Why the hell....(Part Deux)

gt4tified

1) Does the JDM speedometer only read to 180km/h when the car is capable of much more than that? Dumb speed cut.

2) Why did some idiot at the design factory think it was soooo much cheaper to put in screws instead of torqued alan bolts to hold down the valve cover?

Meurz

Cause in Japan cars are (used to be?) limited to 180 kmh by law. It's JDM y0! :twisted: My CS speedo goes to 260 kmh.

gt4tified

So what would be the implications if I put on a JDM RC tranny? Would that mess up with my speedometer, ie, show a different reading than what the car is actually doing (without changing the cluster)?

maxaud

mine says 180kmh, and sopposedly there is a limiter at 110mph but I've had it past that on a few occasions... the needle was straight down and I wasn't hitting any type of cuts.

JDM-GT4

Thats right, cars are governed to 180 in Japan. My spedo only goes to 180, and have had it to 160 so far. It's probably governed by the ECU so to get around it you would need to swap ECU's or get a standalone. My car even struggles to redline, it's easy to get up to around 5-5 1/2 but the exhaust is too restictive (Japan also has very harsh emmision laws) Those are 2 things that I would love to change.

:) Katie

well either they dont have speed cuts on them or my ecu pins ben cut cos ive had mine upto the M in KM/H on my 180k speedo..its about 220...thort i beter slow down cos the starlet i was racing was miles behind haha

gt4tified

ST185 GT-FOUR":15oyw3iz said:
well either they dont have speed cuts on them or my ecu pins ben cut cos ive had mine upto the M in KM/H on my 180k speedo..its about 220...thort i beter slow down cos the starlet i was racing was miles behind haha

Is your trac JDM or one that was imported by the dealership?

coyoteboy

IIRC it was only the JDMs that were limited to that? Ive had my UK (with JDM transmission) soaring past 220 no problems.

trialsmaster2

My JDM ST165 has also made it a little past 180 kph (while speed dinging like crazy) uphill on the way to work in the morning. I had it back to my usual 10 kph over the speed limit after that (only a 90 kph speed limit). :)

$200GT-4

Emissions laws aren't crap here in Japan. They're far worse in the states. Why do you think OBDII never really caught on here in Japan? Not to mention the fact that JDM engines always put out more than USDM engines. No, it's not all due to the hi oku gas they have over here, often times even the camshafts are different even on economy engines. /rant

Sal

My friends WRX's speedo goes up to 180 and has gone way past that. Does not mean anything bro.

gt4tified

Well then it may be something of the mr2 nature since my current engine and ecu are the rev2 genIi 3sgte from a SW20 mr2 turbo. I have hit the speed cut at 185km/h recently with the engine not pulling timing, at 12psi on a night run racing a 2008 Honda Accord (blew past him at around 176km/h.....I guess Honda don't learn that VTEC can't cut it anymore). I know it was speed cut cuz I was nowhere near fuel/boost cut plus the engine did not throw any codes and the sec. I dropped below 180km/h I had full power again.

Speed cut felt like someone just cut the fuel pump on the car.....giving the engine gas but speed/power just cuts on you.