RHD ST185 from Canada to US Please Help!

I've been browsing through other posts on this topic, but still haven't found one that applies directly to my situation.
I have located and secured the purchase of a Beautiful RHD 1990 St185 with 85,000 original miles! Located in Montreal Canada.
I have no idea how to begin this importing process, so I am asking for some Specific information.
I asked if the vehicle was originally purchased in Canada and he said yes, Another factor is that my Local Area in Oregon has NO Emissions tests at all... i don't know if that will play a factor in the transfer over the border, as i don't know how the process works.
Question 1
How do i go about Beginning the process without initiating a process that will send the car down the ramp to some place that will potentially want to modify it? if that is possible
Question 2
I don't have a passport, and won't have one before I am to receive the car, so He said he would drive across the border to the airport where i will fly in to pick it up. I have about a month to get all the paperwork in order, is it possible for me to have the car registered before it is in my possession, so that when i pick it up i have plates to slap on and insurance ect. ready? Am i dreaming it to be super simple or what :p
Question 3
What is a Ballpark for the costs that I may incur in getting the car registered to the US from Canada.
Assuming things roll smoothly.

And if you have completed this process yourself, please send me a PM if you're feeling inclined to help walk me through it.
Much Appreciation!
Makana

underscore

I'd take a look over on GTRCanada, I believe a few cars from there have been sold to US buyers so there might be more info for you. I know when vehicles come the other way (from the US to Canada) there's paperwork that has to be sent to the border ahead of time or they won't let it cross, I'm guessing there will be something similar going your way.

Spectra1

I have imported cars both ways from Canada to US and from US to Canada. In either situation there is paperwork that you will need to fill out. It being over 25 years old makes the paper work and supporting documents a little easier. You will not need to send anyting in ahead of time but you will need to be present with the car when it enters the country. The only way around that is if the seller is willing to import it as your agent. At that point it gets a lot more tricky for you and for the seller and that is assuming he would be willing to act as your agent which brings liability issues. My advice is to import the car yourself which means you must be present at the time of entry. As for the paperwork I think there is two documents that you will need to fill out. A simple google search should bring them up. The included instructions are actually pretty good as long as you take the time to read them. I know this was not the specific details you were looking for but I hope it helps.

Thank you both underscore and Spectra1
I can see the information that i actually need, is what you've offered. I just wanted to hear from someone who has brought over a vehicle, and gain a little confidence in taking my first step towards bringing it over.
I found out the car was Imported from japan. i don't know if that'll have an impact on the process much but once i take the first steps i'll find out :D Prayers for Grace in the process. I'll keep you updated as it goes along
Salutations Alltrac Heads
~makana

As long as the car is 25 years or older, it doesn't matter what country it comes from. It will be legal to import under the 25 year rule that the us has.

I am curious... has anyone reading this imported a Modified Alltrac, through the border under the 25 year exemption without it being modified through the customs process?

I got a little concerned when i saw this

NOTES:
Regardless of the requirements above being sa
tisfied, a vehicle is not eligible for this
exemption if it has been modified or altered
such that the vehicle configuration is not
covered under the original manufacturer's certificate of conformity.
Obtaining a letter from the OEM's U.S.
representative is the responsibility of the
importer. EPA does not have authority over
manufacturer's non-U.S. version vehicles.
Some manufacturers do not provide such letters. Failure to obtain such a letter is not
justification for a hardship exemption.

Any thoughts? The one i am buying is quite modified....

Turbo Lean":3npn6an5 said:
As long as the car is 25 years or older, it doesn't matter what country it comes from. It will be legal to import under the 25 year rule that the us has.

Curious :)
Have you done this process before? or are you simply passing on information you've heard? I'd love to hear directly from someone who has done this themselves, or been a part of the process of it happening.

It's fact.
The USA has a law where it won't let you legally import a car if it's under 25 years old. Any vehicle manufacturered after August of 1991 is completely legal to import into the USA regardless of its origin, make or model. Next month, any vehicle manufactured after sept of 1991 is legal for importation. See the pattern?
However, the law does specify that it's illegal to import if the vehicle has a motor swap. But that's such a gray area. Alltracs and gt-fours motors from all generations basically look the same so I would t worry about that part.
The r32 skyline is now legal to import and I am seeing them come in with modified suspension and minor add ons like gauges and wheels.

All this info is widely available with a simple google search. Even YouTube has some uploaded videos explaining the process of importing a car.
Importing from Canada would be easiest because you can just drive the car down! Unlike shipping a car in a container vessel across the sea. Just remember it has to be 25 years or old down to the month.

underscore

^ you mean manufactured before. As for motor swaps, does the law specify whether that means a different engine code, or any replacement engine?

I did not see a specification other than the engine has to meet the same perameters as the engine originally offered in the car.... I am considering paying an import company. Because of if I slip up on that mountain of paperwork, I could have my vehicle denied entry...
If I don't develop a friend who has done this, I might bite the bullet and pay the piper to make sure it gets through. I can't afford to fly to the east coast to pick up my car, and have any hiccups or hang up a of any sort.
The company I called asked for 850$ for all the paperwork... I think I'll shop around a bit at that :/

Honestly, that's a lot of money for something that easy to do now that the car you want is 25 years or older. Do lots of reading before doing this and you will realize just how simple it can be. From my research, I believe there are two separate forms to fill out.
Just follow the rules and you're good.
Any car that old is completely exempt from pretty much everything! The only thing is the state you're registering the car in. Even though it's governmentally exempt, some states have different rules. For example, California.

underscore":1eq2r8sn said:
^ you mean manufactured before. As for motor swaps, does the law specify whether that means a different engine code, or any replacement engine?
Yeah that's what I meant. As for engines and 25+ year old cars for import a vehicle over 25 years old can only be imported with its original engine or a different EPA-certified engine.

Aren't 3sgte motors pretty much almost identical? I'm sure the border petrol isn't going to be a Toyota buff.