Vancouver Island Backroads - Spur of the moment Road Trip

Corey

Hey,

My girlfriend and I went on a spur of the moment road trip yesterday. We decided to take a drive to Port Renfew on the SW coast of vancouver island.

There are 2 ways to get there.

1 From victoria, up the coast via highway 14.
2 From lake cowichan, via logging roads "coastal marine highway"

We chose the latter.

Here are a few pics we took along the way, i've sized them down a bit, so if someone wants the full size 10mp ones, let me know.

First pic is a map with the route outlined. Whitney drove the way there, giving me time to snap some pictures. I drove back :evil: on the way back we left at 1950. and got off the 55 km logging road 53 minutes later.

The following are some pics taken along the route. It looks like they are starting to pave the transit, so when its done this road is going to be a blast to drive if one is worried about gravel.

long way down

the road get fun after the sign "thrill starts now, next 40 km" :D

Surface change from gravel to pavement as we near port renfew

Stopped for another pic with the GT4 8) just before crossing 300m single lane bridge which brought us into "downtown" renfew

we stopped by the renfrew pup at the marina.

Lookout point from far above the juan da fuca straight.

Here is a shot of botany bay just before sunset.

I'll have to get the pic off whitney's phone, but along the route, there is a tree that measures 12-14 feet in diameter. amazing. its funny that when they first built the road, they just so happened to come withing 40 feet of whats got to be the largest tree on van island.

(pics no longer available)

Slink

Nice pics :D Looks like fun

Reminds me of when my dad and I took a spur of the moment logging road trip between Penticton & Kelowna, but we took his Matrix... he refused to let me take my Alltrac and I was glad because there were HUGE holes and other scary things, my car would've bottomed out about 50 times

:D

Stubble

I love driving on gravel roads. That's what this car was designed to dominate on.
My all time favourite pic of my car: in its element, on gravel near Lake of the Woods:
rallyroadadj6zj.jpg

Corey

Nice,

I love gravel too, but i sure hate cleaning the car after. especially since i feel i have to hoist it up and crawl under with a hose.... and start spraying lol.... yuk.

Just spent 4 hours polishing and waxing the sunroof last night lol