What was your coldest ''cold start'' in your alltrac?

warracer

So yeah, what was your coldest temperature start in your alltrac?

For me it was -32C (-25.6F) (-40C windchill) before going to work this morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDmSCTHV ... e=youtu.be

Starts up like a champ! couldn't be happier, the only mod I made was the MAF cold start mod which helped a lot! :D

P.S : sorry for the language , im always grumpy when I just woke up! :p

celigts

What's the maf mod? And for me lately was -37C but that's with the windchill factor. Started very rough! Idled like crap and as weird as it kind of was it overheated after 20mins of idle. Refilled coolant and she was good to go. Started fluttering idle from 1-3krpm.

athousandleaves

Just for reference; wind chill DOES NOT affect your car, oil, coolant, battery and so on. Wind chill is based on the perceived decrease in air temperature felt by the body on exposed skin due to the flow of cold air.

So if its -26°C with a wind chill of -50°C don't worry, your (hopefully synthetic) oil will still be able to flow on startup but having a battery warmer and block heater can help with rough starts on cold days. Or you could knit your car a nice big scarf ;P

Only issue I have with cold weather is getting my door to close!!!

Ironchief

I'd have to say -40 Celsius before the wind chill. Smelt like burnt metal and had to enter from the trunk because the doors were frozen. She made some weird noises that's for sure.

GRnate185

Haha yup -45Cish. Felt terrible because I had to keep foot on the gas a bit for it to run for like 10 sec. After that it stopping making horrendous sounds and idled properly. Sat in it for the better part of 40 minutes and it was no where near warm
Edited:added Celcius

MWP

athousandleaves":38dfbc0n said:
Just for reference; wind chill DOES NOT affect your car, oil, coolant, battery and so on. Wind chill is based on the perceived decrease in air temperature felt by the body on exposed skin due to the flow of cold air.

Ah, but it will if the car is not moving :)
The wind will flow through the rad and over the engine cooling it more than if there was no wind.

And for me.... coldest would be about 5degC (40degF) :rofl:

athousandleaves

While a cooler flow of air over the car will aid in running a bit cooler I was trying to dispell the notion that wind chill has an effect on more than just human/animal skin.

Here in the winter we typically get two values for our temperature, one is what a thermometer would show and the other is that number with the average windspeed taken into account which is usually an even lower number.
For example, "its -34°C with a Wind chill of -41°C"
As a result of that no matter how fast your car drives down the road the air temperature flowing through the car will always be -34°C or warmer. The only way you would experience the wind chill temperature value is if you opened the window when the car is stopped and a breeze blew in or if you redid the wind chill equation with your current vehicle speed factored in.

Fortunately for you living in the southern hemisphere you don't get wickedly cold days so I can understsnd why you may have been confused by what I posted.