3S GTE (ST 205)

A

Anonymous

The 3S GTE from ST 205 did have hydraulic tappets? If so, why did reqiure to adjust the valve clearance? :shrug:

EG-15.jpg

Thank you

jprine01

The st205 head is just like the 2nd gen, just the shims are under the buckets insted of on top. Also I guess the stems on the valves are smaller.

Kyoto

Not a big correction but the 205 heads have far better flow properties than both 165 and 185. They also lost TVIS but this is generally common knowledge, search and ye shall find. :)

beej

Kyoto":2ay3fqbm said:
Not a big correction but the 205 heads have far better flow properties than both 165 and 185. They also lost TVIS but this is generally common knowledge, search and ye shall find. :)

actually if u go to MR2oc.com u'll find that the second gen head on a flow bench actually out performs the 3rd gen.....it was Chris K or one of the other knowledge gods on there that presented the numbers

Kyoto

Really? Its commonly quoted (quoted being the operative term ;) ) that its the other way round. If your right, why would people put Gen 3 heads on Gen 2 motors?

jprine01

Chrisk tested the 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and caldina heads I believe. The 2nd gen head had the highest port velocity, 3rd gen next, caldina last. This is the speed of the air going out of the intake port. These were all stock non-ported heads. And this was done without the intake manifold or throttle body etc connected. They could play a big roll too. Remember this is port velocity not overall flow. I remember the 2nd gen was only better by a very small amount. To say the 2nd gen head "out performs the 3rd gen" is not the full truth. It is only based on one characteristic.

Gurr

Uh, just to inform you... you can't put a 205 head on a 185 engine. They are designed differently. People swap the 205 engine in the 185's because it has more power and less miles. Also, the tranny is even stronger than the 185's.

beej

Gurr":mbhrtkqa said:
Also, the tranny is even stronger than the 185's.

i've heard the transfer case is larger, but i find that point somewhat hard to believe considering the minor differences.....how many ppl hav broken either for taht matter? what part of the tranny?

Insanity-74

Gurr":1o5q7gxr said:
Uh, just to inform you... you can't put a 205 head on a 185 engine. They are designed differently. People swap the 205 engine in the 185's because it has more power and less miles. Also, the tranny is even stronger than the 185's.

Yes you can, some minor alteration of the waterways is needed and thats it....I know of 7 or 8 people at least, who have 205 heads on thier 185`s

All Fours

Just to do some clearing up:

ChrisK's results showed that the Gen 2 head had a higher mass flow ability, which is pretty obvious due to the massive ports. There was much debate about the claims that mass flow = more power, as better velocity achieved by gen 3 heads allows for better cylinder filling etc.

As for the st205 tranny being "stronger", that's not true, they just had improved syncros like the RC, the internals are made of the same materials, same size, design etc, but different ratios. I've never compared side by side, but I'm pretty sure the transfer case is the same size, but the ST205 one doesn't have the viscous coupling selector thing on it.

how many ppl hav broken either for taht matter? what part of the tranny?

FWIW, I have broken the transfer gears on the st185 gearbox, after a few too many hardcore launches with too much grip :)

jprine01

Gurr":fp7j0xz3 said:

I have one, but its not done yet. Besides the slight alteration to the waterways, the cooling pipes around the engine need to be modified, and the timing cover too. Use st185 timing belt. Mine is fully built just not done with the wiring/install

At first I was just going to get a st205 engine, but after having trouble getting one then having to worry about getting one of the earlyer thin walled blocks, i just said screw it when a st205 wrc head/intake/exhaust manifold/fuel rail fell in my lap