Common problems with the st165.

the_trooper08

hey im buying a st165 this weekend..and ive sold my car for 6000$$CDN.. so ive got 6000$$ to put into the alltrac... but id like to get the engine and tranny rebuilt... is this a good idea??? .. I guess i was really wondering ..what some common problems or weak spots are there on these cars?? thanks a bunch

ST165-2765

the_trooper08":1ftxjaf6 said:
... but id like to get the engine and tranny rebuilt... is this a good idea??? ..

for the amount of money your going to spend rebuilding I would look around for something a bit newer if you can do the swap yourself like a 204 HP ST185 engine/trans/sensors/ecu..... for $1100.00 us http://www.naganojapanese.com/engine_de ... yota_3SGTE

or a 265 HP ST205 engine/trans/sensors/ecu..... for $2000.00 us http://www.naganojapanese.com/engine_de ... ota_3S_GTE

you may have places out in BC that offer similar packages this place is in montreal

the_trooper08":1ftxjaf6 said:
.. I guess i was really wondering ..what some common problems or weak spots are there on these cars?? thanks a bunch

Well since I'm doing wheel bearings right now I'll suggest that one. It's not a weak spot if their maintained but rust will destroy the 2 grease seals and then the bearings toast.

RUST

rusted
-brake lines,
-gas lines,
-gas tank (not available anymore... anywhere.... new. What you got is probably what your stuck with, cost me almost $1000 to repair mine)
-gas tank filler neck, still available from toyota seeing as you got $6000.00 to spend you can afford 1

rust around the windshield http://st165-all-trac.net/windshield.htm
got a sunroof ? It's rusted http://st165-all-trac.net/sunroof.htm
got rocker panels :p ? their rusted http://st165-all-trac.net/dsrocker.htm

If the car has sat for a while the windshield wipers may seize up. The pivots will seize. This is the point where the wiper arm attaches. Whole new wiper mech from toyota is above $600 you can't just get the part

Since you live in AB you may luck out on the rust situation, I hope so :D

ST165-2765

MORE RUST

Body moldings

dsrocker8.JPG

The one piece you see missing from the door cost over $700 from toyota. Once again rust is the problem. My fiberglass panel is fine but the fastener that were glued to it all rusted away. You cannot get new fasteners. You have to buy a new panel with the fasteners allready glued in place.

Hopefully you like to work on your own car.

Tracs are money pits (I think that's the term generally used in this forum)

It's a toyota.....treat it right with proper maintenance and it will serve you well. Try to get 300 hp out of it and it will sit in your driveway alot.

ST165_Den

What can you do about the rust? I love ST165 and I want to buy one, but I can't afford two cars. Therefore, it is likely that I will also drive the car in the winter. Any particular actions can prevent further rust. I live in Ontario, they used tons of salts in water.... it sucks

ST165-2765

the_trooper08":1dnngknv said:
... i work at toyota.. so i get a discount on parts

:D Your my new best friend :smokes:

But seriously here's a few more things I remembered.

The biggest problem I think that all 1st gens have is a starter problem. You turn the key to start the car and nothing. You will hear the fuel pump but the starter won't turn. Their is a relay somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter that likes to only work intermitently. I ran a heavy wire from a fused 12 volt supply to a toggle switch and then down to the starter solenoid. You can of course also replace or upgrade the original relay.

Oil leaks are common and are primarily caused by loose oil/trans pan bolts or valve cover bolts.

Did I mention RUST

Heat. These babies like to make alot of heat, it likes to cook the wiring in the engine harness.

I hope it's a really BIG discount you get from Toyota, some of their prices are just ridiculous. For example I noticed a split on one of my CV boots on the drivers side front half shaft. Toyota wants $60 for each boot and the half shaft would require 2 so it would cost me $120 just to replace the 2 boots on the half shaft.

For $60.79 plus a core charge of $50 plus shipping I got

A-1 CARDONE Part # 605031 {[CV Half-Shaft Assembly] Reman.}

shipping was about $40 and I can't really count the core charge because I do end up with a second half shaft, so for roughly $100 I got a "good as new" halfshaft for $20 less than Toyota wanted for the two boots and the part was delivered right to my garage.

