T-vis gone bad, engine damaged

Gert

Somebody must do it: :D

CT27port01.jpg

CT27port02.jpg

CT27port03.jpg

Now I did see the difference between de stock turbine housing and the CT27 one.

If time enough, I will post some pics later.

Gert

Hmm, forgot to mention: the turbo was having an sticky wastegate. First post above I see boost creep was up to about 1.1 bar at 7.500 rpm, but later on, with mapping it was much worse.
She saw 1.4 bar at 5.500 and rising! So we quit mapping and tried to solve boost problems first.

Creep%203e%20gear%20CT27.jpg

So, we fixed the sticky wastegate, but that was not enough, still seeing 1.1 bar under wot.

Now, because of the bad Celica intercooler design, I installed an ERL waterinjection system, with an fail safe option. ERL is injecting from 0.7 bar, because the stock wastegate is 0.6 bar. Normally, no waterinjection required with 0.6 bar or less.
So, if I (or somebody else, wife, kids, everybody uses the GT4) are pushing with 1.0 bar and the ERL is going into error, boost is dropping to stock wastegate level. Untill now that always worked fine. But with this kind of boostcreep, the whole fail safe option is useless.

Ported the wastegate now, and hope that we can map the car soon, starting with normal boost levels.

Gert

Busy lately, not much news.

Ported the wastegate. Ported too much. Burnt a whole in the turbinehousing while boosting and let it weld by an professional welder. Hope it holds.
Anyway, the porting went so good, boost is not getting higher than 0.7 bar now. Even if I disconnect the waste gate actuator: still 0.7 bar...sigh.
Probably the wastegate is not strong enough to keep the door closed. So, more testing to do, but no time left. Not really a problem since furtheron, the car goes strong and runs really well.

Strange problem: because the oilfilter adapter plate came loose on the highway, suddenly I saw a big cloud of blue smoke behind the car and massive oil loss. Car was towed away:
GT4ANWB.jpg

Luckily for me, I could switch off the engine immidiately and no further damage. No strange noises and good oil pressure. Drove about 5.000 kms since that happened.

As soon as I have time to modify the waste gate actuator I can test again. But, since I have an other project car with heating/airco problems, the Celica is second.
KachelM501.jpg

Gert

Bummer, old cars is always something.
Since the engine is running on 3 cilinders with cold start, I checked compression. Well, cilinder 3 is having 6 bar and 4 is having 8 bar = not good.
If warmed up, the engine is running on four cilinders. Dunno why, nothing happened. I even was not able to reach high boost due to wastegate problems.... sigh.

Discovered water in the boot (under the sparewheel) too??? Used an garden hose to check where it is coming from. Appears to drip under the rubber seal. Removed the rubber and discovered a rust spot there. So, that needs to be fixed too. Double sigh.

Gert

In the mean time, received an Forge actuator. Destroyed an old leaking CT26 actuator to test fit the forge on the old bracket:

Forge01.jpg

Forge02.jpg

Gert

Well, the car is at the hospital.
Appears that all exhaust valves are exact on specs and most inlet valves are to tight???
This results in leaking compression cilinder 3 and 4.
We are hoping to solve this problem with thinner (custom) shims.
To be continued...

Gert

Installed thinner shims and compression came back... pfwiew. Lucky me, no burned valves!
Car is back again.

underscore

That's something I wouldn't have thought of if I had low compression. Are the shims difficult to change in the car?

Gert

I did not change them myself. My mechanic did that.
Because the head has been rebuild twice, the valve depth is pretty much, leaving little space for shims.
Scored some spare shims at the junk yard last monday, when I picked the nozzles up.
At the machine shop they made the shims fit between the cam and valves.
Unbelievable what difference it is. She fires right up and revolution is much nicer. Boost building up is getting better too.

We agreed to push another 5.000 kms, check valves again and than install the Forge actuator.

On a side note, some squiking noise came from the rear wheel this morning. Inspection showed us that one of the handbrake pads was loose on one end... sigh, always something with old cars. :cry:

Gert

Antenna mast broke. Tried an cheap Ali one, but the plastic tooth piece does not fit. Bummer, was really cheap.
I am trying the dealer now.
Part number: 86337-32200

88gt4DE

Its always something. My list for Bear Mountain is growing. I need to get started but two jobs and 7 days a week is killing me :?

Gert

Okay, here is the deal. Compression is gone again, after another 3.500 kms.
Checked valves, too thight again.
Hmmm, wait, that is not good.
Checked the internet and it appeared that some Ferrea valves cannot handle the 3S head... sigh. Guess what is in my car.
I should have checked this before buying, but that is too late now. I contacted the importer in Europe and let see what is coming out.

Contacted the Toyota dealer too. Intake valves are deliverable, exhaust not. About 50 euro's each, ex VAT.

So, the head has to come off again. Was there nobody on this forum who could warn me :)

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/engle-val ... 599/page-2

underscore

You seem to have very bad luck, my sympathies. This is the first I've heard of issues with any of the valves available for this engine. Skimming the start of that thread though it sounds like the issue lies more with the Engel springs he used?

Gert

FC Zach":lulkpeq4 said:
underscore":lulkpeq4 said:
it sounds like the issue lies more with the Engel springs he used?

That's how I interpreted it too.
You should read the entire discussion on MR2. Then you find out it is in the valves.
My engine is equipped too with the engle springs. But, they are there since 2002 and since 2005 with 264 HKS cams and stock valves. So, no problems with this combo in 18 years and about 100.000 kms.

Perhaps I should find me some good used Toyota valves.

Gert

Strange, the dealer is not giving new part numbers if they fit from an other car. So, when I asked for my own valves, they don't have/give other options who might fit. Result: do it yourself:

Second gen 3S valves:
In = 13711-88362 = ± 55 euro ex vat.
Ex = 13715-88361 = not deliverable
Third gen:
In = 13711-88460 = not deliverable.
Ex = 13715-88480 = ± 65 euro ex vat.
Fourth gen:
In =13711-88580 = ± 35 euro ex vat.
Ex = 13715-88480 = same as third gen.
Delivery time: approx four weeks, they think...!!

Well, since 3S valves almost never crash, we decided to trace a set of good used valves and install those.
Valves are probably here by wednesday. Head gasket is ordered, so hopefully no long down time.

Gert

Finally got the car back.
I got myself a spare head and some extra valves and gave it to the rebuilder.
He swapped the intake valves only and left the exaust Ferrea's in place.

Took some time, since the rebuilder was very busy, but due to corona and no races to do, suddenly he had plenty of time.

Anyway, engine is going strong, but still struggeling with boost levels. The CT27 and me is not a good marriage. Divorce is on the way, I suppose. :shoots:

The guy who sold me the Ferrea's is doing nothing too, told me: bad luck. I mailed Ferrea in the USA, but they do not answer at all. I mean: how bad is it if in 2012 it appears the Ferrea's are not good and in 2019 you deliver some of them to be installed.....