Ontario speeding crackdown

vash169

Word on the street now is that vehicles that are altered from stock in any fashion (including rims) could be subject to confiscation. I think that's just horror stories spun by people who ziptie Lancer bodykits to their Neon and get busted for it. But, I did notice one newspaper article some time back that showed a cop checking under the car with a mirror... random inspection trying to find aftermarket exhaust much?

hacker_720

Stubble":27fr5v11 said:
3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

So, I can fishtail around corners in my alltrac in the snow because I am in complete control over it? Would I have to prove it to a court that I could execute the same maneouver repeatedly? Would the judge want to stand outside in the cold and watch me?

no, see number 2:

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

Stubble

hacker_720":3bjh5e8c said:
Stubble":3bjh5e8c said:
3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.

So, I can fishtail around corners in my alltrac in the snow because I am in complete control over it? Would I have to prove it to a court that I could execute the same maneouver repeatedly? Would the judge want to stand outside in the cold and watch me?

no, see number 2:

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.

Thank god I live in Manitoba (haha, don't get to say that very often!)

TomsGT4

Good grief...

This new 50-over law mostly causes more headaches than good.
They should crack down on people who don't pay attention while driving, talk on their cell phone forgetting they're driving, eat, drink, yell at their kids in the back seat of their mini-van...

Anyway, I can support this law within city limits, where driving at high speed is most dangerous, but not for the 400 series highways or 80km/h zones when there isn't anyone else around.

It's stupid, and makes me want to get a laser jammer. They can't take your car away for 50 over if they can't tell how fast your going :)

I don't think this law will last too long. Some crack-shot lawyer will probably kill it.
How can you call it racing if you're not racing anyone???
God, this society is getting dumber by the decade.
Ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

hacker_720

It's not technically called racing, it's called "Stunt driving"
I agree that it's stuiped, it get me so mad even thinking about it.

I have a theroy about cell phones:
If you can drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time, then don't drive, EVER!

just give up your lincence, cause if driving requires 98% of you brian power, and talking on a cell phone reqires 80%, and you can't do both, then you shouldn't be driving.

TomsGT4

Just curious, but has anyone on this board been charged with the 50 over law?

Reason I'm asking is because on my way to Windsor last weekend I almost did.
I was doing 155kph with 2 other cars, a cop came up from behind us from an on-ramp & pulled over the car in the right-most lane :shrug: , not the lead car in the left lane, not me taking up the rear, but the one in the middle.
Needless to say it scared the shit out of me when he went past (doing well over 160kph by the way, but their cars are oh so much safer at high speeds than ours).

There were no other cars on the road, we weren't even driving close together, and nobody was inconveniencing anyone else. Just driving.

Honestly, this guy that got pulled over must have lost his car. How terrible for not doing anything wrong.

By the way I believe you're not doing anything wrong if you're not inconveniencing anyone else, getting in anyone's way, or causing an accident.
"It's the law" is just a flawed excuse made up by flawed human beings who create these ridiculous laws for money, and make everyone believe it's solely for our safety.

By the way most people drive at 140kph on my way to work in the morning (I go in early). Walking speed more, and we all loose our cars.
Stupid BS Ontario ministry BS my Valentine1 is in the mail... F'em!

I feel better now for venting. :)
Thank God that wasn't me getting it last weekend.

TozeN

BS I tell you... Im moving from this province becuase im sick of driving my car while looking in the rear view. Im getting good tho.

hacker_720

At one point they had a review of the new law and said it was working ‘cause they caught like 80 people or something. I was like WTF the point of the new law is not to catch people, but to reduce accidents. So I was really mad.

Now they have released a new statement saying that it is working cause there is 80 less fatal accidents caused by "racing" then there was last year..... WTF?!?! I don't remember there being 80 fatal accidents from "racing" in 2007, I remember like 3 in the last 3 years.

I hate our government; I'm running for Prime Minister, who will vote for me?

TomsGT4

Heh, heh. Trust me you don't want half of the sheep in this province voting for you.

I heard that comment on AM 680 this morning & got this off of their website what OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley thinks:

The street racing legislation went into effect at the end of September and Woolley told 680News at least 80 people are alive because of it.
"If you can put this into perspective, that's 80 more people that are alive compared to the same time last year, so this isn't some little fluctuation," Woolley said.
He added that there's been a 40 per cent drop in fatal high speed crashes compared to the same time last year -- something he said he's never seen in his 30 years as an OPP officer.

Wha???
How can you prove that it was because of the "street racing" law and not because everyone and their grandmother is driving much, much slower because of high gas prices??
Didn't gas prices start going up about September last year?
What if there is another reason for it?

I think you're exactly right man, they're saying that the law is "saving lives" true or not so that all the sheep say "oh, I guess it is working".
Now it will never be gotten rid of, because who out there with power to make change want's to look bad killing a law that is *ahem* "proven" to save lives?

By the way, does everything that the police say automatically turn into a "proven" statistic?

What I believe is that the province is seeing a HUGE amounts of $$ from this law, $2K min fines for the 50 over law, 150 people charged with it over this weekend-are you kidding?
Insurance companies LOVE this also because of increased rates, again HUGE amounts of $$ to make them richer & richer.
Towing companies, impound yards, police quotas, lawyers, etc, etc...
Everyone is making more money, and everyone thinks it's ok because "well, he shouldn't have been going that fast in the first place".

Again... Driving on a highway with nobody around doing 50 over,
why are we getting so severly fined while not inconveniencing anyone else when driving, not getting in the way of anyone else, or not causing an accident?

The answer: MONEY
And if there's no money in it, we're not going to the moon.

vash169

The really interesting part is that those 80 people were indeed caught, but how many were actually convicted? I constantly see in the news people who were caught by that law but were provably not street racing. They may have been "racing" as defined by the new law, but if you're alone on the highway doing 150 you're not racing, you're just speeding. The charges get reduced yeah, but then you have to get your car out of the impound. What does it say about a law that's being enforced so brutally on the streets, but can often be all thrown away if you just argue against it a little?

TomsGT4

I wonder.
Could the police be documenting mods, or checking out those cars while they're in the impound?
Or do you need a warrant to do that?

vash169

I believe they need a warrant since the police don't own the impound lots (as far as I know). Although if you're accused of street racing they can probably get the warrants instantly, since being modified for the purposes of racing is part of the street racing law.

I think that's where they can catch a lot of us in the end, since in many cases we do provably modify our cars for the purposes of LEGAL racing on tracks, circuits, at fully insured events, etc. They rarely make the distinction between legal and illegal racing as in the end you're still racing, and like most zero-tolerance laws they tend to ignore things like circumstance and, y'know, legality.

It should also be noted that visual modifications, even something as simple as rims, can be used as an excuse to search your vehicle for other mods. A buddy of mine had his RX7 searched for an hour in the middle of the night by some dimwit who thought he had NOS (he doesn't). All it takes is some cop who's having a bad day to type in GT-Four and pull you over because nothing made in North America came up, ergo you're probably one of them kids from Tokyo Drift.