T-vis gone bad, engine damaged

Gert

As always, another challenge.

Finally found me some time to attack some problems.
First the ERL water injection is having a leak. Found the leak, contacted ERL and now waiting for response.
Very old part, probably not available anymore.

Than the intercooler adapter. Well, the gt4play one is having an 60 mm (actually it is 63 mm) intake and the intercooler is having an 50 mm outlet. *Sigh*
So I have to fix and fit the gt4play adapter or I have to fix the stock intercooler outlet or I can try to get me an new build intercooler.
Ordered an silicon reducer, everywhere available, but when I took an close look, the intercooler outlet is not exactly lined up with the throttle body intake (??). In the 27 years I own this car, I never noticed this!

All this, not easy in Holland, since these cars become very rare now.

Keep you posted.

grip-addict

What about finding a 5mm thick silicon coupler and cutting it up and putting it between the throttle inlet and intercooler outlet?

Gert

Well, finding an custom air/air intercooler is an challenge too. Perhaps find me an local company who can build one. This intercooler on my car is 30 years old now.

Tried to fit the GT4play adapter, but that needs some grinding and adjusting. Grinded the washers from the throttle body bracket too. Throttle body and adapter are 60mm.
Now it fits:

TB01.JPG

Discovered that the stock intercooler is not lined perfect with the throttle body, new for me:

TB02.JPG

TB03.JPG

Awfull litte space between GT4play adapter and intercooler.

TB05.JPG

Ordered an silicon reducer and try to make that fit, otherwise, and better, find me someone who can remove the 50 mm outlet and weld an 60mm intercooler outlet in perfect fit with the throttle body.

Gert

After some cutting and pasting I was able to make an silicon reducer ready to fit:

TB06.JPG

TB07.JPG

TB08.JPG

TB09.JPG

The best thing to do is modify an stock intercooler with an 60 mm outlet. I will contact Abean and see if he is willing to ship to Holland.

Now I have to wait for response from ERL Aquamist. The valve is leaking and I need new seals, but pretty neat stuff. I do have an box with several rubber seals, but no one fits.

ERL%20solenoid02.JPG

Gert

Strange enough ERL aquamist is not responding very well, too bad. In the past I had never issues with them.

Anyway, at an local motorbike shop I was able to find me some replacement seals and after installing and pressurizing the system (about 10 bar!) the valve is not leaking anymore.
So, another problem solved.
Let's hope that it is working for another 20 years. :)

Gert

Finally, I got mail from ERL: if the system is going down, no parts available anymore, buy new... *sigh*.

Ofcourse an new problem occured. The filler pipe is rusted. Wholes in the pipe and the plate is very bad. Another challenge.
Only the gasket is deliverable. :)

Gert

Guess what, fuel filler pipe is back. Dunno the costs and dunno if/how it fits, but the first impression is good:

vulpijp01.JPG

vulpijp02.JPG

vulpijp03.JPG

vulpijp04.JPG

Bend is stainless steel now.

88gt4DE

:shock: :notworthy:
Gert":2g0izhg3 said:
Guess what, fuel filler pipe is back. Dunno the costs and dunno if/how it fits, but the first impression is good:

vulpijp01.JPG

vulpijp02.JPG

vulpijp03.JPG

vulpijp04.JPG

Bend is stainless steel now.

Gert

Well, as you can see, in stock form, the fuel pipe is having some kind off valve/door at the end off the pipe tankside.
Dunno why, but something went wrong with this part and results are that the car is impossible to fill up.
If I say: impossible, I mean impossible. It took me ten minutes to fill her with about 10 liters off fuel and half off it spoiled on the floor.... *sigh*

So, the pipe must be removed again and get rid off that litte door.

vulpijp04.JPG

BTW, outlining the pipe itself was an challenge too. First the pipe was under big tension, so the gasket did not seal. Required some tweaking too.

To be continued.

underscore

Is that the flap so it doesn't leak if the car rolls over? Perhaps it was damaged by the heat of the welding?

Gert

Unfortunately the flange with rubber seal is not able to prevent the tank from fuel leaking.

Filled her up yesterday, all good, but today the tank started dripping fuel.... *sigh*.

So, I need to find me a new tank, or repair this one.

Roreri

AllTrac ownership.

Old Dude.jpg
Does it not leak if you only fill it to 3/4 tank? Not the best and not a cure, but you're clearly in a "which dressing do you want on your shit sandwich?" situation until a solution presents.

simple

It's what I do with the old land cruiser. Fill up to only 3/4 tank. Otherwise the garage smells like gasoline.

Gert

Finally the tank is ready. They removed the tank. Took it to an rebuild shop and they cleaned the tank and repaired where rust came through and repainted it.
Let's hope all is good now. Rebuilding the tank made an whole in my wallet off 1.000 euro's....
Bill for the filling pipe has yet to come.

Now the vacations are present, so the shop where the car is sleeping is getting closed for two weeks. Sigh. Stay tuned.

Forgot to take pictures. :doh:

Gert

Due to vacations, finally got the car back yesterday. Fresh fueltank and rebuilded filler pipe now.
Filled her up with 20 liters off gas and drove around. No fuel smell now. Filling her up soon, fingers crossed.

The fuel gauge did not show any movement first... *sigh*.. but after some turns, she woke up. Better... :)