-88382.
Unfortunately, not available anymore.

I saw at gt4play.uk they carry an aftermarket unit:
https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/throttle-bo ... er-coupler

I think I am going to order this one. Opinions anyone?

Roreri

GT-Four Play is solid. You can probably count on it, even though expensive. But then again what isn’t for these?

Tippo

Gert":2zyi5gop said:
Discovered an fuel leak. Only with cold engine and when the fuel pump primes the fuel system, fuel was pooring out of the hose at the connection with the feulrail (to fuel pressure regulator).
Installed an new hose and clamps and problem solved.

But!!! I saw that the rubber throttle intake adapter had an tear. Tried to glue it but better is a new part 17861-88382.
Unfortunately, not available anymore.

I saw at gt4play.uk they carry an aftermarket unit:
https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/throttle-bo ... er-coupler

I think I am going to order this one. Opinions anyone?

Gotten plenty of items from gt4-play. They're overseas but stuff ships pretty quick from them considering.