Fill me in, Wanting to do an st205 swap on an all trac, info

Hi. I have try searching and still searching (post can come up with 2000+ post for st205 swap). Any quick link and facts that you know can really help me build of info. I am coming to a closed with my mr2 gen2 motor, nothing else to really do with motor (two things the motor didn't get due to time on the west coast, new exhuast manifold and it was not a stroker). Being in wisconsin it will be garaged almost all it's life that it is there (time to work on body, kits, brake, engine dress up, etc).

I was going to get an st165 from texas but wife said nope! She needed a car more than my new toy. It's ok, I will wait and get me an all trac later. That way we both still be happy in the end right :)

I know most of these car are in not the best shape (same with mr2) but I need a all year round car. I have looked into getting a mk1, ae86 (y? just get an mk1), civic hatch (can do winter driving) or an all trac (best of both worls!) :)

I am looking to wanting to do a st205 in a st185. I have a year to find bits and piece plus gaining knowledge on what is needed. Most likely sticking with a st205 a2w setup again vs a fmic. I am planning to keep the stock ecu or just an upgrade sard, blitz, or greddy for higher boost and no speed cut. Nothing fancy with the all trac. Just want a swap relaiblity motor with stock ecu over 300whp with basic bolt on. Drive it year round still spanking ricer. Also thinking about stripping the whole interoir with a cage trying to get it light as possible. I don't have kids and I have a toyota camry that is still going to pull 250k on the motor :)

I am not looking to a 350whp+ car. I have a mr2 hitting those number and it cost too much money!!!

Any info will be helpful. I have never owned a 4wd. I have looked into an sti. Too much money that I would rather just do a build and progress as time and money permits. I want to start it as a daily to tracking it vs my mr2 due to extensive motor work already done to it. Thanks.

SuperWhite92

The ST205 into ST185 swap isn't particularly difficult, provided you have everything you need- basically you need a complete half-cut to get the 3rd gens sensors, as well as the intercooler piping and heat exchanger. Beyond that, it's not much more than a long wiring job using diagrams that can be found around this site.

Hi. So I found a nice shell. It's at a shop. Clean. Haven't seen pictures of the inside yet. Well, can get a clip a st205 for 2300 (I could had swear this was what he said). Shipping it home to Chicago is 1000 already. Installing it is only 2000. So I can pay 2000 for shipping both the car and clip home and end up doing labor myself. Or he can install 2000 and drive home. Save me headache and stuff. It's a track prep car. Outside looks very clean, I didn't see anything I don't like forset for a bunch of stickers. Waiting on pictures of the inside. The whole car with a blown motor is 1500. Still have the st165 inside with a2w setup also. Can still sell the tranny, a2w setup, even the st205 a2w setup and alot more stuff along. Go front mount??? I probably like the a2w setup better as it is less piping.

Stuff looking to do while the motor is out.

New head gasket
All new belt
Cam Gear and Cam Shaft, Oh yea, stragger cams this time, didn't get to do this to the mr2
New Clutch
LSD??? Hope it comes with the clip??? Try googling for an lsd, not much
Stock ECU or maybe PowerFC??? Just sold powerfc and datalogit, NVM this, cost is almost as much a full standalone, actually I can use the ems on my mr2 as it has a pnp harness for the a gen2, just get new sensor, a very nice EMS, not sure, stock ecu daily abuse is probably better, never ever even drove a 3sgte with stock ecu
EBC
TT
Boost, speed, fuel cut, etc.

Stuff to do when it gets home.
Strip the whole interior and everything not needed
Paint the interior (do care, all year beater)
Paint exterior (do care, all year beater, practic makes perfect)
AutoPower Roll Bar
Cheap seat
ST185 Coilovers depending on whats there
Upgrade Brakes.
3" DP
Full 3" exhaust

What are some thing I need to know about upgrading to st185/205 brakes? I know you need custom brackets.

I think is would be good for a all year round car at about 300awhp with stock ecu. I think it is better than buying a fix up as these cars are old. St185 in good condition still sit at a high price still. Weight wise, I was comparing they both weight about the same. Campared it with a dsm and about the same. Yes I thought of a DSM but prices are at all trac level.

Just a run down. Goal, sleeper. Might X-out the 3" Dp and exhuast to 2.5"

saved_1992":q1ffcwir said:
if you are interested in a 205 powered 165 pm me

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Thanks. Found a shell already. Althought that ek6 and big brake looks good :). I am running a Vi-pec on my mr2 and thinking of just sharing the EMS as I don't drive the MR2 much. I will let you know on the big brake. We talked and I just got to make sure he is willing to go down the line with this 1st before I start picking up stuff.