Reliability of GT4?

TylerGT4

Im looking to buy a 92 GT4 with 200000 kms on it and wondering how reliable are these cars for all year round use? What is prone to go on these cars? I know it has the 3GSTE like the MR2 and how long can these engines go for with proper maintenance? Also any things should i look specifically at the car to find if it is not so good?

TylerGT4":18yosyuh said:
Im looking to buy a 92 GT4 with 200000 kms on it and wondering how reliable are these cars for all year round use? What is prone to go on these cars? I know it has the 3GSTE like the MR2 and how long can these engines go for with proper maintenance? Also any things should i look specifically at the car to find if it is not so good?

You keep up with regular maintenance and not abusing the car, it should last you forever, okay okay maybe not forever but.....124274.2 miles is not much, my MR2 right now is over 220,000 Miles on original motor (never rebuilt) and still pulling strong....

underscore

my 4g GT-S went well over 470xxx, my 5g GT-S is at 312xxx and my RC is at 185xxx with perfect compression. The best thing to do is to take it to a shop that is knowledgeable about the Alltrac and have them look it over, then make sure you handle as much neglected maintenance as you can right away.

Texasnick

Well, being a 185 you won't have to worry about replacing the damn superstrut arms, so that's a plus.

Engine-wise, my 205 has been VERY reliable (knock on wood). Got it at around 83,000 km almost 2 years ago and now I'm at around 140,000 with just regular maintenance.

Take a look here for some insight in what to look for when you're test driving one.....

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/

Keep in mind though it's an older car so you're probably going to want to keep an eye on things a bit more than you would buying something newer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the most common major issue on 2g 3sgte's is headgasket failure.

Caconman424

I got mine from a previous abusive owner who beat the tar out of it and never ever maintained it, so i cant say to much, but even in the piss poor condition it's in, it's still limping along. But limping, and nothing more.

jerod

I have a 91 GT4 RC.The previous owner ratbag the crap out of it and took off the Castrol stickers because he thought it was a heatscore :bangshead: .I argee,POWERSTEERING ISSUES!!!! :shoots: :pissed: Other than that,i should have gone this route than going the honda way.Even though hondas r reliable,they dont kick ass like a GT4 :notworthy:

underscore

Castrol stickers? Is it black and did it comes with Tiens, a Bee*R rev limiter and HKS exhaust?

Also if you want a GTFour and full reliability, buy a GTFour and a GT-S in the same colour, I kid you not almost noone can tell them apart (sadly)

jerod

yeah castrol stickers,the car is white with the red and green stickers on it.I have the 15 inch oz rims(not the ones that u have underscore)and the air duct on the roof was removed and fiberglassed in as was the stickers removed.I sorta wished he didnt take the stickers off. But on topic the only thing i had to do on my gt4 was the wheel bearings (all 4) and the washer trick for the crossmember to clear the exhaust.