T-vis gone bad, engine damaged

Gert

Hi, Little note from me, I am not often here, just drive the car.

Just for info: last week, butterfly from cilinder 3 came loose. So the screws and valve went walking through the runners and every piston is having a little damage.

It appears that the T-vis rod from 3+4 came loose, causing the valves to judder or I don't know how you call it.
The screws from cilinder 4 were already loose too.

Anyway, the engine is open again. In 2000 I rebuilded the engine and since then I drove about 85.000 kms.

FC Zach

That's assuming it hasn't been messed with. . . Aren't the screw ends deformed? I believe so, that shouldn't have happened.

underscore

They're supposed to be, we were going to weld/braze the ones on my engine when rebuilding it to ensure they couldn't come out and found they are deformed so it should be impossible for them to come out unless someone took them out.

Gert

Yeah, should be. Anyway, they came out. Two are rock solid, but the other two are (coming) loose.

Tvis%2001.jpg

But, as suspected, the turbo is damaged too. Any good ideas on that one? ATS turbo perhaps.
I live in Europe, so not much possibilities here.

underscore

Can you get closeups of the ends of the loose ones? And what year is the motor? I wonder if Toyota only starting deforming the ends partway through production.

Gert

Okay, sorry, took some time, but I have some pics.

The butterfly screws are deformed, but in the end, if the rod is coming loose, they are going.
Here a pic from a good one:

Tvis%2004.jpg

And these from cilinder 4. You can see that the screws are coming loose and the butterfly is already on his way to destruction...

Tvis%2005.jpg

Tvis%2003.jpg

The car is made in Japan in 1990.

underscore

I'll dig out my spare one and take a look, I didn't think to take a picture of the one in the car when the engine was apart unfortunately.

Gert

Head is back.

head01.jpg

head02.jpg

head03.jpg

head04.jpg

head05.jpg

Cleaned, flowed and optimized. This together with 264's and the CT27 should work well, I hope.

Gert

Car is running strong, but massive boostcreep with the CT27. My old CT26 with upgraded T04E creeped to 0.75 bar, but now she sees > 1.0 bar.
Waste gate = 0.6 bar.
Print from Autronic. Second gear. First run without boostcontroller, second with:

Autronic%202e%20gear%20boostcreep%20CT27.jpg

Gert

Massive boostcreep was due to an sticky wastegate. Perhaps damage with shipping, dunno.

Anyway, solving the sticky wastegate did solve the massive boostcreep, but not the "normal" boostcreep. Next week the turbo is going to be removed and the wastegate ported. It must going te be something like this, found on the world wide web with some MR2 folks:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n595gbzv2bhb ... WyLNIAhcqa

On the other hand, I am surprised that ATS is selling an 'super' high flowing turbo, install an 0.6 bar wastegate but do not port the wastegate??? To me, it think that should be part of the deal/package. :shrug: