Stack ST8130 arrived!

Meurz

Time for an update.

To fix my speedo, the gearbox had to come out. The cogwheel which drives the speedsensor is broken and had to be changed. I decided an upgrade to an ST205 box was the way to go and I was about to complete a deal for one in the UK. However, during some Jap parts hunting I once again ended up drooling over Stack displays, I just love them! They're quite hardcore and SARD makes a ST185 specific carbon panel for them, Nice! 8)

Anyway, I decided to do some more research on them and I found out that besides using a pulse amplifier with the OEM speed sensor, the display also has an option for a wheel sensor to measure the vehicle speed, great! To do this, a sensor is placed inside a rotating part of the brake setup, where it detects metal objects passing by within its range. Vehicle speed is then calculated by using the amount of 'hits' (converted to wheel rotations) in a certain amount of time, combined with the wheel/tire circumference.

This image shows what I'm trying to explain lol;

wheelsensor.jpg

Since my AP Racing discs are also 2 piece items, I could use the little bolts in them to get the rotating speed of the wheels.. In other words, I've ordered a Stack setup! This way I don't have to drop the engine (winter here plus no space to do it really) AND have an awesome dashboard 8)

It took a while, but I've got most parts needed now:

The ST8130 display;

stackdisplay.jpg

stackdisplay2.jpg

A big analogue revcounter, combined with a digital display which shows:

• Fuel (L)
• Speed (km/h)
• Trip (km)
• ODO (km)
• Oil temp ('C)
• Oil press (bar)
• Water temp ('C)
• Intake air temp ('C) [Optional, I didn't order that sensor (yet?)]
• Battery voltage (V)
• Lap timing

SARD carbon Stack meter panel;

sardpanel.jpg

sardpanel2.jpg

I've ordered some extra lights because for my car to stay road legal in The Netherlands, I have to have warning lights for ABS, rear fog, etc. Dunno if I'll place them next to the ones already in the carbon panel or somewhere else in the dash..

Dry fitting:

stackdisplay3.jpg

Ohh can't wait 'till it's installed! :D

I also got a TRUST oilsensor attachment for the Stack sensors;

trustoilsensoradapter.jpg

trustoilsensoradapter2.jpg

Because I'm a fan of overengineering, I won't be using such a ghetto bracket as pictured above. Therefore I got an additional bolt from AP Racing to create 5mm space for the speedsensor bracket.

There are some other parts still on their way from Japan but I'll post those when they're here :wink: Looking forward to do the wiring.. :?

goodies.jpg

I plan to install all of it in January.

alltracshoak

meurz, your car is JDM tite yo..ALL of the parts you buy are blingin 8) its either, cusco,sard,hks,or them brand name type of stuff...i wish i have that much money to spend like you :p

cant wait till the next update.it's always interesting to see what's the next thing you're going to buy

evo

haha, very nice man

you're always uncovering bits I've never even knew were in existence

CMS-GT4

Very cool. I wanted a stack pack myself. I am sticking OEM for now though. Looks like a couple grand worth or toys there. :D

Meurz

Thanks guys! It sure is expensive stuff, but I could justify it 'cause it saves me buying and installing another gearbox (or the work to fix it), it saves me buying oil temp / press gauges, and it's something I'll enjoy everytime I'm in my car.. It's not something which will disappear underneath somewhere..

Dustin, JDM wallpaper y0! Bought it as temporary solution but I quite like it now :p

CMS-GT4

It would also be cool if you listed maybe some of the sources for this stuff. I have only found it on rhdjapan.com and yahoo auctions.

I love the carbon dash insert. I have only seen one other 185 use the stack.

Meurz

Ok, I'll list some in the future, but most of the time the known Jap shops have it, or can get it - For instance, I knew I wanted those C-One braces.. RHDJapan was able to get them for me and now they're listed on their site so everybody can get them..

I've see 2 ST185's with it; the white rally replica from that Jap dude with a blog about his car and the SARD demo-RC.

Meurz

Ah, that one.. Seen that before, but he hasn't got a Stack though.. He uses an IAM unit which MoTeC also offers iirc.

RedCelicaTRD

I like it, and I'm thinking about getting one. However, I want to see how bright the display is at night before I make my final decision. Bright lights at night really bug me, and I assume you probably cant adjust the brightness with the stock rheostat. So I'll patiently await some nighttime pics :D

Puffy

Ohhh thats very Nice Meurz
That Meurz guy has every JDM part known to man kind hanging off that damn CS of his, everyone loves it....I even love it. Why cant I have all those parts - stupid life !