My 1990 Celica GT Four (RC Conversion)

Redswan

However, in the midst of this chaotic move and getting ready to put the car and trucks in storage for a year. I managed to finish the ST205 ECU swap. I was having some trouble with my wiring so I removed the 540cc injectors and have to put them back in, but everything works.

***************YOUTUBE VIDEO*****************
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XsxD5iPww
***************YOUTUBE VIDEO*****************

15%2B-%2B1

EDIT:
I got the injectors in there it took less than an hour. I already bored out the fuel rail to 8mm (from 6mm) a few weeks ago. so they just dropped in. It idles much lower and smoother. I wish i hadn't unplugged and packed my boost controller accidentally :( this would be fun to play with.

Redswan

nickfootball":17voxf3d said:
Redswan":17voxf3d said:
Also for this RC Badge remake...I need to know how much demand there is for them before I make a run at it.
Hi Mike,
I'd take 2 RC badges if you do manage to make them. I also think you would get a good demand for them. I can ask on the gt4oc site to find numbers interested?
Well done on the purchase of the RC number plaque, what a find! I have been looking a few years too but not as long as 15 years so you well deserve it :) can I ask how much it cost? I have seen one previously before but that was going for approx $1000!
I will finally take one of your replica plaques if you still have them, I have your details via IM.
Your project is looking brilliant and I look forward to more updates on it.

Nick

I found them. If you still want them please let me know. I am leaving the country soon.

Redswan

underscore":3bipcqwv said:
I'd take a few as well, probably a good idea to have some spares if they're discontinued.

I found them. Please pm me. I'm out of here soon and would like them sold before I go.

Redswan

So an update and hopefully the last for a while. The car is running and driving. Honestly it it is faster than the stock USDM ECU that was in there.

Issue:
I have a Code 52 that I cannot seem to get rid of on either ECU. It comes on after the car has cycled through the cold start, if you rev it past 3k RPM the CEL comes on.
Corrective actions:
I changed the wiring to a shielded coax cable with a solid core (75 Ohms) NOTHING ......
I replaced the sensor with a new OEM one NOTHING...

Its still throwing the same code 52 on both ECUs

The only other thing I can think of is the fuel injectors the car was running great on the 440s

any ideas on knock sensor woes?

underscore

How are your motor mounts? A friend of mine went through probably 7 knock sensors on his MR2 before he found out one of the mounts was trashed and causing knock to be detected.

Redswan

So... it was the ST205 Igniter. I swapped back in the ST185 RC one and it quit tripping the knock sensor. The boost went back up and the fuel cut sure works. I put it in long term storage today and said adios! So I guess I will start saving up for my next round of mods.

20150629_112512.jpg

Corey

Awesome you solved the issue. I wonder if maybe it was a bad ignitor? I found that with my car, the rev limit was set too low with the 185 ignitor.

Redswan

Thanks man! its fitting that I figured it out on the day i put it in storage for a year. SIGH oh well at least it won't be bugging me anymore.

For the Rev limiter. The ST205 one is revving to almost 7K, but it kicks in the knock at 3K. I swapped them, and now I have to tune my boost controller to avoid the new fuel cut.

Redswan

So, I finally found a deal on a ST205 Power FC, too bad I won't be putting it on anytime soon.
_x8YvpNsXFGNG2zbKbqtbVbNGSu-NPaT51slMJFX0_8=w889-h500-no

I did some more research. I used to have an OS Giken twin plate for my old GT4, but now days they actually make a street compatible sprung twin plate. I'm trying to source one of these. We will see how it goes.
nengun-3430-00-osgiken-str_clutch_kit.png

...Let the parts stock piling begin.

Redswan

I went ahead and placed an order tonight for the OS Giken STR clutch from greenline.jp. I've never done business with them, but they were quick to respond to my questions so far.

Corey

If it comes with flywheel bolts, I would check the height of the bolt head compared to OEM. I once owned an ORC 409 single plate clutch which might be similar to this one. It came with bolts with a low profile head. I thought this was a poor design, and decided to use the OEM flywheel bolts. Little did I know, the low profile bolts were so for a reason. After 60k km, as the disk wore down, it moved closer and closer to the crank - and the bolts. Eventually, the disk started to grind against the flywheel bolts.

The low profile bolts were designed to prevent this.

Redswan

So I have been compiling parts and CS goodies the past 6 months or so.

1. OS Giken STR clutch
2. Apex'i Power FC (ST205) already running the stock ST205
3. Greddy TD06 Kit (thanks Frantz)

nengun-3430-00-osgiken-str_clutch_kit.png

16%2B-%2B1

16%2B-%2B1

I acquired some rare Carlos Sainz Goodies too

1. Sparco 1992 Carlos Sainz Helmet (working replica)
2. Sparco Carlos Sainz shift knob
3. Sparco Carlos Sainz racing jacket
4. Sparco Carlos Sainz racing shoes

DSC00356.jpg

16%2B-%2B1

OjrML_fJ65bskUyheulnktimDMk8QjUuiTnVay3HIkE=w382-h439-no

$_12.JPG

Hopefully I can get home in the next 6 months to get all this put together :D

GT4times2

Redswan":2c0ebu1r said:
So I have been compiling parts and CS goodies the past 6 months or so.

1. OS Giken STR clutch
2. Apex'i Power FC (ST205) already running the stock ST205
3. Greddy TD06 Kit (thanks Frantz)

2. Sparco Carlos Sainz shift knob
3. Sparco Carlos Sainz racing jacket
4. Sparco Carlos Sainz racing shoes

Hopefully I can get home in the next 6 months to get all this put together :D

You're welcome Mike! Things are looking good. Can't wait to see the progress when you get back.

MWP

Redswan":2k948muf said:
So, I finally found a deal on a ST205 Power FC, too bad I won't be putting it on anytime soon.

Its a good thing you wont be installing it any time soon... it'll give you time to sell it and get something decent.

I don't know why people persist in buying Japanese made tuner ECUs like this.
Even back in their day they were average. Today they are old tech and perform no where near as well as even the most basic modern ECUs.

Go get something like a Megasquirt2 Plug n Play ECU.
It'll be far easier to tune, more capable, be more reliable, you'll get far better product support, end up with more power, better driveability, etc, etc, etc.

freddie

A great car.
I noted in your list of mods under Suspension you have fitted ST205 brake callipers and Lexus IS300 discs.
I am interested in doing this conversion also, but I have a couple of question, I would appreciate it if you could help here please in regards to the Lexus IS 300 disc.
1. the height of the ST205 Disc is 59mm and the IS300 is 51mm. Therefore their is a difference of 8mm. Did you pack the calliper out the
8mm or make up an adaptor plate?
2. The centre hole of the ST205 disc is 55mm and the IS300 is 62mm. Therefore there is a difference of 7mm. Did you use a centric ring or did you not bother with it.
3. Re-drilling the IS300 wheel stud holes to cater for 5x100 stud pattern I think would not be a problem. I would probably get a machine shop to do that for me.

Moving the disc out 8mm is a great idea as it will help clearance with the bottom ball joint (without changing the front track).

I looked up DBA Brakes listing for the disc to fit the IS300 and they list it as #748 and when I looked at the list I noted that Soarer/Lexus SC300 SC400 1991 Supra MK IV 5/93 to 1995 are also fitted with this disc.