T-vis gone bad, engine damaged

Gert

Can you believe that, my other used oem 3S-GTE is cracked too now....pffff.

Is somebody having a new manifold laying around? I suppose not...... :cry:

Gert

Seven bolt, second gen, exhaust.

3sgteheadercrack.JPG

Gert

Tested the car yesterday. Added 5 mm spacer between the wastegate to provide more pre-tension. Now she sees 0.7 bar minimum and 1 bar easily. With the EBC set at 1.0 bar, boost is dropping a little above 6.500 rpm now, to around 0.9 bar.
I think I can live with that.
The Forge is installed with an 0.8 bar spring, but I too have a 1.0 bar spring.
But, if I swap that, I have to test again and if the wastegate pre-tension needs to be adjusted, I cannot reach the wastegate's little spring on the arm and I have to disassemble a lot again to get to this spring... sigh.
So, I think I keep the 0.8 spring with pre-tension now tested.
Since the exhaust manifold needs to be swapped, that is no problem.

Oh, and the 45 mm Omori temp gauge died. Always something...

Hmm, maybe this topic needs to be removed to the project section? Dunno.

Gert

Decided to weld an old cracked manifold and see how long that one is going to last. Since new manifolds are not available anymore and old ones crack too, we are taking this route. Dunno.
Pretty expensive with gaskets, but no other option for the moment.

3sgteheaderweld.JPG

Last year and 6.500 kms ago we welded the CT27 turbinehousing too and that one is going strong till now, so fingers crossed.

CT27%20gaatje.jpg

Gert

Found out that my T-vis did not work, sigh. Almost impossible to investigate what is wrong. But if you remove the front wheel, with one hand, I could reach the T-vis parts.
Appeared that the connector for the T-vis vsv missed one wire: broke at the connector.
Got myself an spare connector, with wires, and struggled to connect the new connector to the wiring loom.
Anyway, I succeeded and she works now...pfwiew.

Ofcourse one day later, the alarm system quit working. It is an aftermarket system and it lived in the car for about 20 years now. So, no parts available. Since the starter interrupter was disconnected long ago, I only used the system for closing and opening the doors.
I get me some cheap remote car opener and that's it. No need for an noisy sirene.... nobody wants to steal such an money pit. :crazy:

Gert

Six months from installation and about 2.000 kms. She is going strong and runs excellent. Me happy .

Gert

If I sniff a little around it appears that the CT27 seal is an pretty weak part. Aaron isn't very helpfull either. Does anybody know if the stock CT26 seal kit fits this turbo?

Gert

Turbo is off the car. Oil is pooring into the turbine housing and about 10 mm axle play.

What an disaster is this CT27. :roll:

Worst choice ever I made for this car.

Gert

No, I told ATS about my problem and I got an email back about the use of different oils, assuming that I use the wrong engine oil.... *sigh*.

Today I brought the turbo to the rebuilder and a quick inspection told us that the bearing is gone and with some bad luck, the shaft is history too. Later today or tomorrow I get an rapport.

About the CT27, well, first we installed this turbo to the car, but I got massive boost creep, absurd. Pushing over 1,5 bar at 4.000 rpm. Even with the wastgate diconnected! Impossible to control boost.
Contacted ATS: got an sermon that my ignition map is not good and I need to retune blablabla... *double sigh*.

So, I leave this ATS rubbish and started porting the wastegate exit(s).
But now, boost was this strong, the actuator did not hold. I could not receive useable boostlevels.
(This time I did not contact ATS)

So, installed an Forge actuator. Problem solved.

Now, two and a half year and ± 17.000 km later, the bearing and seals are gone.

Probably needles to say that I regret the fact that I ever bought this CT27.

FYI, in 2000 I did sent my eight year old CT26 to PT Turbo https://ptturbo.com/ and got it back with the T04E upgrade. That combo worked for 18 years and about 95.000 kms without any problem.
If I did not had the bad luck with the intake butterflies, this turbo was probably still on the car.

grip-addict

Uff. Sorry. I've had my run-ins with Aaron in the past too, and it... wasn't great. Just know that you're not alone.

What are you thinking about running? I saw a ct20b for sale on the alltrac diaspora facebook group last week. Is your 27 not too far gone that you can rebuild it ?
If you want to get away from the CT series, there are some really good modern options but they definitely cost.

underscore

I can't recall the name of the company at the moment, but there's also modern upgrades that are made to be bolt-in replacements for the CT26. I like the idea of not having to totally rework everything that connects to the turbo just to get some modern tech in there.

edit: found it. You need to change up the fluid lines and the intake coupler size https://www.nixspeedracing.com/shop-mki ... t-on-turbo

grip-addict

I had a gt2860r on my red alltrac and I have a gtx2860 on my white one.
Needless to say... I think the turbo line is really great for street/autox cars.
IMO it's excellent that nixspeed put the garret supercore onto a ct26 turbine housing since you get the best of both worlds - reuse downpipes intercooler setup etc but get the more-modern facets that come along with the newer turbos.

Plus, they spool very quickly and have a bit more performance headroom than the ct series.