Interchangeable parts for st205

RedCelly94

Hey guys, new member here. I've been scouring the forums and havent really found a proper answer. So I'm in a bind with time and cannot buy parts from other countries at the moment. What parts from the regular 6th gen celica can you slap on to the gt4 with minimal to no modifications. I need to get the car state inspected in Maryland and have about a month to do so. My car is already at a shop(turned her in today) with some guys that have worked on gt4s before, but I would like some info on what I'm looking at here in terms of cost, speed and availability. I'm mainly looking at suspension and brakes, lights, maybe the sunroof? Non engine stuff. Any help is appreciated.

simple

You dropped a car off at a shop with a list of do and maybe do? Dang dude. Hope you have a deal or a fat wallet. Respect.

underscore

The headlights transfer over from a 2WD 6th gen, a few guys here with them have done it. Sunroof should be identical. Assuming you still have superstruts you can swap to MacPherson using the whole setup (strut assembly, control arm, etc) from a 2WD model. Brakes I'm not sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put 2WD rotors and calipers on the front.

RedCelly94

Haha kinda. I had talked to the guy a while back cuz he flagged me down and we started talking that's when he said he was a mechanic and had worked on gt4s before. I'm getting stationed in california so I wanna do all this before I go over there, whatever i get done here will be alot cheaper than dropping 7500 to make it CARB compliant. Plus whatever maintenance it will need regardless. BTW where in colorado are you? @simple

RedCelly94

underscore":2vk4tz4s said:
The headlights transfer over from a 2WD 6th gen, a few guys here with them have done it. Sunroof should be identical. Assuming you still have superstruts you can swap to MacPherson using the whole setup (strut assembly, control arm, etc) from a 2WD model. Brakes I'm not sure, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put 2WD rotors and calipers on the front.

Yes i do still the superstrut. Ok so that sounds easy enough. Sourcing that would be alot cheaper and easier than the superstrut. Thank you.

simple

Ah that makes more sense. You are getting it registered before going to Cali.

I'm near Montrose, CO. The land where no Celica parts exist.

RedCelly94

simple":25ulqk7c said:
Ah that makes more sense. You are getting it registered before going to Cali.

I'm near Montrose, CO. The land where no Celica parts exist.

Yeah man, so stupid. I love california, but I hate it so much as well. Ah okay, lol geez that must be tough.

alltracman78

To convert from superstrut to regular suspension you're going to have to replace EVERYTHING. The entire front suspension system. Possibly even the swaybar and end links. Struts, steering knuckles (along with hubs and bearings), control arms, probably outer tie rods, front rotors, calipers and pads. Going to make a BIG difference in braking power.

I've never had to register a car in Ca, so I can't speak from firsthand knowledge, but I've read a bit about it.
I do know that different counties in Ca implement emissions rules differently. They either have different rules or they enforce them differently. Some are more strict than others.
I don't know if they have different regulations for non US cars that are imported or not. If they require them to follow the exact same rules as US cars I can't see how you'll be able to register without fudging something.
If your car is registered as 96 ^ they're going to want to hook it to an OBDII machine I would think. Your ECU isn't going to be able to communicate.
Also, at least some inspection stations (probably depends on county) will try to physically test your EGR system if it's a 95 or older. You flat out don't have one so it can't be tested. Unless they have different rules for non US spec cars that's a failure right there.
There might be other issues too.

Like I said, I don't have firsthand knowledge of this, and there may be different rules for non US cars. Just be aware of this stuff before you go.

Domspun

The only thing you can have for the brakes in North America are the pads. Rotors need to be imported. Suspension also need to be imported. You can fit rear shocks from a ST185, but brake lines brackets won't fit and alignment will be off (too much camber).

The body is mostly the same.

antyoo

RedCelly94":3b7gdzbh said:
Haha kinda. I had talked to the guy a while back cuz he flagged me down and we started talking that's when he said he was a mechanic and had worked on gt4s before. I'm getting stationed in california so I wanna do all this before I go over there, whatever i get done here will be alot cheaper than dropping 7500 to make it CARB compliant. Plus whatever maintenance it will need regardless. BTW where in colorado are you? @simple

Who quoted you $7500 to make the car CARB compliant? Would love to talk to them.

I've been looking into it and I believe the hardest part is the car will need an EGR system added to it (JDM models do not have EGR, UK specific models did however). I already work with test labs and CARB because of my typical duties at work, so I have plenty of connections and have tested a lot of vehicles to get CARB EO's but I am not aware of anyone or company offering compliance service specifically for the ST205

antyoo

underscore":24wu99wi said:
Is the EGR system all mechanical? You might be able do it with ST185/ST165/ST162 parts.

It is not. There is a vsv that the ECU controls. The jdm ecu likely has nothing programmed in it to control the egr system so that’s a big hurdle too. I am trying to find a uk spec st205 ECU as that would probably be the easiest way to get the control side working

The head would need to be modified to add the ports for egr. Then I think the parts can be sourced from a gen2 engine.