St185 sunroof problems?help!

Twincam.22

Ok so symptoms/checks are:
will open no problem.
Will NOT close.
Upon trying to close I can hear a switching noise but motor will not turn.
Checked motor with direct supply from battery and will turn( out of car) both directions when I switch polarity.
Checked the control switches, relay, limit switches and they all show continuity where they should and not where not supposed to.
Gears are not worn.
Tried closing via normal switch when not engaged with the car incase it was a mechanism problem in the sunroof itself but it still won't budge in closing direction.
I reset the wheel which turns on and off the limit switches per manual still no luck.

I think I've checked everything and can't find a problem!!

Please help!

yyonline

On my Celica ST, I had a similar problem. It was caused by a frayed cable that would bind up. For awhile, lubricating the cables would temporarily resolve the problem. Eventually, I ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly.

2RM

Mine works only when its hot out. I think its due to electric motor getting weak over the years. Park you car out side on the sun and see if it will close. There is also a manual back up on the sun roof mech. You can turn it with flat head screw driver, if I remember right. I also checked with Toyota if the motor is sold separately. It is not. The sun roof motor assy is like $750 ish.

Twincam.22

OK folks i found the issue anyway, it was the relay which was faulty.
In the checks i have listed above i actually checked the wiring int he car which goes to the relay not the actual relay itself so got a new one as it was only thing which was not checked and working so happy out now all sorted!

2RM

Glad to hear that! So the sun roof relay was bad? Where is it located? Driver side kick panel?