KAAZ clutch type LSD rears? only 2 Cusco Rear LSD left

I would a Kaaz diff

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jas3113

Acutally, I beleive they will still make it als long as they have the data already it would be easy for them to do so. If they didn't have any info that's when it will cost alot.

Cost wise, a torsen will be more expensive and given enough power they can still break.

I may purchase a Kaaz or Cusco front MR2 LSD to see if it will be able to fit it into the AT trans.

John

CMS-GT4

I think I would try and locate and borrow a regualr mr2 diff just for fitment, and then once you have everything established you can get ahold of a nice lsd. Best to be sure so you don't risk too much just in case you run into any unexpected problems.

Just keep us posted on your progress. I am sure a lot of other alltrac owners would like to get in on this, if there is an easy front lsd option. wonder if one could switch out the front lsd w/o dropping the gearbox.

jas3113

John, I'll call on monday for the MR2.

Cusco has three LSD for ST185 left. They are rear only. The cost to you is 1237.62 and we could EMS it from Japan, probably $200 for all three if you have two guys that are interested still. Let me know!

Al

This is the reply I got from my contact on the Cusco LSD.

There will be only 2 available since I will be picking up 1.

Anyone interested please let me know. If there is anyone local in MA their shop is located there and do some seriously kick ass work.

www.dentsport.com

Regards.
John

jas3113

CMS-GT4":274uk89h said:
I think I would try and locate and borrow a regualr mr2 diff just for fitment, and then once you have everything established you can get ahold of a nice lsd. Best to be sure so you don't risk too much just in case you run into any unexpected problems.

Just keep us posted on your progress. I am sure a lot of other alltrac owners would like to get in on this, if there is an easy front lsd option. wonder if one could switch out the front lsd w/o dropping the gearbox.

i did a little more research and I'll be picking up a Cusco or Kaaz front diff.

Based on Quaife the front diff on the AT are the same part number as the MR2's SW20 with a 3sgte and 4Agze, Toyota solaras and Scion TC's.

John

acylon

First, you should edit your post, Left is the LSD, Right is non-lsd.
We really need to assemble all this info into one easy to read page.

I am playing with the idea of putting an all trac transfer case onto a MR2 box. Or Taking the guts of MR2 and putting into AT box.
Here is my thinking. Low final drive, good gearing, LSD, Triple syncros. I have a st165 box just need a donor MR2 box.

What did you pay for the front cusco?

CMS-GT4

Edited.

As for the idea of an mr2 box on the alltrac TC. We kicked that idea around on here a couple years ago. One said it will fit, but you will need to do some slight modification to make it work.

On a note of final drive. sw20 and st185 final drives are the same.

jas3113

CMS-GT4":1uj2cq09 said:
Edited.

As for the idea of an mr2 box on the alltrac TC. We kicked that idea around on here a couple years ago. One said it will fit, but you will need to do some slight modification to make it work.

On a note of final drive. sw20 and st185 final drives are the same.

Which trans would be a better pick, an ST185 CS/RC or ST205?

The ST205 have a 4.2 final drive and the ST185 has a 3.9 final drive.

I am thinking of picking a trans from Fensport since I have not heard of any shops in the states rebuild the stock trans into race trans.

Thanks!

John

CMS-GT4

Fensport sells new 205 boxes w/o transfer case for 1,200 pounds. The shipping will kill you though.

I would take a 205 box over a RC box anyday. I still prefer the ratios of my 92 alltrac box over my rc box.

jas3113

CMS-GT4":2ogn8pon said:
Fensport sells new 205 boxes w/o transfer case for 1,200 pounds. The shipping will kill you though.

I would take a 205 box over a RC box anyday. I still prefer the ratios of my 92 alltrac box over my rc box.

Thanks!! It'll actually be cheaper then having my DSM trans rebuilt raced ready, $2500.

Yeah I'll have my forwarder ship it via ocean, probably cost about $2-300.

Another question does the ST205 come standard with a front LSD?

John

CMS-GT4

If it did, I did not find any parts listed in the EPC. Same part numbers front front and center diff on RC and 205 models.

dave

So, did any of you get a Cusco or Kaaz rear LSD?

If so, how do you like it?

I'm thinking of buying a Cusco one as I blew the internals of my rear LSD on the 205 apart at the weekend and I need something stronger :)

CMS-GT4

I think most here don't have the extra cash for a cusco lsd. I am trying to contact a TRD sponsor and maybe get a hold of a trd lsd that has been out of production.

They were around 750usd new.

On that note, most people here upgrade to the 205/CS rear units.

dave

Yeah, it was one of them that I blew up though :)

I'm looking at around £750 delivered from Fensport, but as the Cusco seems the only viable upgrade from a 205 diff, that I can get hold off fairly easily, it's probably the way to go

I could get another 205 diff but I know Adrian at Fensport has killed a number of them, and although he has a couple hundred hp more than me, I seem to be in the diff killing range for drag launches, so it might not last as long as I'd like

Oh well thanks anyway, and if anyone does have any experience of the Cusco, please add a note :) Ta

CMS-GT4

Can you tell me how you trd lsd compared to the stock unit?

Is it a clutch pack? There isn't much info on these.

I myself am concidering cusco, but I have not seen them for less then 900usd.

CodingParadox

How much work is required to install the cusco unit? I have 900$ to drop on one, I just want to make sure it doesn't require a ton of machining or something to make it work. Is it simply drop-in to the existing diff and go?

CMS-GT4

I am almost afrain no one here knows. I think it is just like the trd unit. You have to disesseble the entire housing and install the cusco. Something like a 4-6 hour job per toyota.

I have been debating if I should go cheap and get a torsen lsd or buy a cusco/ trd unit.

dave

CMS - I meant I had a standard 205 one that I blew, not a TRD one, they're discontinued, so if you can find one, grab it :)

I spoke with Fensport this afternoon about the Cusco, you're right you do have to do some installation into the existing diff housing, which will complicate things a little more, but it's not a show stopper

After chatting with Fensport though I think I may give another standard 205 diff a go, it's possible mine had developed a fault that hastened it's demise, they reckoned it wasn't until around 600hp that they started killing diffs on a regular basis, mine went around 430ish - if another one dies though it'll definitely have to be the Cusco next time :)

OK, so noone tried putting the MR2 LSD tranny in their alltrac ?

If so, I want details because I have a brand new MR2 tranny
(93 LSD) in my closet and a 152K untouched tranny going
back into my alltrac ....
NOTE since we cannot get new trannies for our alltracs and rebuild seems
hideoulsly expensive (especially here in MD, quoted 1300 for new synchros
and bearings) a new MR2 tranny would be a great option