185 Scoop Vs RC Vent Size Comparison [pics]

athousandleaves

Not sure if anyone else has had the opportunity to see these two hood bits side by side but irl the RC vent is MASSIVE compared to the 185 scoop...

t0rkia.jpg

Pardon the lousy phone picture for now... I'll be taking some better pictures later; possibly on a 205 hood for another visual comparison.

deecee

normal intake vent is to direct air to A2A, the exhaust vent of the RC is to let air out of the bay. Makes sense that venting out is larger to decrease air pressure in bay.

gt4tified

DeeCee":1u51m5kc said:
normal intake vent is to direct air to A2A, the exhaust vent of the RC is to let air out of the bay. Makes sense that venting out is larger to decrease air pressure in bay.

In other words, they have completely different functions hence the completely different sized openings. :wink:

klue

gt4tified":1ln445jl said:
DeeCee":1ln445jl said:

In other words, they have completely different functions hence the completely different sized openings. :wink:

:eek:wned:

celicat93

My understanding is that the scoop was the original design from the factory and found desperately wanting by TTE/Sainz in their testing for use in the WRC circuit; too much heat build up in the engine bay. So they designed the CS/RC bumper and hood configuration to go with a WTA IC for dramatic results. It's been known that an air intake scoop is highly ineffective at producing airflow for decades, the positive air pressure does not allow for much flow at all, it was found as far back as the 60's (I believe. Okay, I found an article that states that the design goes back as far as 1910!) that a hood cowl was much more effective at drawing air in to cool the engine bay. Now that I think about it, I'd be interested to see how a cowl induction hood would work on an AT. :D

http://www.ehow.com/about_5571485_pros-cowl-induction-race-hood.html

camaro_cowl_induction1240972948.jpg