halfshaft.jpg

for cv boots
PRECISION Part # 4494 {CV Boot} Position: Front; Outer $7.82
PRECISION Part # 4436 {CV Boot} Position: Front; Inner $10.73
SPICER Part # 8161037 {Professional Grade} Quick Boot; Front; Outer $13.68
SPICER Part # 8161052 {Professional Grade} Universal Boot; Front; 4 Wheel Drive; Inner $17.60
DORMAN Part # 614003 Front Outer $14.96
DORMAN Part # 614004 Front Inner $19.31

the_trooper08

ST165-2765":1y4quesh said:
for the amount of money your going to spend rebuilding I would look around for something a bit newer if you can do the swap yourself like a 204 HP ST185 engine/trans/sensors/ecu..... for $1100.00 us http://www.naganojapanese.com/engine_de ... yota_3SGTE

or a 265 HP ST205 engine/trans/sensors/ecu..... for $2000.00 us http://www.naganojapanese.com/engine_de ... ota_3S_GTE

you may have places out in BC that offer similar packages this place is in montreal

Whats the swap to a st185 take??? would that be a entire front clip??

RWDragoon

Am I wrong but I thought all ST205's water-to-air Intercooling? What is the engine in the link above that you posted? Also when were they rated @ 265hp i thought they were only 225hp

Gary ST165

RWDragoon":1nl60chw said:
Am I wrong but I thought all ST205's water-to-air Intercooling? What is the engine in the link above that you posted? Also when were they rated @ 265hp i thought they were only 225hp

the engine in the link is a Caldina 3sgte lump....

the rev3 sw20 and st205 lumps are rated at approx 235-255bhp on stock fuel and ECU sytems, however most produce near on 300bhp with 1.1.bar boost and exhaust mods on UK high octane fuel.

ST165-2765

RWDragoon":11axrvuk said:

I'm pretty sure that your right about the ST205 being water to air intercooled, which is the same as the ST165. The ST185 has an air to air intercooler if I'm not mistaken.

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Celica

Production of the All-Trac, or GT-Four ST205 as it was known outside the US, continued for the Japanese, Australian, European, and British markets. This version was to be the most powerful Celica produced to date, producing between 240-250 hp from an updated 3S-GTE engine.

From what I understand japan has really tight pollution restrictions and engines are normally replaced around 50,000 km and they dump the used one's over here for us.

So they may be pushing it a bit to say 265 hp. I think the american version was rated 225 hp

I know nothing more about the engines I posted than what you see on the web site. I do know that their less than 3 hours drive from my place and I will be taking a trip down their one of these days with $2000 us plus taxes in my hand and coming home with a ST205 engine/trans with the following specs

Toyota 3S GTE (1996)
Code: Toyota 3S GTE
Year: 1996
Displacement: 2000 CC
Horse Power: 265 HP

PRICE: $ 2000.00 USD

Parts Included:

Complete Engine
AWD 5 Speed Transmission
Un Cut Engine wirring Harness
ECU (Computer)
Turbo
Intercooller
Distributor
Alternator
AC Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Starter
Clutch Kit
Fly Wheel
Fuel Rail
Throttle Body
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
All Brackets and Sensors

There are topics in this forum for swaping to a ST185 so you should search around because my ST165 still has a St165 engine in it. It is still pretty much a stock All-Trac.

I have owned 4th gen celica GTS's for the past 10 years and an 88 All-Trac for the past year and a bit. I have never driven or even looked at an ST185 or ST205 so I know nothing about them from personal experience.

From this forum and the gt four forum I can take it on pretty good faith that

- a 185 engine can be swapped into a 165
- a 205 engine can be swapped into a 185
- therefor I have to assume a 205 will go into a 165
- gtfour site says a 205 trans will fit a 165 engine but you might have to f@# with the clutch (so you may as well put in a 205 engine with the trans)
- so a 205 engine and trans should (WILL) fit into my 165 useing the 165 drive shafts to the rear diff.
- gtfour says that a 205 differential will fit a 165 useing the 165's rear half shafts.

205 differentials are superior to 165
205 transmissions are superior to 165
205 engines produce more power than 165 so they are probably superior

some 165 and 185 rear differentials are the same so theirs no advantage to a swap there.

some 165 and 185 transmissions are the same so theirs no advantage to a swap there either.

The 205 setup is definetly the best even if you stay with the old 165 differential, so I don't really know why every one does a 185 swap but I imagine its because a 205 engine/trans is almost twice the cost.

With either a 185 or 205 swap I imagine their will be issues depending on what you want. My 165 has had the AC removed so I don't really care if the 205 AC is compatible. My cruise control doesn't work so I don't have to worry about that.

The main issue's I see are the radiator and plumbing from it to the engine and intercooler, and how the new engine wireing harness will connect to the 165