oem vs. external wastegate with clocked CT20b turbo?

gt4tified

Hi all,

I will be using a Homologation ST-205 CT20b turbo (steel turbine) with my new setup, and want to clock the turbo to accomodate the FMIC piping setup, which is of my own design.

Would it be easier to get a custom bracket fabricated for continued use of the internal OEM wastegate, or should I go with an external wastegate. I am using a JDM SS exhaust manifold, which I can modify to allow for an external wastegate flange.

I plan on running about 17-18psi boost on this turbo (engine is a modified gen2 with JE pistons and with gen3 cams). I plan on using an electronic boost controller of some sort.

Can I get some opinions on which route I should go? At this stage my main consideration is what is less hassle and within a budget.

Hotrodhendrix

Less hassle would be custom bracket for the wastegate. I had one made for my VR4 when I clocked its front turbo. Cost 75 bucks I think.

Aftermarket wastegate would be more felixble for future upgrades if you end up going larger turbo. Other than that the stock wastegate should do just fine.

tw2

I just found a piece of flat metal, drilled some holes and bracket complete. There is a picture in the FMIC clocked turbo write up in the DIY or howto section.

You are running highish boost on a small turbo both of which mean a small wastegate will work fine so stick with the stock one. An external would be great but not necessary at this stage.